• 1 Post By Joe R.
  • 1 Post By Captain's John & Diana

Thread: Tuna

Default Tuna

What is the closest to shore anyone has seen tuna

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Saw big blue fin crashing through bunker yesterday coming completely out of the water on a inshore reef

Quote Originally Posted by fzmiller View Post
    Saw big blue fin crashing through bunker yesterday coming completely out of the water on a inshore reef
    How far were you out? I've seen them a few times within 3 miles when riding the Ocean county party boats for Stripers in Nov/Dec. On a PB that hooked and landed one once ~ 150lbs on Bass tackle.
    Hardtop likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

3 miles barnegat reef saw two different times once on the reef and then ran south to garden state north and saw more breaking water on the way there

Caught a 33 lb YFT at the OC Reef a few years ago while I was livening a spot hoping for a cobia.
    Smith's Marina
    Somers Point, NJ

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing rods for what I told her they cost.

Default yes...but hit or miss

I been a inshore trolling fan for MANY years...they are seen inshore but are usualy on the move ,,,Over the years I have caught quite a few inside 15/20 miles,,,Some were many years ago...I have photos & logs of all my catches over 38 years of records, So here are some trips and catches
    (long read ) looking back in my records , some MANY years ago...1982 Sea Isle Ridge , wife and I dating at the time , there were squid all over the ridge for days Squid boats were working the area..we hooked into a good size fish trolling , both of us took turns on a Diawa Sealine outfit and landed ,,you would never guess but a 44lb Longfin...Yea have the photo right here..Longfin inside 40mi rare,,,Moving along to the mid 80s I moved from Sea Isle up to Absecon...and fished the inshore lumps..there was a great bite of Bluefin from just off the GE reef to the AC ridge for almost a week..It was odd seeing big sportfishers trolling around that far inshore,,,if you were not there at day break you missed it, all the boats pushed the fish down offshore..we would go out late in the day when most guys were eating dinner at home and had some great days trolling till sunset fish were mixed from 10-30lbs...Also early 90s I landed get this ..a 32 lb Yellowfin between the AC ridge and the Lobster hole thats less than 15mi offshore for a Yellowfin...then 2004 another Bluefin bite inshore for a week or so ,,My son and I got 2 trips in and landed 3 smaller Bluefin no weight in my book but 30 to 35in fish notes released one...I have also lost many big fish over the years that still keep me guessing what they were,,,these catches may be nothing to big boat canyon guys but its what keeps us small boat fishermen going, Now I am looking at myself in some of these photos ,,,%$#@@##$ am I getting old ...LOL

Joe R
    21 SeaCraft
    Susie 2
    TimC2520 likes this.

Occasionally see tuna on the dock at the marina. LOL! You need clean water and bait to see tuna close to shore. Happens more in the fall.

Many tuna both Bluefins in 35-50 lb class and occasionally Yellowfins around East Lump. Many years ago I moved my boat down to Ocean City, MD in July and slammed the bigger 60-90 lb class Bluefins on the Jackspot which I believe is 12 miles off OCMD. No circle hooks or fluorocarbon leader and used 60-80 lb mono leader and caught lots of inshore tuna 30 years ago. I was fishing out of a 26 foot boat back then. I also fished out of a 22 foot boat back in early 70's off Point Judith, RI and saw a few 1000 lb Bluefins brought back to the dock caught from the Butterfish Hole not that far off the inlet. I tried for a GBT back then but never caught one. No market for the giants then and they were either towed back out to sea and dumped the next day after bringing them to the scales or cat food. The Point Judith co-op paid $.50 per pound for whole stripers but did not want any Bluefins back then.
    Last edited by Captain's John & Diana; 07-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    Captainbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajoe View Post
    You need clean water and bait to see tuna close to shore. Happens more in the fall.
    The water was very clear last Friday and bunker as far as u could see around LER. I did try a Clark spoon on a 4oz drail and an A47 . Was hoping for anything since the flounder were not biting. I didnít give it much time tho and stoped on a nearby wreck for seabass...lol

We were only 10 yards from them we only had fluke rods on the boat it would have been nice if we had something bigger to at least try to get one on nice to see though

Took the ladies out for some practice on boating and fishing skills last Saturday. Trolled around between LER and GSS. Clean water, miles and miles of bunker, and all the 1 - 2 pound bluefish you could want. Was hoping for a Bonita, Spanish Mac or something a little more exotic than bluefish but no such luck. All in all, a beautiful day on the water and the girls got a little more experience handling lines, dehooking, bleeding, setting lines, etc.

deeper water. i've been finding bonita and spanish in 80-90'

We were out to some lumps 12 miles off of CM earlier this week and you could see the bottom 35-40ft pretty clearly.

About 20 years ago I was Striper fishing between Stone Harbor and Wildwood, and as the sun went down I ran over to Wildwood for some beer. This guy pulls into the liquor store and is mouthing off about a 200 lb bluefin tuna he landed in Hereford Inlet surf casting......I thought he was full of it, until I went out into the parking lot and saw the damn thing in the back of his pickup truck. And, all he had in the pickup truck were surf rods......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in