Boat Dealer Fraud
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat Dealer Fraud

Exclamation

!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!! !!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!! !!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!! !!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!! !!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!

I am writing about a NJ boat brokerage that has outright stolen people?s money. The Company is Snug Harbor Yacht Sales - Web site (http://www.snugharboryachtsales.com/index.html) Phone # 732-701-9333, with the owner being Tom Gingras. This is meant to provide, consumer awareness, and to exercise extreme caution when dealing with this company / individual.

I have been looking to upgrade to a larger fishing boat to purchase. I found it (2000 Mako 293) on Boats.com, where I was directed to Snug Harbor Yacht Sales. I live in Wilmington, DE and the boat is located in Bayville, NJ. I contacted the sales office [October 2002], inquired on the boat and arranged to see/ inspect the boat. Within the couple of weeks from initial contact and actually viewing the boat for the first time there were a total of 3 different salesmen assigned to this boat that I dealt with [that should have been the first red flag]. I liked the boat and made an offer, through negotiations we agreed on a price. I signed a contract: (contingent upon a Marine Survey, Mechanical Inspection (of the outboards), and Sea Trial) and placed 10 % deposit of the contract ( $ 6,850 for overall purchase price of $ 68,500). I had a professional Marine survey performed and a separate mechanical inspection of the outboards (by an authorized Mercury dealer). Several minor problems were reported as normal, however I discovered that the boat engines had 158 hours instead of the 50 hours in the ad specs and the boat did not have air conditioning (as verbally described to me). I therefore send a cancellation of the contract, based on the findings. I requested a drop in price or a refund of my deposit. The boat owner did not agree to the new offer ($ 65,000), so I asked for my money back. The brokerage owner ? Snug Harbor Yacht Sales (Tom Gingras) has not returned my phone calls or made any other form of correspondence [5 weeks]. The salesman (Tom Murphy) tells me that only the brokerage owner can refund my money. The original check was made out to Snug Harbor Yacht Sales. I have paid for all the inspections/surveys, so there are no expenses outstanding (I have copies of all the documents, ads, and contract).

The worst part that I have come to find out is that the owner, Tom Gingras, has been pulling this stunt for some time. It appears that everyone in the local area of this brokerage company is aware of his tactics. My first indication came when I met with the Boat Surveyor (William Gross), he indicated that several people had not been able to obtain their deposit money back. Unfortunately my check had already cleared when I heard this.

I have continued to contact the salesman, Tom Murphy and another salesman (Frank Stebbins) from Snug Harbor Yacht Sales. Both men tell me that there are many similar cases going on. The owner leaves for days without any communications or word of pending business. When I tried to call one day (1/8/03) all the phones had been temporarily disconnected. Frank, Tom, and the secretary have all left the outfit.

I then took the day off to travel from Delaware to Bay Head, NJ. I started with the Bay Head police dept to file a formal complaint (Theft by deception). From Lieutenant Grace - It seems that Gingras has been indeed doing this for some time in several towns (Brick, Brielle, Bay Head - NJ). The reason he?s gotten away with it for so long is that most people have never filed a formal complaint. So he [Gingras] counts on this, and those people that persist, he?s returned their money ? several months later. Those that give up, he keeps their money. It seems he has really been putting it on strong however; because there seems to be a flood of recent people coming forth. From what I have been told the losses are: myself $ 6,850, 2 cases in NY one for $ 11,000 and one for $8,200, 5 from NJ for $ 38,000, $30,000, $ 5,000, $ 3,000, and $ 500, and one from RI for $ 30,000 !!!. There are a total of 7 signed police reports as of 1/30/2003, and a couple more are supposed to file soon. The county prosecutor?s is now investigating.

There is reason to believe that [Gingras] is heading for bankruptcy and will try to wash all this away to make off with the loot.

If anyone knows of any other victims they should contact:

Bay Head Police http://www.bayheadpolice.org/ at (732) ? 892-0632 ask for Lieutenant Grace
    Ocean County prosecutor?s office Anthony Pierro 732-929-2027, and/or Investigator Mark Malinowski to file a complaint. Web site http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/prosecutor/main.htm .
    BBB - 1700 Whitehorse-Hamilton Square Road - Suite D-5 - Hamilton, NJ 08690 - Phone 609-588-0808 Fax 609-588-0546 Contact Joan Klek
    NJ Consumer Affairs http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/home.htm
    o Ocean County Dept of Consumer Affairs - PO Box 2191 - Toms River, NJ 08754-2191 Phone 732-929-2105 Director Kenneth J. Leake - Contact Ed McBride 732-288-7810
    Internet Fraud Complaint Center (if applicable) run by the FBI http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp
    US Mail - mail fraud (if applicable) https://www.usps.com/postalinspector...dComplaint.htm
    Boat US Caroline Ajootian, AVP Director, BoatU.S. Consumer Protection Bureau - 880 S. Pickett St. - Alexandria, VA 22304 703-461-2856 phone - 703-461-4674 fax ? email [email protected]

Mike Grover

Phone 302-792-4075
    email [email protected]

[This message has been edited by grover (edited 01-31-2003).]

