jigging jigging jigging popping popping poppoing - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: jigging jigging jigging popping popping poppoing

Quote Originally Posted by vannstandsmerke View Post
    Yeah thanks Paul i know the technical difference! I was referring to price.
    what about the price?
    JPR Custom Fishing Rods!

Proud Sponsor Of The Bass Barn
    President. Tri-State Custom Rodbuilders

ROD COMBOS
    HONEY LAMIGLAS TOG RODS
    TRUTH REELS
    CENTURY RODS

Home of the FISH CIRCUS RODS, featured on FISH MAVERICKS

SHOP HOURS
    9AM-6PM... M-F
    Saturday-Sunday,, call or text 610-316-3594

OUTFITTING AND CHARTERS,
    ASK ABOUT THE JPR CAPTAINS PROGRAM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paul708 View Post
    what about the price?
    That there isnt much difference in price between the two!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Bear View Post
    Kevin, I'm not even sure where to start. The quality is second rate?!?! Tell that to the 150LB tuna that was laying at me feet w/ my jigging rod that consisted of fuji graphite reel seat, lightweight conventional guides, and non-aluminum gimbal. For years we have heard, you need machined reel seats/gimbals and roller guides to catch big fish. Now we know how wrong we all were. 30+lbs of drag at times and not even any close sign to a failure from my gear. When I was new to tuna jigging I made the mistake of buying a rod from you. One of those 7' glass jobs that I paired w/ a senator. The thing weighed a TON. After 5 minutes of using the rod I had enough. You told me it was going to be my favorite rod. I hated it. I sold it and am never looking back! This new generation of gear blows your heavy glass 7 footers out of the water. You build a nice rod but unfortunately stick to the wrong blanks. I'm done. Keep building from your blanks selection Kevin and don't expect to see me in your shop asking for one. You can find me at places like Kil's shop where I can pick up gear that looks like the gear you'd expect in 2010. Yesteryears gear is what you sell. Not everyone fishes on a partyboat (the only place 7' tuna rods might belong) and nobody cares what some schmuck mate fishes with (they usually have the crappiest gear on the whole boat w/ their lame pay). A grafighter might make a nice party boat bait rod, but that's where it completely ends. They are far from a modern day jig rod.

You make a load of claims and have NOTHING to back yourself up. Show me the broken reel seats, broken guides, etc! If this quality is so second rate why are guys catching 100-200lb+ bluefin in 15 minutes on this gear??? I can't understand your resiliency to embrace the exceptional new equipment we have at our disposal, what are you trying to prove? That yesteryears tackle works? WE KNOW IT DOES! Now we have tackle that works BETTER. Thats the key point! You allude to us jiggers being "wimps" because we want such light rods. How can a rod be too light? Thats like saying my bank account has too much money! Your claims are pathetic and stand no ground against the exceptional jigging and popping tackle those from the Far East have brought to our great sport.
    You said everything I wanted to say..

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default What's your true intention?

Are you gonna stand in the middle of the road yelling to a driver "why do you "idiot" drive Mercedes Benz 600s when a malibu can get you there with no problem" ?

Why do you keep doing samething over and over every day everywhere on the net?
    I wish you just do what you think you do the best and don't bother others whether they drive Bentley or Yugo because you do this everywhere as more than just your own opinion.
    Consumers will judge the rest.

Ok, I 've been your booth twice in the past.
    I would not use your rod for any fishing because I did not like it AT ALL.
    So what???

