Fluke 2020
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Fluke 2020

Default Fluke 2020

Well my friends, after 2 long years, I finally made it out late today for some fluke fishing on the 1978/2020 restored Retainer. This was more of a family outing this afternoon. But I had my 14 year old set up with a rod, while I was using a Bucktail. We only managed 3 drifts, and the wind never dropped or changed direction as predicted. No bites at all but it was great to be out. Ran into my buddy Starky out there today.
    Well I hope everyone has a good year, Iíll have Bucktail Willie with me early tomorrow morning. Iíll try to keep this thread updated as the season goes on. Catch Ďem up. Retainer
    Re-Bait likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Left the dock this morning at 6 am with Willie on board. I stopped a few red and green can areas known to me (and some others) to produce fluke this time of year. Water was 59, air temp? Who knows, when I was driving to the boat it was 45!
    Anyway, this was a little more than an hour into the outgoing. I was very surprised about the lack of bites, and Willie said this is what happens when the regs have us harvesting female fish.....I ended up with the first short, hit a BW Bucktail with a white peppered chartreuse fork tail.
    We moved to another channel and I had the second fish. Another short. Then Willie picked up a couple, then I had my 3rd. 3 hours of fishing and we had a total of 5 shorts to 14” and Willie had one doggie. All fluke tagged and released. Doggie doesn’t deserve a tag.
    Wind started picking up as we got closer to the low tide so we called it a day. It was like glass out there first thing this morning.
    Last edited by Retainer; 06-05-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Same down my way. Water cold. So far I have 3 fluke all shorts. 16, 15,17-1/2"
    Rageboat (Kevin Hoffman)
    boat name: "Outrage-Us"
    proud member of the Ancient Mariners
    www.land-n-seaphotography.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rageboat View Post
    Same down my way. Water cold. So far I have 3 fluke all shorts. 16, 15,17-1/2"
    Around midtide, I had 65 water, but we were commenting that this was surface temp with sun hitting it. Likely cold water on the bottom. We had plenty of terns working on grass shrimp and one fluke spit up a few.

Later in the day, back at the high tide around 5:30, I took my youngest out for a ride up the Patcong. Water was 71 up there.

rob

Up my way, I was by myself on Friday afternoon, found a place to tuck out of the wind, but forgot the net home. Managed to hook 2 keepers but only got 1 in the boat. The other was a good one, somewhere in the low 20's inches but hard to estimate otherwise, tried to do a leader lift, but it wasn't hooked well (had swallowed one of Bucktail willy's jigs but was apparently not firm in there). Many other bites, all on mackerel, except the two shorts that hit gulp on the top teaser hook.

Keep at it, great to read your out with your mates.
    Retainer likes this.

------------

Rob

i haven't seen one in person since last year

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Up my way, I was by myself on Friday afternoon, found a place to tuck out of the wind, but forgot the net home. Managed to hook 2 keepers but only got 1 in the boat. The other was a good one, somewhere in the low 20's inches but hard to estimate otherwise, tried to do a leader lift, but it wasn't hooked well (had swallowed one of Bucktail willy's jigs but was apparently not firm in there). Many other bites, all on mackerel, except the two shorts that hit gulp on the top teaser hook.

Keep at it, great to read your out with your mates.
    Ha, I remember I forgot my net once. Now I just keep it on the boat.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Retainer View Post
    Ha, I remember I forgot my net once. Now I just keep it on the boat.
    Normally yes, but it was the first splash the year and .... I also didn't have a rag on the boat anywhere...

BTW, went out same area yesterday and it was the dead sea for 2 of us... who can figure.

------------

Rob

On Monday we had lots of grass shrimp in the water. Terns were working on them, and we had fluke spitting them up. I’d think the fish will stay in a general area as long as food is around. I simply have not made enough trips to fish in different locations to find out where they are hiding. With the water so cold, I’m inclined to think the fluke are still in shallow water 5-10’ of water, maybe 15’ max. So my plan tomorrow morning is to fish some different flats on the outgoing tide.

Been out in basin have caught multiple flounder each time. The flounder are considered at high risk here so the season is closed with the exception of Mid August till Mid September. The problem is that if you are fishing for drum, blues, croaker, trout etc. you end catching catching these high risk fish. They are all over the place, from the basin to the beaches.

Really whacking them on a red jighead and bass assassin purple flake minnows.
    "We are tired as Americans being told how were supposed to think or what's insensitive. What cracks me up is how people on this site hold these politicians up like they are GODS when most of them on (both sides) are scumbags."-Glenn Brooks.

Was drifting not far from the new retainer this morning. Ended with 2 18/22 very nice fish. A couple shorts and 2 blues for shark bait. White bucktail- large Minnieís.
    Retainer likes this.
    1991 Mako 17

Bucktail Willie on board this morning. Started our drift about 7 am with an hour of tide still to come in. We were lined up with other boats on a ledge, and it was entertaining as we could all talk to each other. Willie started it off with a short, then he had another short. Tide switched and so did our drift over to a red can where I picked up a fat 16.5 on a pink Bucktail. That was it. All 3 fish tagged with a healthy release.
    I did see a Mako go by me when I was at the red can. Was that you Fish8?

Im sure it was it was a tight little group. I’m docked next to your buddy schmeggy. Although I won’t hold that against you.
    Retainer likes this.
    1991 Mako 17

Quote Originally Posted by fish8 View Post
    Im sure it was it was a tight little group. I’m docked next to your buddy schmeggy. Although I won’t hold that against you.
    5 boats and all of us dock at same marina.. go figure, one is next to me, we share the same finger dock.
    Schmeggy let me tell ya, he texted already, said I need to watch myself, since he has eyes on me. Lol

My youngest went with me this morning. I had a 16.5” caught on a Bucktail Willie rig, it hit a big minnow. Then I lost a bluefish, don’t know how, it was ripping back and forth, my girl was amazed. Then she had a flounder, about a 15” on salted herring. She quit and was getting some sun while I made one last drift. Ended up with my first keeper, 18.5” on salted herring. I knew it was a keeper when I was bringing it up.
    Saw Mojo Rising out there, he had a decent day.
    Got a little crowded after the tide turned, but it wasn’t too bad. A nice day weather wise. Water was clean, about 66 on incoming and 68 after the turn of the tide.
    Attachment 441607
    Last edited by Retainer; 06-06-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    jdps150, wired98, fish8 and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in