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Talking

Fraud= He lied, he knew he lied, and someone was harmed economically by his lie.

Who signed the contract? Snug Harbor corp?

Phil

Talking

Contract was signed by the boat owner - SNUG Harbor facilitated the contract (their letterhead)- I'll say he lied - he said I'd get my deposit back if we didn't have a deal - I haven't heard from him since - I'm out $6,850 and no boat either !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TWIN D'S:
    Fraud= He lied, he knew he lied, and someone was harmed economically by his lie.

Who signed the contract? Snug Harbor corp?

Phil
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Talking

Unbelievable story. Thanks for posting this and bringing it to a public forum. I hope you are successful in getting your money back.

------------------
    Anthony Marino
    Avalon, NJ

Talking

SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR PROBLEMS-I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY.WE DEALT WITH RUDY MARINE AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.THERE SHOULD BE SOME KIND OF WEBSITE TO LET YOU KNOW OF PRIOR PROBLEMS WITH DEALERSHIPS.GOOD LUCK....

Talking

Sorry to hear about that. Time to get a lawyer involved. Take them to court then get the court to take it right out of their bank account.

I don't think I've ever heard a good word about Rudy's. They're the definition of a used car salesman.

------------------
    Paid Advertiser Of TheBassBarn.com
    Ready to meet your Fishing Tackle needs www.eastcoasttackle.com
    RFA PA Budget/Finance Chair

Talking

Yeah, what Bob said based on my experience. But that negative experience led to the purchase of my 25 G/W from Lake Erie,all for the best. I'm a happy guy.

------------------
    Safe Fishing
    LEGAL EASE
    Marty D
    Long Reach Marina
    RFA Member

Talking

I think some baseball bat therapy would be in order!

------------------
    Jimbo, advertiser BB
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jblose4

Banned

Cool

I agree with Jimbo.

Talking

AAAAAHHHHHHHh i love the smell of vigilante justice in the am

baseball bat therapy would apply here yes i do belive

and rudy marine sure except leave the "y" out of it do not like them one bit
    good luck to you

Bob
    Sea Devil

Talking

Well, my turn to chime in about RUDE-Y'S.
    I'm a contracter who did a few jobs for Rudy's before they built the new building on MD. ave. I dealt with a guy by the name of tom who ran the store.....not sure if he still does. (I hope not) I've never seen a cheaper $OB in my life! He was satisfied with everything we did EXCEPT the price. All you contracters know how some people try to beat down the price, but this guy is just unbeleivable. Make a long story short I told him never call us again! AFTER I GOT THE CHECK!

Talking

WE BOUGHT A 204 DC ANGLER FROM THEM,TRADING IN A 16'6" SEANYMPH FULLY LOADED.DIDN'T GET WHAT WE WANTED FOR THE NYMPH,SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THEN....BUT BEING A WOMAN I GAVE HIM A SECOND CHANCE,THE BOUNTY HUNTER YELLNG THE WHOLE WAY.WE GOT INSTALLED A FOUL WEATHER SET UP,REALLY NICE. NEVER ONCE DID HE MENTION THAT YOU CAN'T DRIVE WITH IT ON,THE CARE,ETC.KNOWING THAT WE WERE NEW TO BOATING. WE TOOK THE BOAT OUT A COUPLE OF TIMES,IT WAS MARCH COLD WEATHER ,NO PROBLEM WRONG!!!ON OUR THIRD TIME OUT THE LEFT SIDE PANEL TORE TO SHREDS. HERE THEY INSALLED IT WRONG,THE BOLTS FACING OUT INTO THE PANEL.BROUGHT IT TO THEIR ATTENTION TOM(YES HE STILL WORKS THERE,HE OWNS RUDY'S)SAID IT WAS OUR FAULT FOR DRIVING WITH IT ON.WHICH WE DID ONCE,WHEN WE BROUGHT IT HOME.WE ENDED HAVING TO CALL THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO HELP US OUT.I CALLED THE CANVAS COMPANY ALSO TO FIND OUT HOW IT IS TO BE INSTALLED.THEY WERE UPSET WITH RUDY'S WORK ALREADY AND SAID THEY WERE GONNA STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM.ALL IN ALL RUDY'S WERE NEVER FOUND WRONG BECAUSE OF WORDING-WE PAID FOR THE FOUL WEATHER SET UP $1,500.00 NOT FOR THE INSTALLATION.JUST ALITTLE LOOP HOLE.WE ENDED UP SENDING THE PANEL BACK TO THE CANVAS CO. IN FLA.PAYING ANOTHER $500.00TO GET IT FIXED. THE SET UP HAS GIVEN US NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS...I WISH I HAD CHECKED AROUND MORE.

