+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By West Ave Mike
  • 1 Post By Nevermoor
  • 3 Post By West Ave Mike
  • 1 Post By zthedude

Thread: Bonito

Default Bonito

Ran out to OC reef yesterday for Flounder, but as soon as we got there we started seeing small Bonito on the surface. After a few fruitless Flounder drifts, we switched to chasing the Bonito having never caught one on my boat. Didn’t take long for my nephew to get his first on a crippled herring but then they stopped surfacing so we went to trolling Clark spoons and put some more in the boat. Fun to catch something different, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonito Bandito.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	435547had some for dinner tonight and it was delicious with a unique texture and mild flavor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D86BB3C7-04CF-4CF7-8328-168AC25947CE.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	435545  
    Last edited by West Ave Mike; 07-29-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    rob and pisces like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Nice, we saw some on the way back from little egg reef but didnít hook up.

I picked up 3 the other day on small squid daisy chains in that same area. My bonito always go in the smoker.
    pisces likes this.
    Smith's Marina
    Somers Point, NJ

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing rods for what I told her they cost.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermoor View Post
    I picked up 3 the other day on small squid daisy chains in that same area. My bonito always go in the smoker.
    Tried some raw with just a little lemon juice, salt and pepper - melts in your mouth.
    Nevermoor, pisces and Hardtop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by West Ave Mike View Post
    Ran out to OC reef yesterday for Flounder, but as soon as we got there we started seeing small Bonito on the surface. After a few fruitless Flounder drifts, we switched to chasing the Bonito having never caught one on my boat. Didn’t take long for my nephew to get his first on a crippled herring but then they stopped surfacing so we went to trolling Clark spoons and put some more in the boat. Fun to catch something different, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonito Bandito.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	435547had some for dinner tonight and it was delicious with a unique texture and mild flavor.
    I caught my first one too on Friday on my way back from OC reef. The water was so clear that I could see them chasing the Hopkins. I also had what appeared to be a Spanish mackerel chase the lure back to the boat. That was my first time seeing those fish only 3 miles off OC.

Nice report. I got my 1st false albacore Tuesday was hoping for a few bonito but it wasn’t in the cards. Well done 👍
    West Ave Mike likes this.
    23` Parker Pilot House

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in