Fishing reports June 1 - June 30 - Reply to Topic

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Fishing reports June 1 - June 30

Your Message


Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.


Additional Options

  • Will turn into [URL][/URL].

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM
    Had some confusion with charter today. Was to take a dad and his two young kids chumming in the back bay for sand sharks and hopefully a bass or blue or two. Charter never showed up as he had marked the wrong date on his calendar. The only time I fish mid day is if I chum as fishing in the brightest sun and the heat of the day is the kiss of death for fly or plug fishing unless it is foggy or overcast.

    Since the boat was ready to go I figured I would do a quick hit and run trip. Water at the top of the tide in the marina was 62 degrees. Water was super clean. Shot to the back bay to fish some sod banks. Water there was 68 degrees. Ready had low expectations as there was so much light in the water I could see my fly when it hit the water and every strip back to the boat. Did make some magic happen. Found 2 small bass around 1:45 pm. Could actually see the fish come out of no where, rush toward the fly and strike it.

    Only got the two strikes and hooked both. Fished a couple of different areas but there was just way to much sunlight and called it quits after about 2 hours.
  • 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM
    Didn't fish last night as I had a fly anger that wanted to catch his first striper on the fly. Had nice weather, but with the best striper action being in the back bay and a really bad tide with no water to fish in the back till after dark we canceled to find another day when tides would be better. This last week has been a little weird. We have had some really cold water in the low 60's all week and no signs of any bait fish or bird activity around the inlet and no bluefish action to speak of on the last 4 outings.
  • 06-27-2017, 09:58 AM
    Had to work hard Monday night for fish or at least it felt that way. Left the dock at 4:30 pm. with a one person fly charter to fish the incoming tide in the ocean. Water at the dock was 73 degrees. When we hit the ocean it was 63 degrees and nice and clean. Using chartreuse/white clousers he caught 5 weakfish to 17 inches, two throwback fluke and a sea/herring and missed a few fish. (all fish were released) We fished three different spots until the tide got higher and worked for some stripers. Saw no bait fish or bird play anywhere and the water around the inlet with a good running tide was around 61 degrees and dead other than one hit and miss.

    With a little bit of water in the back bay, we headed to the back and worked 4 different spots and my charter caught two small stripers in a area where the water was around 75 degrees, 3 1/2 feet deep and there was some super small bait fish. The other three spots were dead with out a hit. We headed back to the dock at 8:30 pm. Bay water inside the harbor on the run home was 62 degrees. I think the big temperatures changes are effecting the fish's minds. I know it is effecting mine! When you un-hooked a fish it felt like it was on ice.
  • 06-26-2017, 09:04 PM
    sparse grey
    Sounds like two nice trips Ray & good to see some weakfish.
  • 06-26-2017, 02:08 PM
    Monday morning left the dock at 5:30 am to fish the incoming tide in the ocean with a 2 person fly charter. Water was 62 degrees in the inlet and a light north west wind making it feel like fall. Used the same as last night. Chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. One angler with lesser casting skill decided to use the spin rod instead and switched to gulp on a jig head. Both the fly and the the jig head were productive. Action was pretty steady. They caught 8 fluke (all throwbacks) and 7 weakfish and missed a fair number of fish. The biggest weakie was caught on a fly.

    Tried working some areas like last night with more current for stripers, but we didn't have any takers so we moved to the back bay to work some sod banks to finish out the trip. In 3 to 4 feet of water that was 63 they caught 5 stripers and missed two.

    Fly angler caught on intermediate line using a chartreuse/white clouser and spin angler caught on a swimming plug, with the fly angler catching 3 of the 5 bass in the back. Over all it was a pretty decent morning and we were back at the dock at 10:00 am as it was getting too bright and it was starting to get warm out.
  • 06-26-2017, 01:48 PM
    Everything went well for Sunday nights charter. Left the dock at 4:30 pm. with a one person fly charter to fish the incoming tide in the ocean. Water at the marina was 74 degrees. When we hit the inlet it was 62 degrees. We had a light south wind and the water was fairly clean. Fishing was fairly slow but managed to pick up 2 throw back fluke and 3 keeper size weakfish that were around the same size.

    They were all caught on chartreuse/white clousers and released. With the tide coming in strong we move to a couple of other areas to fish for stripers and caught 4 small schoolie size bass using the same fly and intermediate line.

