Thread: jigging jigging jigging popping popping poppoing

My favorite jigging rod!

The Barbie acid wrapped jigger!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

My back up rod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KSONG View Post
    ............The thing you don't realize is the guys who sell $1,000 rods have very little margin and they bring those rods to accomodate other fishermen who want to get them.

Most Japanese high-end rod gives about 30 percent gross margin. You have to pay shipping charge, duty and other tax. If you have 10 - 15 percent margin, you are very lucky.........
    From a business standpoint (not an angling standpoint), is that really a good business practice?

An angler who wants a state of the art $1000 rod that needs to be imported from overseas should be paying through the nose for such an item.

Selling such an item for a minimum markup just doesn't seem like a good way to make money.
    To my bitches - - - PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP!! --- Get used to it.

Proud to be an original member of the "Band of Useless Idiots"

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyZac View Post
    From a business standpoint (not an angling standpoint), is that really a good business practice?

An angler who wants a state of the art $1000 rod that needs to be imported from overseas should be paying through the nose for such an item.

Selling such an item for a minimum markup just doesn't seem like a good way to make money.
    If anyone starts jigging and popping specialty shop to make money by importing high-end Japanese products, you'll realize soon that you are in wrong business.
    Unless you love the sport of jigging and popping, you'd better to choose other business.

Why I do this ? This is my retirement plan. I love jigging and popping and I love to seach for quality products, test them and introduce them to other fishermen. I don't need tons of money as my childeren got married. Isn't it great for retirement plan as you do what you like. The best thing is my wife can not complain even I go fishing a lot as fishing trip itself is my business.

----------------------------

www.jignpop.com

.........Why I do this ? This is my retirement plan. I love jigging and popping and I love to seach for quality products, test them and introduce them to other fishermen.........
    Sounds like a winner to me.

Default kil

Great post about your retirement plan. Not every one can say this and what I am doing is also my retirement plan. What I do not understand is how in the world can you still fight those brute tuna as you approach retirement age like you do. I know most of my friends that are a little older kind of sit back and watch the young bucks do thier thing when the tuna start pushing over 150 lbs. More power to you for being able to do this as you must be 40 now just like my wife tells everyone she is.

If anyone starts jigging and popping specialty shop to make money by importing high-end Japanese products, you'll realize soon that you are in wrong business.
    Unless you love the sport of jigging and popping, you'd better to choose other business.

Why I do this ? This is my retirement plan. I love jigging and popping and I love to seach for quality products, test them and introduce them to other fishermen. I don't need tons of money as my childeren got married. Isn't it great for retirement plan as you do what you like. The best thing is my wife can not complain even I go fishing a lot as fishing trip itself is my business.

www.jignpop.com
    Kil, this has been my retirement plan for the past thirty years. There isnt a day that goes by that I do any 'honest' work. I build a lot of rods, but I can assure you it's not a real job.

Fish Poison Custom Rods - By Kevin Bogan.
    212 Broadway Point Pleasant Beach N.J. 08742
    732 892 8822 [email protected]
    AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    ~ Killin' Fish for a long, long time ~
    Fishing Rods = Made in America
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Poison View Post
    Kil, this has been my retirement plan for the past thirty years. There isnt a day that goes by that I do any 'honest' work. I build a lot of rods, but I can assure you it's not a real job.
    How many careers have as a prereq "must be willing to be high the entire time you are at work"?

Quote Originally Posted by dante2513 View Post
    There should be no arguing between kevin and kil, kil sells great blanks and rods, and kevin wraps rods. Kevin heres and idea if you want to keep up with the market buy blanks from kil and wrap them, then you are both happy. There is no reason to try to fight what people want, kils got a great product in the black hoel rod he also has jm rods which are sick, so you guys should work out a deal then your both happy.
    Dante
    I agree with Dante 100%. Kevin I have rods in my basement (not a bad thing all my rods are in the basement) that you built me when I was 18, I'm 42 now. Everyone one of those rods, save the grips getting a little stale, is in 100% tuna fighting shape. I know and others know that you know how to build a great rod. I know from talking to you have special epoxies developed and fine tuned over the years they do not yellow and honestly those rods look good for being more than 20 years old.

Give the people what they want, custom rods on strong, light, powerful blanks. I'll be one of your first buyers - make me a custom 450 Black Hole Acid Jigger with the famous Bogan quality and wraps to match my other rods.

BTW yes its been easy to get the bite in NC (maybe I'll give you that) but once the tuna is hooked its very very tough to bring in a #200 tuna on a spinner, any spinner any rod. It takes a great deal of experience and even a bit of luck. I've taken hundreds of tuna and yesterday was not my day, I did not bring a tuna to the boat on a spinner despite 7 hookups. Glen, John Flores, Glenn and the gang make it look easy like a pro baseball player makes throwing a 100 mph fast ball 'look easy' I assure you its not.

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,
    Costa Rica, Panama, and South Africa!

Please visit our website or send a P/M for a dealer near you

shop.cmtackle.com

www.facebook.com/shop.cmtackle

Dan Harley

Customer Service / Issues / Questions / Problems
    Shop: 856-866-1800

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ksong View Post
    the best thing is my wife can not complain even i go fishing a lot as fishing trip itself is my business.

www.jignpop.com

exactly!!!! The costs are high but the benefit plan 'including fishing' is worth it !

Kil is right the profit margin on the high end Japanese goods is very low, if you didn't love Jigging and Popping you would not bring them in for customers as the profit is so low, risk is high - its not a profitable thing I know but I know you bring them in to promote the sport and give the customers what they want. There is no margin on the ultra high end gears - the profit and where average dealers double their money is the low end level gear
    Last edited by Dashing Dan; 04-13-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Available at more than 50 Shops in the US and 10 shops overseas including Japan, New Zealand, Australia,

shop.cmtackle.com

Dan Harley

[email protected]

Capt John I have to agree with you we fight over "it's your fish, no, it's your fish. I don't want it." Aging is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Dan View Post
    Give the people what they want, custom rods on strong, light, powerful blanks. I'll be one of your first buyers - make me a custom 450 Black Hole Acid Jigger with the famous Bogan quality and wraps to match my other rods.
    Kevin, me and a couple of my buddies would also not hesitate to purchase a few custom Black Hole rods from you as well. Try out a blank, put it through the ringer, and let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonalingus View Post
    Kevin, me and a couple of my buddies would also not hesitate to purchase a few custom Black Hole rods from you as well. Try out a blank, put it through the ringer, and let us know what you think.
    I'm not familiar with their blank program.

Fish Poison Custom Rods - By Kevin Bogan.
    212 Broadway Point Pleasant Beach N.J. 08742
    732 892 8822 [email protected]
    AVET ~ SHIMANO ~ Penn
    ~ Killin' Fish for a long, long time ~
    Fishing Rods = Made in America
    "Dead Fish Don't Swim"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Poison View Post
    I'm not familiar with their blank program.
    not sure what you mean, but you can get blanks from Kil OR maybe he can provide you with a blank for you to give an honest, thorough opinion. If the blanks are good, in your opinion, you do your customers a service by providing additional options to the quality calstar blanks.

The blank program is something like you and Kil go to lunch and discuss over BBQ clams up the street or Dim Sum

I won't and can't speak for Kil and I know he's knee deep in accounting work till the 15th, but I'm sure he would provide you blanks and I don't know that he's had time to make any type of formal program but he has the blanks and has sent them to several builders already that seem very happy.

shop.cmtackle.com

Dan Harley

[email protected]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in