jigging jigging jigging popping popping poppoing - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: jigging jigging jigging popping popping poppoing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Manning View Post
    Well, for one, it doesn't make sense to jig when there is a really fast drift or a 4 knot current. (and no you can't just use a heavier jig) ..
    Im no pro at jigging but i was on a boat where we went 12 for 15 on bft tuna to 200+lbs in 4kts of current or better so there goes that arguement. As far as gear goes the same can be said for guys that buy their own heavy tackle gear and only fish once or twice a yr there isnt much price difference between a high end 50wide setup and a high end jigging set up.

I dont jig much i mostly cast more and my casting rods werent overly expensive(200 for the blanks and less than 100 in components) But i enjoy doing it and you really cant put a price tag on that.And you can be sure that i will use my tuna casting rods probably 10 times the amount that most will use there 50w setups. To each their own just because someone chooses to buy high end gear doesnt mean you get to take a shot at them.If someone works hard to be able to buy the gear that makes them happy then so be it and let them be happy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J FLORES View Post
    Wow! all this debating...cant we all get along

I hate jigging and popping...it has to be the worst way to catch fish..and not many at that...I hope everyone stops doing it

Besides theres no way you can land a 200lb tuna in 20min. using a spinning reel and a piece of Capellini as a rod
    Well i dont know about capellini rod john but i was very surprised to see you have a 200# class bft tuna to the boat last trip on that short little so called mickey mouse rod of yours,And im pretty sure I had my 200# class bft tuna to the boat in 20 mins or so on my 8ft capellini casting rod(in 4 kts of current) This all must have been by accident or we just got incredibly lucky.

I dont think price of gear makes the fisherman. Plenty of guys out there who have been fishing so long they probably couldnt care less about a computer but could jig the hell out of some tuna gear old or new. Al Coley of the Betty W (sheepshead bay) believed in the whole boat throwing the jigs ( old vikes ) to get the fish started and then dropping the hook and started chunking . If you are an accomplished tuna fisherman you should be able to catch fish either on bait or jig. Plenty of trips I ve put plenty of meat on the boat on bait then when they get wild throw the jig and put a few more . I personally wouldnt jig all night without any bait in the water as i feel you are wasting your time while you could be doing other things like catching squid , which i have seen personally catch 10 x more tuna overall in my lifetime than anything else. Bait , jig, trolling , spearfishing whatever. Unless you are chaseing bird schools , or schools on top its pretty hard to get them started by just throwing poppers into an empty ocean with no chunks in the water . Price of gear is relative to what you can afford , but should'nt stop any one from pursuing there favorite quarry. Truth is jigging been around for years , and tackle is like any thing else constantly evolving .
    dead sticks in the bow

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Jigging sucks everyone stop doing it... it is really no fun

Quote Originally Posted by vannstandsmerke View Post
    Well i dont know about capellini rod john but i was very surprised to see you have a 200# class bft tuna to the boat last trip on that short little so called mickey mouse rod of yours,And im pretty sure I had my 200# class bft tuna to the boat in 20 mins or so on my 8ft capellini casting rod(in 4 kts of current) This all must have been by accident or we just got incredibly lucky.

There is no way you can land 200lb tuna on that rod.

I will comment on rods. I page at a time.
    Jay, I have seen $300, 500, 1000 rods. I ask one person, anyone to tell me the specifics of what makes a rod $500-$1,000. Caution; if you believe that you are going to use the new Super graphite, latest carbon, fanvy terms for the next generation of shaft materials you wont get very far with me. Since the early eighties this song and dance contuinues, just a diffent singer, Yea right, there is a magic ingredient Graphite, carbon, particular modulas that is better than the last. I dont didsagree that the matrials might be different, but they each carried the same HYPE. Thats right, hype.
    Sea Bear, you make some good points. You claim that this is new and amazing, recent advancements, and I see where many others make that claim. Perhaps you are amazed, and it might be new, but advanced? Far from it. You suggest that longer and heavier rods are outdated. You are not even close. They are still popular, and are still the best methods of jigging.
    Your cavemen arguements dont cut it. You and I know full well that a party boat deckhand will jig all day long and never complain about the rod's weight. THis is a fact, and yes as you say they are using heavier gear. You alluded to men wearing panties in a separate post, and with this new group I think you found them. Tell me Bear, has does a guy like you or those that fall for this crap brag about fishing 26 lbs of pressure, jigging all day and then worry about a rod weighing one or two ounces lighter? answer that. That is one of their key arguements. You and I both know that if you go to a professional group, party boat deckhands and captains and say my rod is light they will laugh at you, and you know it. Bear you are no doubt a good fisherman, but to believe that this stuff is "advanced", better etc., respectfully I disagree. 90% of the guys doing this feel that this is the "in" "cool" crowd. And if you dont agree, well then you are outdated. [trolling is fishing]
    Captain John, you opinions are well respected. You mention getting a bunch of jig rods and reels. I can see that as an advantage to offer this equipment, If the jig bite is on, like Sea Bear said, you will have a load of fun. I'm sure you know you need the other gear as well, 30's 50's etc.
    Joemvtuna, If the guys from the Betty W listened to this "new bunch" they would get sea sick. Very good points. I agree that if it's in your budget and you dont mind the high cost, why not. But to make believe that everything else is outdated and only this stuff will work[and thats what those that market it do] is Smoke and Mirrors on it's best day.
    I think Jay started a good thread, perhaps could have been worded different, but I understand his and Eli's positions. I think if it were a weekday you would have more jumping in. I will say this about the new Japanese style jig rods. I have seen enough design flaws in most of these rods that I am convinced that for the money spent you are getting ripped.
    The quality is second rate. Yes they have the new secret ingredient that is in a rod priced at $300-500, with the wrong guides,grips etc, and the premium is in the secret formula within the blankYeah right! You dont see it but its there. This is now an outdated sales ploy.
    I yield the floor.

Fish Poison Custom Rods - By Kevin Bogan.
    212 Broadway Point Pleasant Beach N.J. 08742
    732 892 8822 [email protected]
    AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    ~ Killin' Fish for a long, long time ~
    Fishing Rods = Made in America
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

Quote Originally Posted by J FLORES View Post
    There is no way you can land 200lb tuna on that rod.
    absolutely not john and those spinning reels suck, metered line is a waste and a 22oz rod is ideal .

this thread is pretty ridiculous. i dont fly fish, but lots of guys are nuts about it. to me, catching a 12" trout on a 4wt rod doesn't seem that appealing to me, but i dont feel the need to slam someone else for it.

of course, we've all used a jig, lure, plug/popper at some point since we all began fishing. no one is claiming that no one jigged before 2005. but there have been advances in both technology, techniques, equipment, etc. the "vertical" or "speed" or "mechanical" (whatever you want to call it) style is relatively new to the US. its grown in popularity recently, i guess is upsetting to some.

if someone posting a question about a jig upsets you - its time to go out and fish

wow this is quite a thread. If a person want to spend a grand on a jigging rod whats the difference if he goes out and gets a 1000 dollar 130 rod from someone? The jigging craze has taken off quite well! Its a different way to fish for pelagic fish that is exciting in its own right. It takes time to learn the many ways to successfully jig for tuna, strait up and down doesnt cut it some times and to be honest is quite boring when your looking over your shoulder and your buddy is getting multiple bites, saw it first hand on my boat. Do you need a 1000.00 rod and a 800 dollar reel? no, same as we dont need to drive around in a million dollar car, but that million dollar car will have certain things over a ford festiva. same with the jigging equipment. Why bash a way of fishing? if anything adapt to it and offer a product that is better then what you bash. People are still gonna troll and chunk and people are gonna jig and some are gonna want the best out there and some will just want what will get them by.

I love jigging, well I love to watch people jig and get a ton of bites verses trolling or chunking, I think its more exciting but as a charter boat taking out clients I have to do whats best to put them on the fish. A beginner jigger wont be able to produce the amount of bites that a experienced jigger would and they may deter them but if they stick with it then they will get to that level. Once at that level then they will see a need for more improved gear over their "get by" gear.

Would I take a group of inexperienced guys out who want to try jigging.... sure I would but I would be prepared to troll and chunk as well. I would also try to teach them the different ways to jig as there are many and everyday is different as to what the tuna respond to.
    Capt. Kobey Treadwell
    (609)846-5874

Banned

My original jigging rod is a calstar 700xxh built by Martin Yoshida of Yo's tackle in SoCal that i bought while working as a deckhand on the west coast.The rod is not pricey at all but is a beast and i know the beating that it can take and its also landed yft close to 300# while bait fishing the rod is a great all around rod i love it.Now as far as the jigging rods go some i like and some i dont although i got to test a spinal jigging rod on a recent trip and to be honest i thought 20 different times that the rod was going to snap and it never did so i keep on having to eat my words and be surprised at what these lightweight rods can do.Will i ever go buy a 500$ jigging rod? probably not but i won't rip on someone if they do.I enjoy the casting aspect of tuna fishing alot more than i do the jigging aspect so i will never be a die hard jigging guy like some of my buddies but i will continue to use whatever gear it takes to land a fish.

