if you were shopping a new boat-where would you want the livewell?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: if you were shopping a new boat-where would you want the livewell?

Back corner(s), in front of console- meaning more gallons, behind seat????? Any reasons for the best placement?
    Underdog with one "g"

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Mine's on the starboard corner of the transom. I like it there simply because it's close to the action. The bad part is if you miss you've released your fish [img]tongue.gif[/img] Only had it happen once in three years ( 20" weakie)
    Paul G.

Proud member of The Ancient Mariners

I have two in the back...left and right. I would like a small one in the front for flounder fishing so I dont have to pass the minnows all day
    "I fish by myself because lots of people don't like me, and the ones that do like me, well, I don't want them to know my spots"

~TWIN Ds

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

What ever you decide, make sure pump is larger then 500gph if over 15 gal well , and well should be as close to pump as possible. If there is more than 1 well, each should have it's own pump and have flow adjustable jets/fills. I've also found not restricting discharge flow with fine mesh and checking for clogs often really cuts down on nitrate build up, espec with bunker.
    100 TON MASTERS,IGFA CERTIFIED CAPTAIN,SEA ISLE CITY MARINA

Yep just what the capt said. A gate valve is a great thing , i don't do any instalations without them. Just remember to keep the flow at the maximum setting possible. Normaly you want the tank filled as high as possible even if it means a slight overflow. This doesnt leave any air space at the top for the bait to get to get sloshed around in wile running in the rough stuff.
    This is the primary reason i have learned to appreciate the trasnsom mounted livewells. Especialy the full transom mounted ones. Any overflow just runs out the scuppers or simply bounces back over the transom keeping the cockpit as dry as possible. Also thats where 90% of your bait needs will be. The ultimate is a dual set up with the primary still being on the transom.
    I assume your talking after market instalation so there are things to consider. Type of boat , the layout of the boat and how the boats handling will be affected by the addition of what can be a lot of weight.
    These are all important when considering the placement of a new tank. Mine is in front of the console do to the nature of my boat . Yours may be different . If you have any questions you can always e mail me.

[ 12-30-2004, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

Mines in the floor, no need for a pump that way. I never use it though and really don't have a need for it. I do use it for a extra cooler sometimes [img]smile.gif[/img]

I bet you can keep a lot of bucktails alive that way [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My livewell is in the center of the transon. This is the best placement for less pounding of the bait in ruff seas.
    Charter Member "Pirates of Shawcrest"
    Charter Member of "CT Buoy"
    Member " The Ancient Mariner's"
    Member "50/50 Striper Club "

my live well is under my centcosole seat and is from heaven- 32gal/.out way/. big/put fish and put bait/circular/ able to hold chicken dolphin till get to dock/put 2 minow pots/keeps the stern free to fish/I love a clean transome even though I've outboards. If I had a live well on a 50ft it would be in the middle of the boat!
    \"Every day is a boat ride until we catch a fish, then it\'s a fishing trip\"

I PERFER MINE IN THE BOAT. HAHA I USE A COOLER

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in