    Water was 60 degrees when we finished fishing and it felt like fall. We were glad we brought sweat shirts and jackets. Water at the dock was 62 degrees when we came in.
  • 06-25-2017, 12:59 PM
    No wind problems Friday afternoon. Just an electric motor problem. Left the dock at 4:00 pm. with 3 lady fly anglers to fish the incoming tide. Ladies had done a lot of freshwater fly fishing but not much salt. I had two of the ladies out before and was able to get them some bass even with their limited casting skills. (25 ft and 35 feet casts.)

    It was a bit windy, maybe 15 mph when we left the dock with the wind to drop out as the evening went on. Water was really very brown as we worked the incoming tide in the ocean. We fished for about and hour, with them missing one fish, when my electric motor started doing weird things. Usually a sign that the control board or wrist controller went bad. Got out my back up wrist controller and that didn't solve the problem. With a strong incoming tide and 15 mph winds their was no way I could properly control boat position with out an electric motor so two could fish and I was forced to terminate the trip and head to the dock.

    I had another group of three lady fly anglers (from the same group) scheduled for Saturday morning so I went home to get my back up electric motor so I would be ready for the AM trip. Got the back up motor on the boat and it too had the same problem as the first motor. Figured it can be as I know it was good. I concluded it must be an electrical connection problem as two control board couldn't go down at the same time. Worked till dark checking the battery connections all the way to the plug connection in the front of the boat. Figured it had to be some where in the last female connector.

    At this point West Marine was closed and I would have to wait till 8:00 am. to get a new connector. This forced me to cancel the girls group for Sunday morning. Needless to say they were a bit disappointed and were going to a plan B where all 6 would try the surf at Cape May Point in the morning.

    8:00 am. before I buy a new connector I figured I would take my foot pedal control and see if that worked. It did and both engines operated fine. The electric connector was good and either both auto pilot controls were bad or the wrist controllers. Next step was to get a back up auto pilot control board from home and try that. With that not working it now had to be in the wrist controllers. Figured what are the odds that both wrist controllers would go bad at the same time or both of the batteries went down at the same time.

    Went to CVS and got two new batteries for the wrist controllers and both electric motors are functioning properly. What are the odds of both batteries going bad considering that they were replaced at different times. (that's the whole idea of having a back up)

    Now all I have to worry about is finding some fish this afternoon's charter.
  • 06-24-2017, 12:27 PM
    Just plain brutal Friday night. Left the dock with one person fly charter. Wind was blowing at 10 to 11 mph at the house and it looked like a great fishing night. Right after we left the dock the wind started to pick up pretty good out of the south. With a super big incoming tide with the new moon pushing 6.00 feet we went to work the inlet before heading to the back bay. I hadn't fished there in awhile and wanted to check it out. When we left the dock the water was 75 degrees. When we hit the inlet it was 61 degrees. Water looked clean and fishy with fairly good wave action so we stayed on the inside. Worked it for about an hour and had one hit using a clouser on sinking line.

    The wind kept building so we headed to the back where we tried a good number of areas, looking for bait fish, bird activity or signs of life and we found no spots that had any life. We moved all over figuring there had to be life some where. I couldn't find it. All night we manged to scrounge two small stripers 15 to 17 inches with the winds around 20 mph. and we had 3 other hits.

    My charter was a great caster which really helped as it was difficult just to keep the boat where I wanted it. We even tried a couple of semi-sheltered creeks that normally hold bass on the super high tides and found nothing. By the time we quit the water was way over the sod banks making it look like the water was up to the parkway. (it is never good when it is like that.) as you loose all defined structure to work. On the way back to the dock it felt more like fall with the wind and the water passing under the old 50 cent bridge at 60 degrees. Think it was combination of the 15 degree water temp change and the high winds that caused the fish to have lock jaw. One of the toughest nights I have had this year. Water back at the dock was now 61 degrees.
  • 06-22-2017, 10:03 PM
    Bit of a strange morning. No fly fishing again today. Had two 14 year old boys and 11 year old and their aunt. We left the dock at 7:00 am. to fish the out going tide in the back bay. Was planning on going straight to chumming with clam bellies but the kids has some spin fishing skills and I decided to try them using popping plugs for the first hour before the tide started out. Got to the back and it was dead flat calm. Gnats and green heads were out in force and we had to go to bug spray. Boys had 4 hits and hooked one small bass. Almost got it to the boat but we could see the line was hooked on the side of the fish with the line around the plug and it broke off.

    Moved on to the original plan. Anchored up and started chumming. There was still zero wind and it was super hot and the grass and weed was as thick as I have seen it. It would completely cover the baits and every two minutes we would have to check the lines for weed cover. Luckily the wind picked up enough to make it pleasant after about and hour into the chumming. We got some sand sharks that the boys liked, but had to work for them with all the weeds, were normally you catch them as fast as you can get a line down.

