Starter boat shopping questions. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Starter boat shopping questions.

I agree with Capt Rich on his post won't be long till you want to venture out the Inlet
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wired98 View Post
    I agree with Capt Rich on his post won't be long till you want to venture out the Inlet
    Back when I was renting 17' skiffs, i would head to the inlet. and was VERY tempted to head out
    Now, I can't get out of the inlet fast enough most days

Hey, thanks all, been away from the computer for a couple of days, thanks for all the replies, Great stuff!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Phil View Post
    We just got in a boat that would be perfect for you. 17 Carolina Skiff with a 2013 50hp Yamaha 4 Stroke. Trailer too. Great starter boat you could trailer and store in your garage. $7500.
    Hey Captain Phil, thanks for the input. I will shoot you and email, and maybe stop by one day since you are local.

On good days I would not hesitate to go to an inlet in a 17ft Whaler or CS. I used to do it all the time back in the day down at the IR inlet in DE.
    Joey O likes this.
    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974 Penn Yan Avenger 23'
    Mercruiser 350 tunnel drive - Sold

1980 Penn Yan 30' Sportfish
    Twin GM 350 tunnel drives

I hope to be looking for something similiar in a couple years. I have a 23' CC now but want to get something smaller at some point. I always look around at different stuff. At this point i think the best backbay option is a fibergalss skiff with a V. I fish out of Cape May and there are days in the back that are choppy and there are plenty of boats creating wakes that a fiberglass V hull will handle better than a flat bottom boat. 18-19 foot with a trolling motor is what i would be looking for.
    riperoo likes this.

easy to buy hard to sell all of the time 30 + years of boat owner ship same problem every time I wanted a bigger or newer one .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rich View Post
    Your first boat should be a 19 footer. If you get a 17 footer, you'll be wishing you had a bigger boat within a year, I guarantee it.
    Fishing in South Jersey waters, even in the back bays, at times, can get dicey. Back bay fishing can get boring, especially when nothing is biting and there are lot's of 17 footers who can't go anywhere else. At least with a 19 footer you can fish the inlets and on good day get out in the ocean and still feel safe.
    With a 19' you're not limited to two guys, 3 is comfortable in a 19'. Most 19' do not draft that much more than a 17'. Unless it's a flat bottom 17. If that's the case, be prepared to stay wet my friend.
    I've seen plenty of 17' boats on a sand bar looking for that skinny water that everybody thinks the fish are hiding in. Go for a 19 footer, you'll be glad you did. I had a 19 footer, it took years to outgrow it.
    I don't know, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks (and that's totally cool). I just don't see the difference with another 2 feet of boat when it's snotty,,,,,I see the difference in skinny water. If I'm poking my head outside and turning around because of conditions in a 17',,,,,I'm just about positive I'd be turning around in a 19', or 21' also. Pretty much if you wanna enjoy yourself and conditions are miserable outside it's gonna suck whether you in a 17' or a 21'. NOW, when conditions suck outside, your PROBABLY going to be able to fish a lot more skinny water (especially with the long rod) in that 17'. Buy that 17' and make friends with a guy with a 23' and another buddy with a 28' and so on,.
    Jhudds, riperoo and Hardtop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey O View Post
    I don't know, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks (and that's totally cool). I just don't see the difference with another 2 feet of boat when it's snotty,,,,,I see the difference in skinny water. If I'm poking my head outside and turning around because of conditions in a 17',,,,,I'm just about positive I'd be turning around in a 19', or 21' also. Pretty much if you wanna enjoy yourself and conditions are miserable outside it's gonna suck whether you in a 17' or a 21'. NOW, when conditions suck outside, your PROBABLY going to be able to fish a lot more skinny water (especially with the long rod) in that 17'. Buy that 17' and make friends with a guy with a 23' and another buddy with a 28' and so on,.
    I'd agree. I fished a 17 early on with no issues. Once the family grew I moved up to a used GulfStream and repowered New at a fraction of the cost of a new rig. IMO the GS is the ideal boat for this area for anyone with a family who is looking for the versatility most growing families and fishermen are - again JMHO.
    I know you mentioned retirment but I'm thinking there may be some grand kids at some point.

Good luck with whatever your chooice and pass the positive experiences on to as many as you can
    Last edited by Hardtop; 03-29-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

How big was the Gulfstream?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rich View Post
    How big was the Gulfstream?
    Gulfstream is Grady Whites 23' WA cuddy with the bigger beam (9' if I remember correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey O View Post
    Gulfstream is Grady Whites 23' WA cuddy with the bigger beam (9' if I remember correctly)
    Correct. The wide beam makes it a heck of a stable platform
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

If you are 100% gonna stay in the back for fishing/crabbing a Carolina skiff with newer power & trolling motor is tough combo to beat. In my opinion there are plenty of great used boats available so I wouldn't look at new. I would keep it in a slip if possible, why waste time trailering when you just walk down to the dock and turn the key. Good Luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Duck View Post
    If you are 100% gonna stay in the back for fishing/crabbing a Carolina skiff with newer power & trolling motor is tough combo to beat. In my opinion there are plenty of great used boats available so I wouldn't look at new. I would keep it in a slip if possible, why waste time trailering when you just walk down to the dock and turn the key. Good Luck with your search.
    No doubt there are advantages to keeping in a slip, but there are disadvantages, and of course it depends on the size of the boat. Some of the cons are: security; including not being able to keep your stuff on a open boat, storms, sinking, hoping the bilge pump doesn't hang-up, bottom painting, and of course slip fees. Also, having to work on it at the slip is always a pain.

G3 1448, 20hp Honda.

I don't always know what I want, but I usually know what I don't want.

I'll send you and EMAIL asking about THIS boat!

I don't know what I want, but I'll know it when I see it!
    You cannot fix stupid, proof "Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it (Stephen Vizinczey)"!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in