Places in Florida to move to? Places to avoid?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Places in Florida to move to? Places to avoid?

Default Places in Florida to move to? Places to avoid?

Looking on the east coast

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

1-Jensen beach
    2- stay away from the west side of route 1.

We just spent a couple days in Vero Beach area. We stayed at Disneys Vero beach resort, and I was surprised that the area of the resort was not more built up.
    The resort is located North of Vero in Wabasso Beach. Took a ride north the Sebastian Inlet to check it out, they were catching Rays, and jack Crevalles off the jetty/pier.
    The area north of Wabasso is also not built up.

I am not an east coast guy but enjoyed the resort and liked that particular area due to it not being developed yet. heading south from Wabasso to Vero, the island is mostly undeveloped or residential, its not until you get to Merril P Barber bridge di it become more developed.

We ate at the Riverside Cafe, nice location, decent food. Great onion rings!
    NotAtWork likes this.
    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974 Penn Yan Avenger 23'
    Mercruiser 350 tunnel drive - Sold

1980 Penn Yan 30' Sportfish
    Twin GM 350 tunnel drives

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

My dad lives in the wabbasso area . He has been there about 20 years now . Over the last few years fishing has declined because of the Red Tide phenomena. Nice place to visit , but surprisingly the fishing really has went down hill .

My inlaws moved to Port Saint Lucie back in 2004 at the beginning of the housing boom. They built down there as fast as they could, the town gobbled up property and built new roads and the taxes soared. The area really took a dump during the housing collapse in 2008 but values are coming back now with a stable economy and interest rates. They moved to ocala a few years ago. A guy I know from upper township recently bought a condo in Stewart. His son has been living there for years and he rented a place for a few months over the winter for the last several years and decided to buy. He hopes to move there full time.
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

Stay away from I-95... Don't buy a house or anything in a neighborhood near the Interstate. The vagrants that move up & down the State come off the Interstate and will break into your house & car looking for fast money. Don't have a Shop or Business near the Interstate either. Most every Development is Gated for a Reason!

And I'd avoid the center of the state... There's usually a great breeze along either Coast but there is no wind or breeze in the middle... just lot's of HUMIDITY.

I worked on Yachts from Daytona to Sarasota all the way down to the Key's... Most of the Sports Fishing & Commercial guy's I know swear the Fish moved North of Stewart and that it's getting tougher catching fish below Palm Beach Gardens.

Funny Note - I used to go snorkeling off the Beach every weekend in Gulf Stream Park, FL., it's named that because its where the Gulf Stream comes closest to the land in the United States about 300 - 400 feet from the Beach. It was like swimming in an Aquarium... there was some of everything swimming there... Off the Hook Amazing! So,

One time I was working on my friends Commercial Long Liner Boat ( 3 1/2 Mile Line I think he said) and I asked what he fished for... He said Sharks... I asked, Wow really... How many miles out do you have to go to get them? He said... Miles... None! ... we get them a couple hundred yards off the Beach! WAIT, WHAT! Holy Crap! That made me think twice every time I went in the water ever since then
    Last edited by ARMED4BEAR; 03-27-2019 at 12:18 AM.
    liberals tell us to go along... I DON'T GO ALONG!

I
    ncoming Gunfire always has the Right-of-Way!

Amexit the UN, WHO, IMF, deep-state & Globalism!
    Truth to a liberal is like Salt to a Slug

...Melt a Snowflake

The kids in my wifes family always said that Fort Pierce was the ghetto. I went there to meet them for dinner back in January and the down town area was all fixed up and pretty. We ate in a restaurant right on the water at the city marina. There were lots of seniors walking around the downtown area. As with most places, a few blocks in from the rejuvinated area is pretty rough looking. I also recall going to a baseball game when my brother in law was younger down in Sturat and there were some projects just south of the ball fields and there were a few houdlums with their pants falling off wandering around....we also drive thru a few blocks of neighborhoods that I would not have wanted to stop in if you get my drift...and these were not far from the Rt 1 bridge over the river..
    shbackbay likes this.
    Chris Miller
    1974 Mako 17 "Tiderunner"
    Mystic Islands, NJ (since 1970) &
    Tioga County, PA

In general, Vero Beach to Juno, stay north of PGA Blvd, east of Rt 1 or A1A depending on where your at. Lots of great places to live, weather is decent in the winter and if near the coast you get a breeze most of the time. North of Vero gets chilly in the winter, south of PGA is to crowded in my opinion. Also something to think about, the taxes are less in Martin County then Palm Beach County. My two cents....
    Last edited by Express; 04-01-2019 at 09:06 AM.

We have a home on Hutchinson Island ( Jensen Beach-Martin County) and it is great overall. We absolutely love it down here but traffic is pretty bad during the winter months especially during the day. Jensen Beach is a cute little city and it is right over the bridge from where we live plus Stuart is right down the road from us. I would not live south of Jupiter as the traffic reminds me of the LA area. The further you go north towards Vero Beach the traffic thins out but from what i have seen it is not as nice as where we live but probably less expensive. As mentioned it becomes a little less tropical during the winter months once you get north of Vero Beach. We were going to buy in the lower Keys as we love it down there but decided on the Jensen Beach area do to the availability of first class medical facilities and shopping for my mother and wife. This area has everything within minutes of our house but if it was just me I would pick the Keys due to the fishing and laid back lifestyle. Not sure that I would want to live down here full time with the summer heat and humidity. We spend 8 months a year down in Florida and became Florida residents with the no income tax laws down here.
    Express likes this.

Hey Captain’s, agree with your comments. The wife and I are back to the Keys for a few days at the end of the month before we, reluctantly make our way back to NJ. We were there a couple of weeks and took the lady fishing, she killed the yellow tails. We love it here in Jupiter. Stopped by the Polarizer last Friday, first time at that show.... it’s huge, wore my arz out walking all day and didn’t see the whole show. Have a definite reduction in population as of Monday, lot of folks leave the end of March. �� We boat up your way often to the pocket for lunch. I’ve been wondering if the Marriott has slips or dockage for people who want to stop by for lunch. Any idea? Thanks and enjoy the rest of your stay!

Express: Not sure if the Marriott has has dockage for lunch. Drive by the resort all the time but mostly see golfers. There sure are some beautiful homes right on the water adjoining the Marriott although.

Supporting Vendor

East Coast - Stuart

West Coast - Ft Myers

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Steelfin Die-Cut Decals & Apparel

2008 May-Craft 2300CCX
    Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI SOLD!

Marvelous Margate NJ

I heard that the east coast of florida are transplants from NY and the East side of the country. The west coast of Fl is people from the midwest.
    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1974 Penn Yan Avenger 23'
    Mercruiser 350 tunnel drive - Sold

1980 Penn Yan 30' Sportfish
    Twin GM 350 tunnel drives

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jhudds View Post
    I heard that the east coast of florida are transplants from NY and the East side of the country. The west coast of Fl is people from the midwest.
    perhaps...except for Naples

------------

Rob

Was just visiting friends in Hobe Sound. It's a nice area but like everywhere between 95 and ft 1 you drive through the ghetto to get there. I'm looking to buy in Marathon soon and sell in Bucks County but keep the place in Mystic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in