bleeding out stripers - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bleeding out stripers

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajoe View Post
    I'd be willing to bet than in a side by side taste test, few would be able to tell the difference between a bled and an unbled striper.

Ive cleaned unblead and blead in front of people. It's a huge difference

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I'd be willing to bet than in a side by side taste test, few would be able to tell the difference between a bled and an unbled striper.
    I cooked a bled striper and an unbled striper last year in a taste test. I cooked it the same way -- lightly sauteed in butter (on the same day I caught) and asked 5 people (besides myself) if they could tell the difference between this plate of fish and that plate of fish, no one could distinguish a difference (including myself).
    gettinwet was right all along about President Trump and I was wrong!

Been bleeding Weakfish,Stripers, Tuna for at least the last 25 years

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Barnegat Light Mike View Post
    I cooked a bled striper and an unbled striper last year in a taste test. I cooked it the same way -- lightly sauteed in butter (on the same day I caught) and asked 5 people (besides myself) if they could tell the difference between this plate of fish and that plate of fish, no one could distinguish a difference (including myself).

Taste test, I agree. People can't tell. But as for cleaning and storing. It's much nicer without all the blood, and I wouldn't like to package and store bloody fish. I'd be curious to have the taste test after the fish has been packaged and stored for a few weeks or months.

No question bleed everything but if You can't taste the diff do whatever - and the quicker the better - I'm
    Not a fan of keeping them alive just to keep them alive - the stress they go through while In captivity has an effect .02. Ever taste an Acme lobster that's been sitting in a tank compared to a fresh Maine lobster ?

I bleed every fish we catch, unless were in a tournament. If you can't taste the difference, then it makes more sense to bleed them. Cleaning a bled fish at the dock makes a lot less of a mess and it sure looks a lot better when they are in a baggie...which is important to me when it is for a charter. Ive also noticed lets liquid in the baggie or shrink wrap before you freeze them...another reason to bleed your fish. After you cook the fish the bled fish looks better too, in my opinion...it looks more white. Bluefish are a no brainer.

Capt. Gary Dugan
    Irish Jig Sportfishing
    Mystic Island, NJ
    [email protected]

Agree 100%. Most people can't tell the difference between a fish that's fresh, and one that's been frozen, fried, and dipped in cocktail sauce. But where it does make the biggest difference in taste is when you cook the fish with as little seasoning as possible.

A little bit of oil, salt, pepper and a light baking, so that it actually tastes like fish (instead of tartar, cocktail, or lemons), and it's easier to tell. But even then, it's not make or break.

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Taste test, I agree. People can't tell. But as for cleaning and storing. It's much nicer without all the blood, and I wouldn't like to package and store bloody fish. I'd be curious to have the taste test after the fish has been packaged and stored for a few weeks or months.
    Yep, even if it's only for the cosmetics, give me a freezer full of nice, white, vac packs instead of a bloody mess any day.
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

What does a bled white meat fish taste like compared to an unbled one?

If you are really concerned with having the best possible meat, you shouldn't be cuttin the fish for 2-3 days. Bleed it or not it's up to you but then gut it and pack it with ice and refrig. for 2 or 3 days before filleting. "Fresh" caught, cut and cooked ASAP hours later, isn't the best at all. It the fish rests and goes through it's enzymatic process it's markedly better..
    Last edited by LBI-Waterman; 11-19-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Banned

Depends if your going to freeze it or not. When you eat it fresh there isn't much difference. However I have found it makes all the difference in the world if your going to freeze it and eat it later, that goes for just about all fish.

Also, there is another upside to bleeding other than taste, its makes it way easier to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by LBI-Waterman View Post
    What does a bled white meat fish taste like compared to an unbled one?

If you are really concerned with having the best possible meat, you shouldn't be cuttin the fish for 2-3 days. Bleed it or not it's up to you but then gut it and pack it with ice and refrig. for 2 or 3 days before filleting. "Fresh" caught, cut and cooked ASAP hours later, isn't the best at all. It the fish rests and goes through it's enzymatic process it's markedly better..
    Is the same true if it's bled (boat), iced (boat), filleted (home), and then put in the fridge for a few days?

(seriously asking)
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    Is the same true if it's bled (boat), iced (boat), filleted (home), and then put in the fridge for a few days?

(seriously asking)

Sure you can do that
    and it's better than cooked right away but it is better to 'age' it whole. All proteins (meat) are better 'aged' especially mammals

Yes but it's a lot better at the cleaning table.. Bled fish not as much of a mess

Serious question: where are you guys cleaning fish that blood and a mess is such a great concern? I have a fish cleaning station with a sink and water next to my house. I don't care how much blood gets anywhere. I use the hose attached to the sink and rinse everything as necessary. Local feral cats clean up any leftovers on the ground.
    gettinwet was right all along about President Trump and I was wrong!

That's why I bleed them... Makes a huge difference at the cleaning table

Guys, bleed EVERY FISH YOU INTEND TO EAT. In fact, bleeding is just one step in the proper way to "field dress" your catch on the boat.

Read the links below and follow the simple steps to prepare your catch utilizing the Japanese IKI JIMI method, I've been doing it for years now and swear to you it makes a huge difference!

http://www.anglers-secrets.com/how-to-keep-fish-fresh/
    And
    http://www.anglers-secrets.com/what-...s-to-the-fish/
    Len
    Finest Kind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in