Quote Originally Posted by joedmvtuna View Post
    Calstar 700 xh wrapped by kevin bogan with accurate 665 narrow bought used total about 400 $ has caught me plenty of tunas , marlin , yellowtail . I love it and I feel confident with a fish on it and it was affordable for me. Thats the key personal preference. You could buy a saltiga or a saltist one much more than the other , but both quality reels. Tackle ho's will always be just that. Guys who fish hard with the tackle they are comfortable using will consistantly outfish the crowd. Innovations in tackle are constantly popping up , things that work stick others dont. Good fisherman of any era always adapt and are able use all tools available to them to put more fish in the boat . I have with alot of these jigging purists on this site and others and will say this when its hot many tunas hit the deck in rapid succession , but usually that bite comes and goes. Bait rods can go off all night here and there in a pick while jigging is dead. A little of both is optimum in my eyes. Good fisherman are good fisherman . Guys who fish for a living would (rod and reel ) would logically get the most bang for their buck and would be skilled at both bait and jig.
    You have said it well here. If a guy can fish, and just happens to have the wrong rod he will probably find a way to get it done.
    I think the original question could have been worded different Fisher Dan actually answered it. If a rod is $10,000 and the guy likes it, its a good rod. Especially if he goes to a place whre the bite's red hot, and they cant help to catch a few, and now their hero's, just ask them. I think that this thread will help continue this debate and different specifics will arrise.
    In time it will come out that its way overblown.
    "Yes my friends, there is a secret new material being used here"
    Just ask the sales person of this product. Simply, why $350-500?
    THese prices excede the cost of many American made products. If they are in fact better then its a bargain, if they are made inferior as most rods that come out of the "Far East", well thats to be expected. And at that point they are just overpriced. I have met guys that have $5000 , they dont care,m but hey guy's the real world isnt going to fall for it.

Fish Poison Custom Rods - By Kevin Bogan.
    212 Broadway Point Pleasant Beach N.J. 08742
    732 892 8822 [email protected]
    AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    ~ Killin' Fish for a long, long time ~
    Fishing Rods = Made in America
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Bear View Post
    Kevin, I'm not even sure where to start. The quality is second rate?!?! Tell that to the 150LB tuna that was laying at me feet w/ my jigging rod that consisted of fuji graphite reel seat, lightweight conventional guides, and non-aluminum gimbal. For years we have heard, you need machined reel seats/gimbals and roller guides to catch big fish. Now we know how wrong we all were. 30+lbs of drag at times and not even any close sign to a failure from my gear. When I was new to tuna jigging I made the mistake of buying a rod from you. One of those 7' glass jobs that I paired w/ a senator. The thing weighed a TON. After 5 minutes of using the rod I had enough. You told me it was going to be my favorite rod. I hated it. I sold it and am never looking back! This new generation of gear blows your heavy glass 7 footers out of the water. You build a nice rod but unfortunately stick to the wrong blanks. I'm done. Keep building from your blanks selection Kevin and don't expect to see me in your shop asking for one. You can find me at places like Kil's shop where I can pick up gear that looks like the gear you'd expect in 2010. Yesteryears gear is what you sell. Not everyone fishes on a partyboat (the only place 7' tuna rods might belong) and nobody cares what some schmuck mate fishes with (they usually have the crappiest gear on the whole boat w/ their lame pay). A grafighter might make a nice party boat bait rod, but that's where it completely ends. They are far from a modern day jig rod.

You make a load of claims and have NOTHING to back yourself up. Show me the broken reel seats, broken guides, etc! If this quality is so second rate why are guys catching 100-200lb+ bluefin in 15 minutes on this gear??? I can't understand your resiliency to embrace the exceptional new equipment we have at our disposal, what are you trying to prove? That yesteryears tackle works? WE KNOW IT DOES! Now we have tackle that works BETTER. Thats the key point! You allude to us jiggers being "wimps" because we want such light rods. How can a rod be too light? Thats like saying my bank account has too much money! Your claims are pathetic and stand no ground against the exceptional jigging and popping tackle those from the Far East have brought to our great sport.
    Bill, I think you might want to go back though this post and look at what you have said. After all, I'll be able to use your wisdom here in the future.
    I'm surprised on your negative comments here to both barn members and party boat deckhands. In one day alone you are putting panties on another man, you call party boat deckhands shmucks, you ridicule another man's salary. I will refer to these comments again I'm sure.

AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

I know a guy who refuses to troll for stripers or use clams. I outfishshed him last year for bass only because I will employ any method. Bottom line is I will use whatever produces on any given day. If chunking is putting meat on the deck start cutting bait. If its a troll bite with islander hoos start rigging ballyhoo and if the fish are deep and the jigging is hot break out the butterflys.Im sure we all have a preference as to which we enjoy. But you dont need to break the bank on any equipment to get in the game for any type of fishing. A torium 30 with 80lb braid on a trevala will put a 200lb bluefin in the boat as was demonstrated all spring long in Hatteras. I think its foolish to argue which is better when your really arguing which you prefer. And god knows I prefer blondes but if a hot redhead were game im not throwing her out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by greaterpark View Post
    Are you gonna stand in the middle of the road yelling to a driver "why do you "idiot" drive Mercedes Benz 600s when a malibu can get you there with no problem" ?

Why do you keep doing samething over and over every day everywhere on the net?
    I wish you just do what you think you do the best and don't bother others whether they drive Bentley or Yugo because you do this everywhere as more than just your own opinion.
    Consumers will judge the rest.

Ok, I 've been your booth twice in the past.
    I would not use your rod for any fishing because I did not like it AT ALL.
    So what???
    where in wayne do you live?

Jay, I have not read past page one but I have to say you sound like a fool. Sorry bud.

I retract the last statement Jay. After reading through the whole thread I have to slightly agree with what I think you are getting at but I am not getting involved other than those prices are pretty ridiculous but to each his own.
    Last edited by chaser; 04-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Thumbs up jimmi.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmijacks View Post
    And god knows I prefer blondes but if a hot redhead were game im not throwing her out of bed.

Nor would I a brunette!

I have been watching this thread and a few other threads as well on the 360 and can honestly say that there is no place for me in threads like this! and I will continue to enjoy the show!
    capt.Mike Spinelli/FAST FORWARD/32 SCARAB

Sea bear you got a lot of balls calling another mans product out on here when he makes a living selling rods, thats the type of **** that gets you poped in the jaw. I mean we all have our own feeling and opinions but keep them to your self or send a private message not blast someone on bass barn. Your a young kid and have blue fin jigged 2 times in your life, your no hemmingway so settle down. And dont say stupid **** cause youve caught 4 blue fins on jigs. Everyones got there own opinion. Stop being an internt expert and put your time in and get respect there not running your mouth on here and bad mouthing people who make a living on here.
    Dante

Quote Originally Posted by sea bear View Post
    kevin, i'm not even sure where to start. The quality is second rate?!?! Tell that to the 150lb tuna that was laying at me feet w/ my jigging rod that consisted of fuji graphite reel seat, lightweight conventional guides, and non-aluminum gimbal. For years we have heard, you need machined reel seats/gimbals and roller guides to catch big fish. Now we know how wrong we all were. 30+lbs of drag at times and not even any close sign to a failure from my gear. When i was new to tuna jigging i made the mistake of buying a rod from you. One of those 7' glass jobs that i paired w/ a senator. The thing weighed a ton. After 5 minutes of using the rod i had enough. You told me it was going to be my favorite rod. I hated it. I sold it and am never looking back! This new generation of gear blows your heavy glass 7 footers out of the water. You build a nice rod but unfortunately stick to the wrong blanks. I'm done. Keep building from your blanks selection kevin and don't expect to see me in your shop asking for one. You can find me at places like kil's shop where i can pick up gear that looks like the gear you'd expect in 2010. Yesteryears gear is what you sell. Not everyone fishes on a partyboat (the only place 7' tuna rods might belong) and nobody cares what some schmuck mate fishes with (they usually have the crappiest gear on the whole boat w/ their lame pay). A grafighter might make a nice party boat bait rod, but that's where it completely ends. They are far from a modern day jig rod.

