2010 NJ fluke season Bass Barn vote - Page 6

View Poll Results: 2010 New Jersey flounder season option vote

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • May29-Sept.6 6 fish at 18"

    62 22.22%
  • May23-sept.6 4 fish at 18"

    71 25.45%
  • May13-Sept.13 6 fish at 18.5"

    74 26.52%
  • May29-Sept.26 6 fish at 18.5

    64 22.94%
  • May21-Sept.12 6 fish at 18.5

    6 2.15%
  • Mat29-Sept.17 6 fish at 18.5

    5 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 130

Thread: 2010 NJ fluke season Bass Barn vote

  1. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    why do we pick an arbitrary number of options, isn't this all about negotiation,

    .....it happens every day in life, whether you are buying a card or an appliance or making a low ball offer on ebay

    how will you know what we can get if we present our options first?

    so to speak, leaving money on the table.

    imho, this poll does nothing to helping us get the most bang for our buck.

    the poll serves our informational interests only, to see what other barners think.

    to bring this poll to the meeting will only increase the chance that we could be short changing ourselves with the limit and size req's

    who is to say that they may offer a much better proposal than the one that we provide or they would be willing to look at better numbers than the poll lists?

    just doesn't make sense to take a chance and possibly low ball ourselves out of a much better position.

    let the council speak first.

    we also need to know that because we have organized the march on washington, you can bet the ranch that we have a better chance "far from a guarantee " that we are not afraid of legal action and public demonstration. the march and legal action gives all of us a" little bit bigger" hammer at the table

    fwiw

    btw, do not give us the stuff that party boat operators have a singular purpose, good negotiating is good business for everyone Who do you think has made the majority of the financial contributions for the legal action for the sea bass closure.

    however believe me we all appreciate any contribution to fund.



    The Beav

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    cape may
    Posts
    542

    Default

    I picked May 23 - Sept. 6 @ 18". I like the early start of May 13 - Sept.13 @18.5 but to me the larger keeper is not worth 10 days that most likely are not all going to be fishable. The forecast for this spring is above average rain and below average temperature.


  4. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Cape May
    Posts
    8,075

    Default

    May23-sept.6 4 fish at 18" was my pick

    Not even getting into the debate of what I would like because it doesn't matter at this point. Given the choices...here is what I chose...

  5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #79
    Supporting Vendor
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cape May NJ
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    We have to be carefull in going with the 18 1/2 inch size! Once we go up in size, we will never get it back. I think this is just a teaser to lure us all in to a bigger fish. Every year they have this option and we usually go against it. We would be at 20 inches if we picked the easy one each year.


    I say we stick with 18 inches!!
    Capt John Peterson
    609-408-8049



    Please check our website for recent reports and current availability.
    www.fishtheunreel.com

  7. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vincentown NJ
    Posts
    70

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by cee beaver View Post
    why do we pick an arbitrary number of options, isn't this all about negotiation,

    .....it happens every day in life, whether you are buying a card or an appliance or making a low ball offer on ebay

    how will you know what we can get if we present our options first?

    so to speak, leaving money on the table.

    imho, this poll does nothing to helping us get the most bang for our buck.

    the poll serves our informational interests only, to see what other barners think.

    to bring this poll to the meeting will only increase the chance that we could be short changing ourselves with the limit and size req's

    who is to say that they may offer a much better proposal than the one that we provide or they would be willing to look at better numbers than the poll lists?

    just doesn't make sense to take a chance and possibly low ball ourselves out of a much better position.

    let the council speak first.

    we also need to know that because we have organized the march on washington, you can bet the ranch that we have a better chance "far from a guarantee " that we are not afraid of legal action and public demonstration. the march and legal action gives all of us a" little bit bigger" hammer at the table

    fwiw

    btw, do not give us the stuff that party boat operators have a singular purpose, good negotiating is good business for everyone Who do you think has made the majority of the financial contributions for the legal action for the sea bass closure.

    however believe me we all appreciate any contribution to fund.



    The Beav
    Excellent commentary Captain, l hope those involved take heed.

  8. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brielle,NJ,USA
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cee beaver View Post
    why do we pick an arbitrary number of options, isn't this all about negotiation,
    Actually no, it is not about negotiation. The reductions or increases we are required to take each year are not negotiable, they are what they are, period.

    The "negotiation" is in the various options. In having to reduce 1%, how would you like to take it? The options are examples of various ways to meet the mandated reduction. Granted, as Adam and I said the poll is misleading since A) It is only half the current options available and B) The options are only a proof of methodology, and can and will change in number and variety between now and March 4th.

