100%er over weekend
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100%er over weekend

Default 100%er over weekend

Was out fishing on slow Sat on one of the reefs and as we were finishing up a drift in a nondangerous area I mentioned to my Bow buddy(wife of stern angler) that I was deadsticking my rod as I retrieved the drift sock the hard way(without the rear retrieval pull rope). O course my brother and the other stern angler were rolling their eyes and thinking how FOS i was . Sure enough and if on que once sock was retrieved in a throwback fluke jumped on and was landed. Of course then they were riding me good about it an do it again but I said only once a day it might happen and I didn't want to hurt my average.

Sure enough Sun come around and it was slow fishing but a fast drift so after some prodding I did it again and sure enough a fluke jumped on -this time a 22" my only keeper of the day amidst the shorts I caught. Couldn't have planned for something like this to happen. I retired the technique after that for the day as I wanted to keep the average up.

Now everybody I fish with know i liked to deadstick and bought the noodle rods like ugly sticks to use and set up 4 along the side prior to the reeffishing jigging bucktails like we do now in the sticky areas we usually fish so the sea anchor trick isn't used as much as the deadsticking or Rodney fishing save maybe when fishing the OG.

Anyway the driver of the boat a little later does a slight reposition with drift sock deployed slowing us down for a second and a short jumped on his rod.

So may want to leave a baited rod in when retrieving the drift sock the hard way once in a while cause you never know on those fast drift days, kinda like getting lines in while boat has some forward momentum on slow drift days.

Anyone else do this?
    I Fish Therefore I Am!

Ancient Mariner since 7/11/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about that, but when I fish with my son-in-law behind Avalon, I get action whenever he starts to re-position the boat. It just seems like the change in movement, speed, or direction gets their interest.

Some nice fish have come over the rail that way.
    Proud member of the Ancient Mariners.
    Money won't buy happiness,
    But it'll get your a$$ on a boat, and that's a start.

Come on Tom!!!! Put the motor in reverse in crush the sh*t out of them

Steve
    1989 Mako 250 with twin yamaha 150 hpdi
    1971 Mako 17 with mercury 125 (sold but missing her already)
    Docked in Cape May Marina

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

We get a good % of our fish when we bump the motor in reverse. Once we have to start paying out line to get back to bottom we bump the motor and hook up a lot. I thought it was a coincidence but it happens so much that there’s gotta be an explanation for it. My thought is the that bucktail and bait are going in a forward upward motion when you start drifting a bit too fast and once you bump it in reverse the bucktail slacks and falls limp right into the strike zone. It also keeps on the structure. These are my non scientific opinions but we have had a lot of success the last few seasons.

I’m not an advocate of leaving the motor on all day but when the situation arises we use that technique. I’m assuming the same would apply when pulling in a drift sock, although I personally hate using them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in