My new traps
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My new traps

Default My new traps

So now I have 10 open top traps with floats, and a few other conventional traps. Iím figuring I need to get some chicken necks. Where do you guys get the necks? I guess thighs work bu I hear necks stand up better and last longer. Thanks! Looking to get out soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I got my last box at Bringhurst Meats in Berlin. I am not sure where you can get them locally in your area.

Get drum sticks and use a small zip tie to hold them in the cage. Crabs can't steal them
    U / W HUNTER likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Ok I know I could use thighs or drumsticks but the local crabber dude uses necks. I guess I could order them at Acme. In the meantime I’ll use some drumsticks.

I have even had success using bunker and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces. The bait spring held it and it didn’t disappear like I thought it would but man it is messy

When I visit my son in Lancaster Co, I buy a 30lb box at Shady Maple, near New Holland, every year. Usually lasts.

Semper Fi Class of '67
    2018 Duke of Fluke 1st Place

Have you guys tried any of the crab attractants on the market? I've been curious as to whether they actually increase the yields, I do know from experience they are *extremely* smelly which, according to https://crabsman.com/best-bait-for-crabbing/ is a huge draw to the crabs.

For bulk chicken necks you can get them at Hockers on Cedar Neck road depending on where you're located.

Crabbintime, I am not positive, but the crab charter guy at my dock uses necks and I think he soaks them is something. He usually has the necks in a Tupperware container with liquid. I’ll have to ask him.
    I have to stop at acme to see about an order of necks.
    In the meantime, I plan to use some drumsticks and I will get a few frozen bunker. I’ll do a comparison test.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CrabbinTime View Post
    Have you guys tried any of the crab attractants on the market? I've been curious as to whether they actually increase the yields, I do know from experience they are *extremely* smelly which, according to https://crabsman.com/best-bait-for-crabbing/ is a huge draw to the crabs.

For bulk chicken necks you can get them at Hockers on Cedar Neck road depending on where you're located.
    "
    Best for Dungeness Crabs" ??

------------

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CrabbinTime View Post

I used to soak the chicken in bunker oil, really stinks. Now I use Blue Crab Fuel, not quite as stinky

If you are up this way - Yanks Farms 2102 Concord Rd, Chester, PA 19013. call ahead and they have them ready in 20 30 or 40 lbs packaging. I cut them in half then put 30 pieces in a zip-lock and freeze. I run 25 topless at a time
    Mr. Mojo Rising and Retainer like this.
    Legal Reform
    Reduce the numbers of Lawyers in Public Office

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtop View Post
    If you are up this way - Yanks Farms 2102 Concord Rd, Chester, PA 19013. call ahead and they have them ready in 20 30 or 40 lbs packaging. I cut them in half then put 30 pieces in a zip-lock and freeze. I run 25 topless at a time
    Yanks is where I normally get mine. I went there back in late March/early April and they were out of them.

My wife goes to Lancaster often. I’ll get the number for Yanks, she could pick them up on way home. Thanks!

With chicken necks supplied by Mojo Rising, my wife, my middle daughter and I headed out for some crabbing late this afternoon. We went up the Patcong near the GSP overpass. Set out the 10 topless traps I bought from Sealion and wife and I went to work. It was the top of the tide and just started going out. The returns were less than stellar, but not a bad showing for out first time setting out traps like this. We moved once to get out of the fast moving water, but the second location was not that great. We managed about 20 crabs, with 12 keepers that are steaming as I make this report. Water temp was 87.

So my question is this. I’m no crabbing expert. But I think the incoming tide is probably a better catch, although I would think it wouldn’t matter. The water temp seemed high. I don’t think we set out traps far enough apart and lastly, would it be better to set the traps in slightly moving water? I was setting them out in 6’ to 10’ of water. Along the marsh but not in the channel where it was deeper and faster moving water.

Help me out here.

I have great success in warm water. I have found at times crabbing through dead low had really paid off and have also done well at high. I know you cant get back there but if you go north in the creek on the other side of Steve’s it can be very lucrative. One of my go to spots is near the power plant working the flats near green buoy #5. I know moons play a part but not sure how that works. I normally look for commercial pots #667 and work in those areas.
    Retainer likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in