You make a load of claims and have nothing to back yourself up. Show me the broken reel seats, broken guides, etc! If this quality is so second rate why are guys catching 100-200lb+ bluefin in 15 minutes on this gear??? I can't understand your resiliency to embrace the exceptional new equipment we have at our disposal, what are you trying to prove? That yesteryears tackle works? We know it does! Now we have tackle that works better. Thats the key point! You allude to us jiggers being "wimps" because we want such light rods. How can a rod be too light? Thats like saying my bank account has too much money! Your claims are pathetic and stand no ground against the exceptional jigging and popping tackle those from the far east have brought to our great sport.

Quote Originally Posted by deep defiance View Post
    Nor would I a brunette!

I have been watching this thread and a few other threads as well on the 360 and can honestly say that there is no place for me in threads like this! and I will continue to enjoy the show!
    HAHA I thought you woulda been all over this one Mike!!! Your right though, there has been a bunch of non-sense threads around recently on this site and others.... I guess the tuna arent coming quickly enough for some..

Brian

Smile Swaby.

Don't these peeps know that the stripes,tog and tile's are biting?

Quote Originally Posted by swab1985 View Post
    HAHA I thought you woulda been all over this one Mike!!! Your right though, there has been a bunch of non-sense threads around recently on this site and others.... I guess the tuna arent coming quickly enough for some..

Brian
    capt.Mike Spinelli/FAST FORWARD/32 SCARAB

I'm not sure where this and the other threads are going.

Sure jigging tuna has been around for a long time. I remember getting into Jigging with a simple 8 oz diamond jig, 7 foot calstar and Penn 15KG and that was the "Hot" setup. It caught fish lots of fish. Took the pool on the Golden Eagle with a #106 Yellowfin on that setup, it paid for itself and as soon as the Avet and Shimano reels starting to hit the market the Penn 15KG was quickly replaced with a smaller and more compact Avet.

As I got more into it and realized the limitations of the Avet (binds at higher drag) I saw the value in buying an Accurate 665 2 speed and sold off the Avets. Now in 2010 I'm seeing the limitations of the accurates and buying Shimano Stellas and Jigging Master for conv.

Rods - just like golf clubs - the lighter the better. More than likely your steel shafts have been replaced with graphite. Only natural to upgrade the rods to new and lighter materials.

It only makes sense that you can fish longer and in more comfort with a lighter rod. My new jigging rod is 12 oz and I am going to take #200 tuna with it hopefully Monday can I take tuna with a 3 lbs rod sure can - but why would I want to, any more than dusting off the steel shaft clubs.... Lighter = less stress on angler = more fun IMO.

In Panama next week its going to be 96 degrees and 96 % humidity - I would like to see ANY of you guys come down to Panama and jig for more than 30 minutes with one of those "CLASSICS" your arms will be falling off and you'll be melting in the sun. The $300 bucks I spent on my new 12 ounce jigging rod that I will use for about 30 hrs next week alone is well worth the price of pool and in fact $300 is dirt cheap for a quality rod in lieu of that weight - as you know its very easy to spend $800 or even $1000 OR more for a Japanese Jigging Rod but that's not for me - maybe when I am selling a million Hammered Diamond Jigs a year !

There are very reasonable light weight rods out there with plenty of backbone that will get the job done at anyone's budget.

I think all the custom builders should be offering these blanks to their customers and let the customer decide what action/weight/price is best for them. There is and always will be a market for trolling rods, but choosing to or refusing to carry Light Weight Jigging Blanks, is akin to a car dealer saying those new hybrid cars are no good while the dealer up the block is selling 20 a month...and the customers are happy getting 40 miles to the gallon.

Make the customer happy.

The other builders are busy as heck cranking out customs on the new super light blanks, if you are not at least offering the choice, you are missing the boat and only hurting yourself and your customers.

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,
    Costa Rica, Panama, and South Africa!