And can someone please tell me what the difference is if use a tiagra 50 wide or a daiwa saltige to catch a tuna? they both cost roughly the same price and my rod cost roughly the same price as a nice stand up rod so whats the difference?

Banned

Default It is senseless

Why wonder if someone wants to spend $50K or more on a car?

Why spend $1M or more on a house?

Why worry about it, because it doesn't affect you what rods and reels that someone else buys for themselves?

If someone wants to buy a 50 wide and a all-roller broom stick to jig with, do I care? No. If they ask my opinion I will offer it, but I am not going to go up to them and force my opinion upon them.

Calstar 700 xh wrapped by kevin bogan with accurate 665 narrow bought used total about 400 $ has caught me plenty of tunas , marlin , yellowtail . I love it and I feel confident with a fish on it and it was affordable for me. Thats the key personal preference. You could buy a saltiga or a saltist one much more than the other , but both quality reels. Tackle ho's will always be just that. Guys who fish hard with the tackle they are comfortable using will consistantly outfish the crowd. Innovations in tackle are constantly popping up , things that work stick others dont. Good fisherman of any era always adapt and are able use all tools available to them to put more fish in the boat . I have with alot of these jigging purists on this site and others and will say this when its hot many tunas hit the deck in rapid succession , but usually that bite comes and goes. Bait rods can go off all night here and there in a pick while jigging is dead. A little of both is optimum in my eyes. Good fisherman are good fisherman . Guys who fish for a living would (rod and reel ) would logically get the most bang for their buck and would be skilled at both bait and jig.
    dead sticks in the bow

to say one method of jigging is best is wrong. thats like saying sardines are the best bait no matter what youre fishing for or where youre fishing.

I agree . There has been plenty of nights where jigs just did not catch and also nights where it was game on any jig. Then some night a good mix .
    dead sticks in the bow

Quote Originally Posted by vannstandsmerke View Post
    And can someone please tell me what the difference is if use a tiagra 50 wide or a daiwa saltige to catch a tuna? they both cost roughly the same price and my rod cost roughly the same price as a nice stand up rod so whats the difference?
    the biggest differance.
    other than possibly max drag,
    and
    line capacity.

is
    the Saltiga weights appox 25oz...1LB10oz

the 50 wide weights about 83oz...5LB.1oz

Its just a matter if you want to Jig fish with alot of extra weight.

i find it hard to speed jig more than 45minutes with light stuff.
    If i had to use a 50 wide..i would only be able to jig maybe 15 minutes.

I have been on many trips where i see guys using,
    heavier Long rods heavy reels trying to Speed jig.
    they only last a short while.

this goes without saying,
    but
    the longer you can stay at the rail jigging, the better chance of hooking up
    JPR Custom Fishing Rods!

Proud Sponsor Of The Bass Barn
    President. Tri-State Custom Rodbuilders

ROD COMBOS
    HONEY LAMIGLAS TOG RODS
    TRUTH REELS
    CENTURY RODS

Home of the FISH CIRCUS RODS, featured on FISH MAVERICKS

SHOP HOURS
    9AM-6PM... M-F
    Saturday-Sunday,, call or text 610-316-3594

OUTFITTING AND CHARTERS,
    ASK ABOUT THE JPR CAPTAINS PROGRAM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paul708 View Post
    the biggest differance.
    other than possibly max drag,
    and
    line capacity.

is
    the Saltiga weights appox 25oz...1LB10oz

the 50 wide weights about 83oz...5LB.1oz

Its just a matter if you want to Jig fish with alot of extra weight.

i find it hard to speed jig more than 45minutes with light stuff.
    If i had to use a 50 wide..i would only be able to jig maybe 15 minutes.

I have been on many trips where i see guys using,
    heavier Long rods heavy reels trying to Speed jig.
    they only last a short while.

this goes without saying,
    but
    the longer you can stay at the rail jigging, the better chance of hooking up
    Yeah thanks Paul i know the technical difference! I was referring to price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in