Cape May Reef and McCries 8-4-19
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cape May Reef and McCries 8-4-19

Thumbs down Cape May Reef and McCries 8-4-19

This is getting old. You should've been here yesterday or last week or in 1968! I'm having one of the worst seasons I've ever had in regards to keeper fish (back bays or out front) and the very worst season I've ever had at the Cape May reef since I bought my boat in 2014.

Started the morning on the southeast corner of the Cape May reef. An area I've always done well at and where I've boated my biggest flounder ever (8 pounds, 28"). We fished hard and barely had a nibble. I kept my drifts fairly short and made calculated shifts to cover ground without missing ground. Sometimes, it only takes a slight shift of 25-50 yards and you hit pay dirt. Nothing for a while until my buddy nailed a nice 21 inch flattie. OK! I think I'm onto something here. I repeat that drift and again keep the drifts short. THAT WAS THE ONLY FLOUNDER WE SAW ALL DARN DAY!

The number of late risers started to show up at the reef and only a short here and there came over anyone's rails so I moved inside to McCries. I stayed on the northwest side of the buoy in an area that produce 10 shorts the other day. I just wanted us to catch a few more fish. NOTHING, but one skate. I routinely stay away from the party boats because those guys are working and I can't stand when boats run up their butts, but the next time I'm out there, I'm following them because I read a report where a guy did well mirroring their drift.

The number and size of flounder are the worst I've ever seen them. I'll never claim to be the greatest fisherman, but I work hard, find the sticky stuff and usually have good days on the water, especially at the reef. This season is making me rethink owning a big boat.

Calm seas
    Calm winds
    Morning incoming tide
    Bucktail on the bottom loop
    Baitholder hook on a dropper loop
    Gulp-I used everything I had: orange, white, pink, poop, razmataz, rootie tootie fresh and fruity...you name it, I used it.

Anyone interested in a beautiful, meticulously kept 2011 25' Sea Fox w/a with twin 4 stroke Yamaha F150's, upgraded hardtop, rocket launchers, additional 4 rod rack in the stern, full curtains, Garmin gps/sounder with 2019 updated chip, stereo/cd/satellite radio, tons of storage, large fish boxes with saltwater feeds and macerators, livewell, running fresh water (50 gallons), toilet, sink, fridge, 150 fuel, heavy duty roller trailer with 4 new tires (2019) and all new brakes, LET ME KNOW.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Sucks. All the reports of poor fishing in areas that have been “go to’s” for the last several years. Certainly gives a cause for concern. Thanks for the report. Glad u are atleast getting some action in the back bays.

I did the opposite sunday-but left dock at 9 fished in fleet SW of bouy 3 shorts and at 11:30 or so went to FA bouy skates then to where u fished the CMR and had 2shorts there. left around 1:30 or so
    I Fish Therefore I Am!

Ancient Mariner since 7/11/10

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

All of us are taking the gas pipe and cannot foresee what will be the mitigating event or factor that will cause the Fluke to turn on. Last week I went 30+ miles out to deep wrecks and loaded up on Sea Bass and Ling. Christ, it was the last week of July and I am targeting Ling! May have to go into DBay and see about beating up some Kingfish, small Blues, perhaps a Fluke and Spike Weakfish. Really don't like catching the Spikes as we all need them to grow up and make DBay the Weakfish Capital of the World again. Will not be keeping the Spikes, but catching them and releasing them does stress these Pea Shooters. To me this is not a good practice.

I agree with everything everyone is saying. And of course, my buddy told me that his pal caught 7 keepers at the Cape May reef on Sunday. I will never put down or bad talk guys that catch fish. There are those guys that are just amazing fishermen. I have a buddy up the big bay who always does well, but he eats, sleeps and breathes hunting and fishing. He's just that guy that is just that good. I may have to make my next venture way up the bay to see if I can catch his scraps. Hahahahahahaa!!

I know guys were changing things up and targeting mahi mahi, kings, spanish and other species, but I love flounder fishing. It's honestly, my favorite fishing especially in the deeper waters. There is a reason why the numbers are down but God forbid anyone speak their minds; you get harassed and attacked.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in