Please visit our website or send a P/M for a dealer near you

shop.cmtackle.com

www.facebook.com/shop.cmtackle

Dan Harley

Customer Service / Issues / Questions / Problems
    Shop: 856-866-1800

[email protected]

Sea Bear, this will be my last comment to you. The fact is you dont fit in, that is here, on a boat, and you go to school? You are a good example of the person who pushes this crap and distortions.
    Allow me to explain; You are not a professional fisherman, you claim you are but you are a destination fisherman. That is you go to a destination [North Carolina/Cape Cod somewhere] where the fish are jumping in the boat. Read the various of posts. Almost every day is a slaughter, you get 10-20 shots at fish, and anyone trying to push a rod, reel, jig, you name it will succeed, and if they fish tomorow they will catch again, and then they take a picture of themselves 'hugging' a fish, and virtually anyone can come back after these trips and claim to be the Big Cheese. Here is where the distortions come in. We are not being "globaly left in the dust" by anyone. The Americans will outdo any one anywhere and that has been proven throughout history. If any one here or anywhere wants to tell me that the Japanes or Koreans are better fishermen, rod builders, I say in plain english, BULL. The Japanese and the Koreans have advanced in this world for one reason, the American Taxpayers gave it to them, I repeat gave it to them, they ride on our backs and will never be able to do anything with out our help. You should as I say go back and consider apologizing to the men and women out there known as party boat deckhands, I have said in the past, and I'll say again I believe them to be among the worlds greatest fishermen/women. If any one wants to come after me on this now or anytime feel free to do so. When I hear a guy from another country come here, attempt to claim that we are outdated, if its geared towards me, i'll respond then, respectfully. If you would like to hop on board with a group of people that want to believe that you are the new group of cool fishermen, with panties as you say, for the sole intentions of being in the crowd, fine, but as for now, Bill Doherty, your opinion with me a least no longer counts.
    Back to Rods. [My last comment "I met guys with rods $5,000; I meant $500 rods.]
    NJ Angler lady; I think the original idea of the Poster was "whats the big deal with jigging, it's been around for a long time".
    I agree that if a guy has the bucks and he wants to try a $500 rod, fine. It will one day be debated what is it that makes it worth $500. You ask a good question, "why wouldnt you want to use lighter tackle?"
    I intend to debate this down the road, but we will for now deal with a SIMPLE fact. I have heardin this thread "rods that weigh 12 oz., rods that weigh 3 lbs" As for jigging, thats a no brainer, 12 oz is the choice, if however anyone here believes that if the rod weighs 14,16,18 oz. its not 'efficient, bull. I would like to know those that feel even 1 oz makes a difference. You will soon see what a farce this very arguement is.
    The true values of these rods will soon come out. You see a jewelry add one week before Chrismas, "Sale 70% off" "lets see, Thats a bargain"
    if they are giving you something for $300 that retails for $1,000, and it's made in ,., China,.,. Korea,.,Mexico,.,. Taiwan,? well you get the idea, or as I have heard on a few websites, "The Asians make better rods than even US custom rods" Realy? we'll see.
    Dante, If he wants to say I'm living in yesteryear, fine. But in one day alone he bad mouths many people, and in the same breath aligns himself with a man known as KIl, a person who sells fishing tackle. I'm glad he is not on my side.
    Jimimack,good points, Stripers? There are many rod and reel wire line combo's out there that are just scary to fish with, but they produce, wire guys love them. If you want to jig, have a blast, I love it though when after catching something, some of them are quick to tell you how little you know.
    Defiance, swab, chip in if you would like, I'm sure you have opinions.
    Dan, always good to hear from you. Cant argue with your experience, nor what you have to say here. You make a good comment for the readers here. "there are very reasonable rods, light weight, get the job done
    I can however answer the question you have posed,
    I just hit submit, Dan I'll reanswer you post , soon,
    Last edited by Fish Poison; 04-11-2010 at 08:11 AM.

AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in