7/26 - 7/27 Report: My Best Fluking in the Past 5 Years
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 7/26 - 7/27 Report: My Best Fluking in the Past 5 Years

Default 7/26 - 7/27 Report: My Best Fluking in the Past 5 Years

I am quite a happy guy as I write this report on a beautiful Monday morning.

I took off on Fri to make use of the made-to-order weather and fished both Fri and Sat at my new favorite spot within 10 mi from Cape May. Had 2 other boats around me on Friday, fishing from 12:45 PM - 6:30 PM, and had a handful of boats around early Saturday, but nobody for the last two hours fishing from 2 PM - 8 PM.

Friday, I was solo. Ocean was glass. Water temps were in the high seventies to eighty. I deadsticked one rod with a top and bottom rig - 3" Nuclear Chicken on the teaser, 5" pink Mullet on the bottom. 3oz weight. I wanted to try out an M3 Fluke Spoon after seeing a whole lot of info on them, so I was jigging their 5.5" glow with a Gulp pink Mullet and a 4oz snagless sinker.

Caught 4 fluke on the deadstick, including one keeper at 19.5", 2.42 lbs. Also had a decent number of hits that I wasn't able to pick up the rod in time to get.
    Caught 32 fluke on the M3 spoon, including one keeper at 19.75", 2.66 lbs.

It was an awesome day with fish constantly coming over the rail. I also saw a nice cobia which I estimate to be around 3.5' swimming just below the surface by the boat, but he didn't hang out like the one I had two weeks back.

Saturday, I had a buddy with me who hadn't really fished in the last 3 years but used to do 3-4 headboat trips per season. Helped him get the rust off, and we went back to the same spot. Ocean was getting a little choppy as the day went on, felt like 2 footers with some wind-driven chop as well from about 6 PM-on. Ocean temps were a little lower than they had been Fri. The drift was pretty quick, and we were having trouble holding with 6 and 8 oz on, but once we deployed a drift sock, it was like flipping a switch, and the hook-ups started.

Caught 37 fluke and an Atlantic Sharpnose Shark. 3 keepers: 19.5", 1.92 lbs, 19.75", 2.72 lbs, 21" 2.86 lbs. Shark was about 3.5'.

Once again, the M3 spoon out-fished the top and bottom rig by a 2:1 ratio. We switched setups halfway through the day, and the result held the same, the M3 outproduced.

This was the best fishing I've experienced in my 5-years of owning a boat and running our of the Cape May / Wildwood area.

Hoping to get back into the action next weekend!
    “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll have him buying gear for a lifetime."

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the report, may have to try an M3.
    ARMED4BEAR likes this.

Nice report....I've been looking at the M3 spoons but don't like the idea of putting down a $14-20 lure that gets claimed by the structure gods.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Duck View Post
    Nice report....I've been looking at the M3 spoons but don't like the idea of putting down a $14-20 lure that gets claimed by the structure gods.
    I picked up a few of their 'snagless' sinkers as well to try to combat this. It is like a bank sinker but has a foot-long metal rod coming out of the bottom with the intention of stopping it from getting hung up in any structure. My other thought is to also try just using a rubber band to secure the sinker to the bottom snap swivel. As I understand it, 95% of the time, it is your weight which gets caught in the structure, not your hooks. By having the rubber band, if your weight gets snagged, enough pressure will simply break the rubber band, and you can then retrieve your rig. Certainly not fool-proof, and there's always a risk of losing the rig, but either of those may help to mitigate that risk somewhat.
    “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll have him buying gear for a lifetime."

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

Great report- where are you docked in WWW? I dock there too. I’m next to the old spray dock in a private slip.
    Last edited by jman47; 07-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jman47 View Post
    Great report- where are you docked in WWW? I dock there too. I’m next to the old spray dock in a private slip.
    Nice. I'm in K&D on the Spray Dock side. I'm in the last end slip on the W side (directly behind the Spray Dock garage)

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

Great that you got a lot of action and fish but the keeper to throw back ratio shows how F'ed up the current regs are

I'm not familiar with the M-3. Who makes it and where can you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by OC John View Post
    I'm not familiar with the M-3. Who makes it and where can you buy it?
    There are some tackle shops that carry them, but I get their stuff directly from their website (m3tackle.com)

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

Nice report. As for the M3 spoons, I was watching a halibut fishing show and they use pretty big spoons for them which instantly made me google "fluke spoons" and that's how I stumbled upon M3. I purchased some 5.5" spoons and some 3" spoons.. I was skeptical on how big the whole rig is with the 5.5" spoon but I know fluke don't care what they are going after LOL, so that's why I picked up some of the 3" spoons. I will try with both sizes out on the water when I manage to wet a line. I like their jigs and the fluke balls but I'll wait on them for the time being also their bunker spoons patterns look pretty realistic to bunker, mackereland flounder. Haven't been able to try these spoons out but I plan on it next week while on vacation but I will be hitting the mid Delaware Bay. It's good to read that someone local has had some success with this this product.
    Last edited by thediehardfisherman; 07-31-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Don't CHASE Reports-MAKE THEM!!!!!

The game-changing trick for me with them was how you rig your bait.

I was using Gulp, and originally, I was trying 6" grubs. I was having a ton of action, but I couldn't get a hookset to save my life. Rather than get frustrated (which is what I would normally do), I figured 'since I'm trying a new tactic, let me try a couple different things and see what, if anything works best.' I switched over to the 4" mullet in pink. Now, normally, you rig a gulp through the tip and pull the hook through so that it presents out of 'the belly' for lack of a better way to put it, right? This rig has a stinger hook built into it, so I figured, let me try hooking the gulp with the main hook directly through the head just like I would hook a strip-bait, and then let me place the stinger through the point at which the tail meets the body.

The result: clean hookup after clean hookup. Out of 74 fluke caught, all but two were hooked on that stinger, perfectly in the corner of the mouth. The only two that weren't were keepers one of which inhaled the whole thing and got gut hooked and the other of which managed to hook itself on the main hook and folded the stinger over (must have hit with enough force to ball the two of them together and then bit down on the primary).

Worked great!

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by sully127 View Post
    The game-changing trick for me with them was how you rig your bait.

I was using Gulp, and originally, I was trying 6" grubs. I was having a ton of action, but I couldn't get a hookset to save my life. Rather than get frustrated (which is what I would normally do), I figured 'since I'm trying a new tactic, let me try a couple different things and see what, if anything works best.' I switched over to the 4" mullet in pink. Now, normally, you rig a gulp through the tip and pull the hook through so that it presents out of 'the belly' for lack of a better way to put it, right? This rig has a stinger hook built into it, so I figured, let me try hooking the gulp with the main hook directly through the head just like I would hook a strip-bait, and then let me place the stinger through the point at which the tail meets the body.

The result: clean hookup after clean hookup. Out of 74 fluke caught, all but two were hooked on that stinger, perfectly in the corner of the mouth. The only two that weren't were keepers one of which inhaled the whole thing and got gut hooked and the other of which managed to hook itself on the main hook and folded the stinger over (must have hit with enough force to ball the two of them together and then bit down on the primary).

Worked great!
    Good read and thanks for the info. Definitely makes sense to utilize that secondary hook ( while most flounder bite behind the head of minnows and the tails off of the gulp) that second trailer hook will be very effective.
    Don't CHASE Reports-MAKE THEM!!!!!

Thanks for this report. It's an eye opener. Could you tell me the size and color of the spoons which got the got the best results?

Glad to here the action you had, hope Delaware side picks up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in