lots of life at Ridge.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Joey O
  • 1 Post By wired98

Thread: lots of life at Ridge.

Default lots of life at Ridge.

Finally a mellow trip on Saturday (8/3) without having to run 100 plus miles. Had lines in at 630am, wham nice Spanish mackerel. 7am long rigger goes off (green small bird chain with a green machine stinger) know right away we brought a knife to a gun fight,,,,who cares I'm on the rod and loving it. 45 long minutes later nice 70lb bluefin is boat side, leader in hand waiting for gaff shot, no gaff shot (said didn't have a good angle) and she rips off another 75-100 hard earn yards. second shot coming 10 minutes later leader in hand and SEE YA! boat in forward idle, she runs under hull and prop cuts top shot.

Total bummer, here we are running over 100 miles all spring/summer for tuna and we lost the fish we wanted 20 miles from home on light inshore gear. Anyway the rest of the day was pretty constant action boating kings, Spanish,bonito and dropping 2 smaller Mahi. Tons of life, huge schools on Bonito busting on top all day and Spanish and kings doing full on air blasts every where you looked. All close to home, hope it stays that way for a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

well everything must have been up that way LOL....I trolled off AC along the 12 /13 mile line , only one Bonito...

Joe R
    21 SeaCraft
    Susie 2

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    well everything must have been up that way LOL....I trolled off AC along the 12 /13 mile line , only one Bonito...

Joe R
    21 SeaCraft
    Susie 2
    Missed you out there Joe... took the little FmTuna out to the Mudwreck Sat then trolled the same line headed towards AC... nothing to show for it but found a half acre of Bonita 6 miles off on Friday

............ ain't what it used to be.......

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Steelfin Die-Cut Decals & Apparel

2008 May-Craft 2300CCX
    Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI SOLD!

Marvelous Margate NJ

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Lines in at 530am today (sat.8/10) , what a difference a week makes, today sucked! trolled in annoying close wind chop seas for 5 hours with nothing happening. Bite was pretty good all week from my local friends report,,,,shutdown hard today. That's fishing. Heading to the edge tomorrow am, hopefully with better results.

10 guys today headed out of Barnegat about 15 mi. hit 2 wrecks got our limit on Sea Bass 9 Ling and i even picked up 3 Tog on the jig that went back till they got bigger picked up and started to troll picked up Spanish Mackerel 10-12 and few False Albacore pulled the lines and headed in.
    jdps150 likes this.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

Went out to the ridge yesterday trolled 2 Clark spoons on 12 oz weights, 1 natural cedar plug on a flat line, a green machine back and a green feather chain on the 3rd wake, at 5 - 8 kts. We trolled around and over both lumps and had zero hits, heard of some fish caught but didn't see anyone hooked up at all. Saw plenty of bait marks on the bottom but no predators and no life on the surface. We decided to pull lines and head south to Lemkes since it was kinda on our way home, water was a little warmer and cleaner but still no life at all. I'm not having a lucky year, any one have any ideas to get the stink off???

Same deal for me.

Left CM at 5:30. Trolled the length of the ridge and trolled into Shutes and around there. Nothing. No marks, no bait, no birds, no signs of life anywhere. It seems like every time I go out trolling, I'm in a desert, but I always hear who amazing the spot was the day before. I just don't get it. It's a new kind of fishing for me, and I'm starting to get really frustrated because I take guys out, and I feel like we're doing everything right with setting up our spread and our speed and everything else, but it is like the ocean is empty any time I go out past the reefs. Getting tired of disappointing friends and family and burning fuel for nothing. It is really tough to get guys psyched up to commit to heading out before sunrise and troll an area for hours and see absolutely nothing. I know they all doubt me now, and I'm doubting myself - it always the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Last edited by sully127; 08-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll have him buying gear for a lifetime."

2004 Hydra Sports 230WA
    "calAmity"

i thought it was just me

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalsigns View Post
    Went out to the ridge yesterday trolled 2 Clark spoons on 12 oz weights, 1 natural cedar plug on a flat line, a green machine back and a green feather chain on the 3rd wake, at 5 - 8 kts. We trolled around and over both lumps and had zero hits, heard of some fish caught but didn't see anyone hooked up at all. Saw plenty of bait marks on the bottom but no predators and no life on the surface. We decided to pull lines and head south to Lemkes since it was kinda on our way home, water was a little warmer and cleaner but still no life at all. I'm not having a lucky year, any one have any ideas to get the stink off???
    Maybe lighten up a little bit on those drails for your spoons,,,,,3-4 ounce drail is plenty that application.

I probably would have gone lighter but the 12s were what I had to work with, I will definitely have a better variety on board next time, thanks for that.

I think small planers work better then drails, they get much deeper

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in