Fluke 2020 - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Fluke 2020

Left LEI around 8:30 9:00ish fished till 4 yesterday. Caught about 15-20 shorts on every color/rig/bait/gulp on board at LER. Managed 1 22"er at the last drift call about a half mile off the reef. new penny 6" grub w/ minnow/meat about 1' behind a 8 oz ball caught her. Lost another keeper at boat that went nuts about 6' from the boat, acted like a bft.
    Last tuesday out of BI I managed a limit in 3 hours on gulp on tsunami teaser above ball jig.
    Good to be back here, only took 5 years to get my log in situated
    Retainer and wired98 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fished my favorite shore structure spot caught a 15 inch Black Drum on gulp shrimp. Lots of PiA pin fish around. Now I know why the locals have disappeared.
    "We are tired as Americans being told how were supposed to think or what's insensitive. What cracks me up is how people on this site hold these politicians up like they are GODS when most of them on (both sides) are scumbags."-Glenn Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by snprblue2 View Post
    Fished my favorite shore structure spot caught a 15 inch Black Drum on gulp shrimp. Lots of PiA pin fish around. Now I know why the locals have disappeared.
    What is the keeper size this year for black drum?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Retainer View Post
    What is the keeper size this year for black drum?
    14 inches. So technically a keeper. Threw it back though.
    Retainer likes this.
    "We are tired as Americans being told how were supposed to think or what's insensitive. What cracks me up is how people on this site hold these politicians up like they are GODS when most of them on (both sides) are scumbags."-Glenn Brooks.

Took advantage of some beautiful weather and conditions were perfect on the incoming tide. Bucktail Willie on board so I knew it was going to be a master/grasshopper day. We had a blast, with 2 19” fish in the box, willie had one and I had the other. But overall we tagged 19 fluke and caught close to 20 more. And a few sea robins and a snagged small sea ray.
    The tide just kept coming in, making the 6:30 am start go much longer than I expected. We were back at the dock at 12 noon. Then I had to go to work ugh.
    Willies big sea robinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12F35DC2-9B54-405F-B7DE-BC600BC90F4C.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	442519

Thanks for joining me Willie, always a pleasure. And he can now attest to how I lose a couple of big ones somehow!

Tough day out there today. Lots of boats, lots of big wakes, lots of swamping going on. Tried the inlet like I did on Tuesday. Nothing but shorts today. Snagged a doggie in the dorsal and thought I might have had the fish of the day, ugh.
    A lot of bunker pods in the inlet today. Also heard the OC reef was a lot of shorts and packed.
    Anyway, I might try some crabbing tomorrow. My daughter and I enjoyed the time out there, beautiful day, nice and cool by the ocean.
    rob likes this.

Fished in the boat basin this morning caught 2 18inchers. Lots of bites missed a really big flounder or red drum. They were destroying bass assassins. Only fished for about 1 hour and 30minutes cause it was hot out there. Can’t wait for the season to open. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BFE348E-9B70-463E-8B14-E9DD1C2F9782.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	442607
    Retainer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by snprblue2 View Post
    Fished in the boat basin this morning caught 2 18inchers. Lots of bites missed a really big flounder or red drum. They were destroying bass assassins. Only fished for about 1 hour and 30minutes cause it was hot out there. Can’t wait for the season to open. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3BFE348E-9B70-463E-8B14-E9DD1C2F9782.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	442607
    Good stuff ......I saw Elias V throwing back multiple 20"+ flounder casting near the rocks, looks like they are stacked up and waiting
    snprblue2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Duck View Post
    Good stuff ......I saw Elias V throwing back multiple 20"+ flounder casting near the rocks, looks like they are stacked up and waiting
    I have an oceanside spot I fish and friend fished there saturday and caught 25 flounder he said about 16 were over NC size.

I called in sick and spent the day fishing. I went over to the inlet for a couple drifts, and didn’t have any hits. I had a BW White Bucktail with a gulp shrimp at first then I was jigging a big Magictail chartreuse with a 6” Gulp grub twister. I moved over to drift behind LP and they have been installing a dock there resulting in a lot of noise and vibrations. I moved by there and jigged in 20-25’ of water, only managed a couple shorts. Water temp was an astounding 61 degrees.
    I think the fish were in shock.
    I tried the inlet a few more times, had a few more small flounder. All I saw were small flounder being caught.
    Then I moved over by the OCYC and drifted there towards the jet ski course. A couple little ones. Moved again, nothing, and tried Ships channel with 67 degree water at what was almost the top of the tide, nothing.
    So then I just went back to the dock, cleaned up the boat and the Teak. Probably won’t get out again until Friday, and I think I’m fishing with a friend out of TI, so we will hit the reefs down that way if the forecast is good.
    I wanted to start tagging some of these small flounder but of course I forgot my tag bag. There is always next time. Unless you’re like the guy I found in the river yesterday.

I got my 3 today in about 50ft of water, biggest 22" but there were lots of shorts. Most colors caught fish but white or new penny seemed best, Fluke belly was the hot ticket for the keepers.
    Retainer, TP3 and toolguy73 like this.

Got two 20" fluke today in 55-60 ft of water, a little sporty out there today .........not too many fish caught. One ate nuke chicken & got the other on salmon red
    snprblue2 and wired98 like this.

There are some days when the signs indicate you should go to work instead of fishing. I had many of those signs this morning yet I ignored them. Or maybe I thought the signs were just plain wrong. They weren’t.

Left out of LEI fished in 50-60' of water on saturday. No drift at all from 8:00 till 12:00, literally no drift. NE wind finally came after noon and gave us 2 good hours of fishin and 2 hours of too fast of a drift. I managed 4 keepers and another guy got 1 keeper. Not a ton of shorts maybe 15-20 and plenty of sea robins and a few skates in the morning. I did get one keeper in the morning but got the other 3 once we started drifting. 3 guys on board, I was the only one using gulp as usual. Old timers just can't give up squid and minnow on old school flounder rigs. biggest fish 21"s
    wired98 likes this.

Got out today to my beach spot. Caught 2 flounder both NC keepers. The biggest was measured at 21+inches 3lbs. The guys I fished with said I just missed NC citation size. Also caught a lizard fish. My buddies had a shark and a black drum but were still at it when I left. We used gulp shrimp, blue soft plastic minnows, live mullet, sand fleas, minnows, crab.

These guys are hardcore and fun to fish with. When a school of mullet swam by out of beach casting reach they both jumped in the water and proceeded to catch live bait.

I posted the pic of the 21 incher.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B170E72-5E0D-49B4-9FF5-4FFFB13B9720.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	442895

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in