Moons cycle effect on fishing. (full moon tomorrow night)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moons cycle effect on fishing. (full moon tomorrow night)

Default Moons cycle effect on fishing. (full moon tomorrow night)

I wonder if the cycle of the moon effects fishing. I've heard conflicting theories. On one hand a full moon will cause for harsher tides which might lend to better fishing. On the other hand full moon means it was bright all night so the fish have been feeding all evening. Wondering where you all stand on the topic?

On a side note, I'll be heading out tomorrow 6am our of GE inlet, will probably hit the pots S of the AC reef then maybe out to AC ridge, let me know if anyone is heading out tomorrow. I'll be on 68, Mat-Zak.
    Last edited by caplanz; 08-14-2019 at 04:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I had a very frustrating day 2 days ago. Mahi not touching a thing. I tried just about everything to get them going and nothing work. My first experience of possible moon effect. I heard about this form another local captain but this was a first for me. I came across 13-15 pots and several of them were holding dozens of 4-7lb mahi. All of which were laughing at me.
    I tried just about everything but a spear gun & shot gun. Now my boat had the spear gun just in case.
    Last edited by Philly Hooker; 08-14-2019 at 10:06 PM.

my experience is that is most times full or new moon fluking is usually poor but stripers & drum bite fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

In the 80's & early 90's when I was long lining we had a saying "moon bright, fish bite". True story, fishing for everything was MUCH better then,,,,but man, those trips with BIG moons always paid well (especially with swords). Plus its just a lot nicer out there at night with some light shining down from mother nature.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in