Angry

when i seen the title i thoutgh you were talking about my guy in salem nj,

here's some of my story, i can't say too much for it's under investgatsion by the secert sevrice,

i recived a call after having this boat for three years,from the SS they wanted to talk to me about vessle fraud. being that i'm a merchant marine & work on a boat i couldn;t think what it was about,can you say nervouis.

well i called the number 215 861 3300,the agents name was jason harris.the ohone get awnser "secrect service;isay whats so secret about it ? the man says who calling? i say my name,he ask what this in reffernce to i tell him jason called me, he puts me though to his voice mail..it wasn't some jurky boy stuff it was real...

the deal is under investgation for fraud and they wanted a statement from me of my sale with him.

the bank dosen't have my boat title, i call the bank bank one. they have many loans out with him and all are fishy in oneway or another.

ie one guy finds the modle boat he's looking for @ said dealer,the guy wants a sea tryle, dealer say it's to ruff, but you;ll love this boat it's everything you were told,dealer says lets do this fill out the loan papers and come back in three days the weather will be nicer, we'll take her out you'll love her and be able to take her home that day! the buyer comes back three days a hunderd feet from the dock the motor blows up!!!towed back to the dock the buyer says stick this boat up your a$$!

two months later he finds an other same modle good boat and wants it, so they put the loan throw and you guessed it he's over extended he all readly has a boat loan. what ? yes the other dealer put the loan throw and keeps his money & the boat, only makeing minuem payment so he's dosen't know it.

this dealer has nothing in his name! nothing no house no marina's no car no nothing....i belive he's loading the wagon getting ready to fly the country with a bag of every bodys cash,,,

So 6800 is a drop in the bucket rigth ? i'm out 30 gs times this by 500 people..I understand 30 or 68 it's our hard earned money, just think how enron poeple feel ?
    that the only thougth that keeps me going''

freedom rip

Unhappy

Grover, welcome to the Barn. Sorry your first postings are on the down side, but thank you for the warnings on this guy. Maybe I can help a little.

If I were you, I would be a pain in the local district attorney's a$$ until they do something. I would also contact the US attorney in the area. The Feds may be able to get involved if there was any mailing to or from you to snug harbor as it would also be a possible mail fraud case. They may also be able to get involved since you are an out of state resident.

The most important thing I would do however is make certain you do not lose the check, it is not only proof of your payment, but contains valuable info on it, his bank & bank account. Hopefully there is cash in it.

If I were you, I would file a small claims action against him ASAP. Odds are he will not show. Get a judgment for the amount due or the court maximum (not certain what max. amounts are in NJ). If no appeal from the judgment, then can garnish/attach his bank account and bank will freeze account and pay you the money for your judgement if there is enough in the account.

I have done it in the past. It takes time and persistence, but there is usually a payoff. May not be for the full amount but it may be something.

Don't give up on it. Good luck.

------------------
    Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
    TOM MULDOON
    Co-Founder - Team Do Wops
    THE REEL WON
    Cape May, NJ
    RFA Member
    [email protected]
    or
    [email protected]

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freedom:
    when i seen the title i thoutgh you were talking about my guy in salem nj,

here's some of my story, i can't say too much for it's under investgatsion by the secert sevrice,

i recived a call after having this boat for three years,from the SS they wanted to talk to me about vessle fraud. being that i'm a merchant marine & work on a boat i couldn;t think what it was about,can you say nervouis.

well i called the number 215 861 3300,the agents name was jason harris.the ohone get awnser "secrect service;isay whats so secret about it ? the man says who calling? i say my name,he ask what this in reffernce to i tell him jason called me, he puts me though to his voice mail..it wasn't some jurky boy stuff it was real...

the deal is under investgation for fraud and they wanted a statement from me of my sale with him.

the bank dosen't have my boat title, i call the bank bank one. they have many loans out with him and all are fishy in oneway or another.

ie one guy finds the modle boat he's looking for @ said dealer,the guy wants a sea tryle, dealer say it's to ruff, but you;ll love this boat it's everything you were told,dealer says lets do this fill out the loan papers and come back in three days the weather will be nicer, we'll take her out you'll love her and be able to take her home that day! the buyer comes back three days a hunderd feet from the dock the motor blows up!!!towed back to the dock the buyer says stick this boat up your a$$!

two months later he finds an other same modle good boat and wants it, so they put the loan throw and you guessed it he's over extended he all readly has a boat loan. what ? yes the other dealer put the loan throw and keeps his money & the boat, only makeing minuem payment so he's dosen't know it.

this dealer has nothing in his name! nothing no house no marina's no car no nothing....i belive he's loading the wagon getting ready to fly the country with a bag of every bodys cash,,,

So 6800 is a drop in the bucket rigth ? i'm out 30 gs times this by 500 people..I understand 30 or 68 it's our hard earned money, just think how enron poeple feel ?
    that the only thougth that keeps me going''

freedom rip
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freedom,

Say it ain't so!!!! I thought that crap was all settled with your boat??? Are you saying the bank wants your boat back???

Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in