    But, no one is "tipping their hand" so to speak. A reduction is required and your only options are season, size and bag, period.

    how will you know what we can get if we present our options first?
    Our options came from knowing exactly what we can get, as I said it is predetermined (the amount of reduction or increase that is)

    imho, this poll does nothing to helping us get the most bang for our buck.
    The exact amount of bang for your buck is already known, it is public information and is not negotiable. The law does not allow anything but adherence to the TAL, period.

    who is to say that they may offer a much better proposal than the one that we provide or they would be willing to look at better numbers than the poll lists?
    See above. There are no "better numbers." The numbers have been set and we by law may only work within those numbers. We did not get wave 5 landings data yet, so perhaps there will be a minimal change in our reduction, but that is not yet known and is not influenced by anything we say or do, we are simply waiting for MRFSS to give the landings data for that time period that already occurred.

    just doesn't make sense to take a chance and possibly low ball ourselves out of a much better position.
    No such ting is possible, unless someone goes in and asks for something far more restrictive than what we are allowed. Of course, by looking at the (full) list of proposals we already know what is allowed, so that person would have to have NOT looked at this poll!

    let the council speak first.
    They always do!

    we also need to know that because we have organized the march on washington, you can bet the ranch that we have a better chance "far from a guarantee " that we are not afraid of legal action and public demonstration. the march and legal action gives all of us a" little bit bigger" hammer at the table
    That statement is not actually accurate. First, the rally in DC is dealing with federal issues, not our state Marine Fisheries Council. Second, legal action and public demonstration does little to affect the NJMFC council process when deciding our fluke regs since the MFC is working within the confines set forth by NMFS, MAFMC and ASMFC months in advance of this meeting.

    The "table" to which you refer was vacated months ago. This meeting coming up is the LAST meeting in a series of meetings that started last July. This is the final step in the process, not the first. The "negotiation" as you put has been going on since last summer, you missed your opportunity to negotiate. This is the final meeting, the eleventh hour so to speak where all primary decisions have been made and all possible options have been explored. The purpose of this meeting is to take those 8 months of work the rest of us have been doing and choose from the options that have been finalized as a result. We now know what type of and how much fruit we are allowed to pick, this is the meeting where we choose oranges or grapefruits, not decide to get more or a larger variety.

  9. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    tony

    thx for the input

    I have gained a lot more insight to the issues

    to the board, sorry for any mistating of the information
    Thx Again

    The Beav
    Last edited by cee beaver; 02-21-2010 at 11:45 AM.

  10. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brielle,NJ,USA
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cee beaver View Post
    tony

    thx for the input

    I have gained a lot more insight to the issues

    to the board, sorry for any mistating of the information
    Thx Again

    The Beav
    Hey, you did not misspeak, you asked lots of really good questions. Most people do not understand how this crap works. Most of us that do know wish we never needed to know!!!

    I saw your post as the perfect opportunity to explain to people how and why things are the way they are (or the way they are not) and tried to use every day examples and analogies to push the point across.

    Thank you for asking those questions, I think it will help everyone understand what to and what not to expect from the upcoming meeting.

  11. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    cape may
    Posts
    542

    Default

    If at all possible, attend the NJ marine fisheries meeting! The March 4, 2010 meeting will be held in the L. Manuel Hirshblond Room, Toms River Township Office, 33 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08753.
    Your attendance will make a difference.


  12. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    cape may
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Ron, Would you consider keeping this post as a sticky until March 4 ? The day of the NJ marine fisheries council meeting

  13. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    4,074

    Default

    Stuck untill the 4th to promote attendance .

  14. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ and Longboat Key, FL
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    What this poll shows is CLEAR: over 80% of those voting want to EXTEND the season, either by dropping the bag to 4 or increasing the minimum size to 18.5.

  15. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cedar Run, NJ
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    The problem is this poll is on 4 different sites and will the results on this sites do not match up to the other sites.

    Please, Please, Please do not let a poll speak for you. Go to the meeting and speak for yourself.
    Capt. Fran Verdi
    Francesca Marie
    27' CC May-Craft

    RFA-NJ Member - www.rfanj.org
    SSFFF Contributer

    "I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

  16. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    cape may
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by In Depth View Post
    Stuck untill the 4th to promote attendance .
    Excellent, Thank you

  17. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    cape may
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish The Drop Off View Post
    The problem is this poll is on 4 different sites and will the results on this sites do not match up to the other sites.

    Please, Please, Please do not let a poll speak for you. Go to the meeting and speak for yourself.
    As far as the value of this poll, the reputation of the Bass Barn speaks for its self ! This poll is not meant to discourage anyone from attending the meeting, Please if you can show up on Thursday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •