Chartplotter shopping at Edison boat show?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chartplotter shopping at Edison boat show?

Default Chartplotter shopping at Edison boat show?

Hello all...I am a newbie to the Barn, but an old salt on the beaches. I recently came into my first "good" boat last year...202 Hydrasport DC. I absolutely love it, however the fishfinder it came with is absolutely ridiculous to say the least. It is a humminbird 200DX but it might as well say Fisher Price on it. I have never needed one walking along our beaches but I am in the market for one now. I am going to the Edison boat show this weekend with a buddy, and I thought I would look at some of their electronics while there.
    Anybody think that it's a smart move to buy something there? Also, any recommendations as to what to get? I have read a couple of threads on here about the Garmin 478s or 172s. I believe they are discontinued now, buy I still see them pop up on e-bay now and then. Any input would be welcomed as I am pretty much in the dark on this subject. My budget is about $600. Thanks if you guys respond and thanks for reading this long winded post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

In my mind, and I think many others that I know/worked for, its always been:
    VHF=Icom
    GPS=Garmin
    Bottom Machine=Furuno, hands down. If you can afford it, or stretch yourself to get there, go color.

You'll get a million different answers, and Capt Steve will hop on here and tell you how geat RayMarine is (I think he's obligated to, at least from every other single post regarding electronics I've seen) but bottom line, you cant go wrong with a Furuno sounder.

Thanks Makorider...I have also heard great things about Furuno's sounding technology. I just don't know if I am ready for a top of the line sounder just yet. A friend of mine has a Raymarine 400SX or XS..not sure..and it works great, so that may be a consideration. Also, I am torn as to whether I really want the GPS capabilities since I really just want to be able to see fish. GPS would be great, but I don't want it to take away from the sounding capabilities if that's the case with the 2 in 1 machines. I am just fishing inshore waters for bass, weakies, etc. Don't get me wrong though...I would love to find a nice snag to pull up some sea bass or blackfish now and then, but it's not a high priority. Thanks for your advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

EDD

Thumbs up Call Me Last

I will beat any advertised price.

good to know EDD. Maybe I'll check out the boat show and see what looks good. I'll let you know!

I like having 2 separate units but I can understand where a single do everything unit has it's place. Whatever you decide get the biggest screen your budget will allow and you won't be sorry. When I decide to get another FF it will be DSX600 or something comparable. I have a 3x5 screen and I would not hesitate to go larger.

Get a Raymarine dx500. I have the 600 and it is awesome. The other option is Furuno but make sure it is digital like the Raydx series.

Look on most any party/charter boat and you will find Furuno and Icom products along with other high end commercial grade gear. That said, I have a Furuno color machine FCV 600L in my pilot house. Never a problem with it, going on 5th season. Expensive, yes. Are there other units that will do the job? Yup. Quality counts here. Bigger screen the better, no doubt if you can fit and afford it. Capt.Matt.
    Capt.Matt. USCG Licensed 2001 Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilot House 90 Honda
    and too many outboards

Hi again...no luck at the boat show, but I think I have narrowed my decision down to the Raymarine DS500X.

One stupid question though...what's the difference between the models 400..500..and 600? Is it just the screen size? and why is bigger better unless you are a little blind?

Don't hold back with the comments. thanks!!!

It's America bigger is always better Really though..when you are fishing and looking for structure you anly want to take a glance at it and know what you are looking at. The DS500S is a good choice all the same features as the 600. The 400 is way too small. I was thinking of getting it if I buy a freshwater boat. I'm sure there is a barner advertiser that can get you a good deal on one.

thanks a bunch. I was pretty sure that is all it was, but I had to make sure. I think you are right about the DS500X. Probably makes sense to go with that over the 400. thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in