    Might of had one bass or bluefish on as it stayed near the surface and ran off to the side but we never saw it before it came off.

    Boys had a good time but with all the grass, blood and chum sun baked on the boat it was and extra long clean up back at the dock.
  • 06-21-2017, 12:56 PM
    Wednesday morning was a little different. I thought I would pick up where I left off last night. Left the dock at 6:00 am. with another father and son light tackle trip. There was very little wind as we headed to the back bay. They used popping plugs. Third cast we had the first small striper boated and I thought it was going to be a super morning.

    It was not to be. After about 5 minutes of fishing the gnats were out in full force and we had to go to bug spray to keep them under control. It was a strange morning. We would get a very light hit or a follow for about every 100 yards of sod bank that we would work and they missed 4 out of 5 fish that would strike. Then every once in a while one would hit like it was starving.

    We ended up with 8 bass on the morning with nothing big and no bluefish at all. All the fish we caught were about average size.

    Luckily half way through the trip the wind kicked up 12 to 15 mph and the gnats were all gone. Guys were happy but they had to work hard for every fish as they were really very not very aggressive this morning.
  • 06-21-2017, 12:35 PM
    Tuesday afternoon the wind gods finally let us go out and play. Left the dock at 4:15 pm. to fish the last of the incoming and the beginning of the out going tide in the back bay. Wind was from the south west at 12 to 15 mph which seemed like nothing compare to the days before. Was a father and son light tackle trip and guys were fishing popping plugs. Second cast they hooked up a big fish. Fought it and got it close to the boat and saw it was a big bluefish around 30 inches. It took a good run and bit the plug off.

    We started with decent action finding a couple of pods of bait fish that held some fish and started catching some small stripers.

    We covered a good amount of ground and kept picking at bass here and there catching two decent eating size blues (not as big as the one missed) and a few decent size bass.

    Overall it was a good night. Decent wind, no bugs. (except I saw the first green head land on the boat) and the guys had 17 bass and two bluefish on the night and we were back at the dock by 8:30 PM.
  • 06-20-2017, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Ron, sounds like a really slow morning. No hits or any other fish hitting at all? Should of went out in the boat as there is always some place you can move to. At least you got to fish.

    Yesterday was another canceled trip. Was getting gusts to 28 mph yesterday afternoon when we were to leave the dock and 2 hours later the heavy rain and thunderstorms came along so it was good to be home and inside. Today is looking good with light winds and no rain and I am looking forward to getting on the water again.
    yeah "light winds" here today as well ... only 10-15 with some gusts

    going anyway, just don't know if the flyrod'll come out
  • 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM
    Ron, sounds like a really slow morning. No hits or any other fish hitting at all? Should of went out in the boat as there is always some place you can move to. At least you got to fish.

    Yesterday was another canceled trip. Was getting gusts to 28 mph yesterday afternoon when we were to leave the dock and 2 hours later the heavy rain and thunderstorms came along so it was good to be home and inside. Today is looking good with light winds and no rain and I am looking forward to getting on the water again.
  • 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM
    sparse grey
    Hang in there Ray. Saw the sun come up on the beach this AM. Still looking for the elusive beach snook. Fished a couple hours with int ln on my 8wt. & a short silvery minnow about 2 in long. Friend was spinning with a small plug, switching to plastics. Would like to say we each caught but neither of us did. Maybe tomorrow.
  • 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
    Weather will not cut me a break. Canceled Saturday night due to too much wind. They were calling for 20 mph winds and I had two inexperienced fly anglers that were driving down from Pa. just for the trip. I canceled before they drove all the way down. It was pretty windy so it was a good call. This morning it was suppose to be 4 to 8 mph winds but when we got down to the boat the wind was still blowing strong and with close to low tide there was no water in the back and the ocean still had heavy wave activity and wind so we canceled this morning.

    Looking at the forecast this afternoon, they were calling for 8 to 10 mph winds as I was looking at the wind gauge on my house hitting wind gusts to 25 mph. Went down to the boat and saw the whole inter-harbor covered with white caps and canceled tonight. Would of been no fun for anyone even trying to fish a semi-sheltered spot.

    Hope to get in tomorrow afternoon trip, but right now they are calling for 12 to 13 mph winds with a 75 to 85 percent chance of thunderstorms and rain. Seems like we are seeing very few nice calm decent days for fishing this year. It is the year of a lot of wind.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts