Wahoo boats
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wahoo boats

Default Wahoo boats

What's everyone's thoughts good, bad, or indifferent on 1985 wahoo sidelman boats? Are they hard or soft chine? Are they all glass or glass over wood? Saw one for sale with a diesel I/O and was just considering if it was worth going to look at
    83 Aquasport/225 Optimax

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

A 1985?? I have no idea....didn't even know they made them at that time. Wahoos were divided into two models.....the soft chines and hard chines. They are all fiberglass I believe. Hell what do I know???

Ask on THT you might get some responses

In 85 i think they were Pacemakers. I went and looked at the plant in Berlin back in the day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

There were a brand of boats in the late 80s called Wahoo. They started in 1985 (to 1996) but only had 3 models..16 to 18 feet. Not sure what you are looking at.
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

Pacemaker Yacht Company had a 26 Wahoo hard chined model in 1985. Looks like they stopped production of the Wahoo in 1987. The soft chine hulls were made by the original Pacemaker company from 1971 to 1973 and were 25 foot models based on the info on the NADA site.
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

Quote Originally Posted by seaweezil View Post
    Saw one for sale with a diesel I/O and was just considering if it was worth going to look at
    I would NOT buy a I/O wahoo.

Now as for Wahoo's in general.......YOu are getting a 20 knot boat that's going to need upkeep. The gas tanks and the engines are the primary concern for you as a potential purchaser. The decks and the stringers also need to be examined. Wiring is a hole separate issue too. And steering. And instruments....etc

The hard chines are great boats IMO. I've done it all in mine. From the wrecks to the 19 fath lump to the Wilmington and the Lindy and every spot in between. They have a lot of weight and can push thru some heavy water pretty well.

Every now and then they come to market. Don't jump at the first one unless it's super clean. Probably talking 15 to 18k. Some have been tricked out and are asking 35 to 40K but that would have to be beyond belief good for me to recommend. I know of a soft chine that was redone with major $$$ and they dumped it at a huge loss to move up to a twin engine go fast center consul.

The Knot Guilty was redone by Viking. It's a soft chine. A lot of money. In Beach Haven there are at least 5 of them docked in between LEHYC and Morrisons. You should take a look and discuss with the owners.

I would not want to buy a beat up one for 10K or less unless you know a great mechanic.

everyone's thoughts good, bad, or indifferent on 1985 wahoo sidelman boats? Are they hard or soft chine? Are they all glass or glass over wood? Saw one for sale with a diesel I/O and was just considering if it was worth going to look at[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Re-Bait View Post
    A 1985?? I have no idea....didn't even know they made them at that time. Wahoos were divided into two models.....the soft chines and hard chines. They are all fiberglass I believe. Hell what do I know???

Ask on THT you might get some responses

Quote Originally Posted by flukin nuts View Post
    In 85 i think they were Pacemakers. I went and looked at the plant in Berlin back in the day.
    Time spent fishing isn\'t subtracted from your life, so fish more

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in