BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 115hp outboard that is on a 24ft pontoon. it was smoking a bit and then it started to lose power, and even stalling when throttling up. at idle it will run perfect for an hour, start to throttle up out of the hole it wants to cut out and die, throttle back to keep it from dying it cuts out and dies. so far we have replaced fuel line, vro on it 2 times to rule out bad pumps. performed a carb clean on all 4 carbs, changed plugs. the motor has 135/140 compression on all 4 cylinders. changed fuel filters, oil filters, and still same issues. I have even changed powerhead gasket as well. I am 3500 into this and still not running. Anyone have suggestions I can pass onto my mechanic?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 115hp outboard that is on a 24ft pontoon. it was smoking a bit and then it started to lose power, and even stalling when throttling up. at idle it will run perfect for an hour, start to throttle up out of the hole it wants to cut out and die, throttle back to keep it from dying it cuts out and dies. so far we have replaced fuel line, vro on it 2 times to rule out bad pumps. performed a carb clean on all 4 carbs, changed plugs. the motor has 135/140 compression on all 4 cylinders. changed fuel filters, oil filters, and still same issues. I am 3500 into this and still not running. Anyone have suggestions I can pass onto my mechanic?
Thank you.
Does you gas line have a anti siphon valve on it. Does the pickup line have a screen on it?
Yes and it is working as it should. was one of the first things we checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check Your TPS resistance and crankshaft sensor resistance?
That also was checked and ran as it should. this was the last thing we checked. I replaced the power pack as well.
as we found a burnt wire into the box. changed it, and we to try it out this morning, all the same issues apply throttle and it dies regardless in reverse or throttle.

This has me scratching my head. even a very solid 30 yr marine mechanic is not sure.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Something is not right here. That 03 rude is a Ficht. It has no VRO or carbs. it's a direct injected engine. So who ever mech is telling you they changed the VRO twice and cleaned all 4 carbs is bsing you.
First thing that should have been done was to download the computer for error codes. No one throws parts at an engine with computer that will tell you what's wrong. If you changed the EMM you'll need to download the original one for the error codes.

·
Registered
25 ft Sea Hunt w/twin 150 Yamahas
88 Posts
I have a 115hp outboard that is on a 24ft pontoon. it was smoking a bit and then it started to lose power, and even stalling when throttling up. at idle it will run perfect for an hour, start to throttle up out of the hole it wants to cut out and die, throttle back to keep it from dying it cuts out and dies. so far we have replaced fuel line, vro on it 2 times to rule out bad pumps. performed a carb clean on all 4 carbs, changed plugs. the motor has 135/140 compression on all 4 cylinders. changed fuel filters, oil filters, and still same issues. I have even changed powerhead gasket as well. I am 3500 into this and still not running. Anyone have suggestions I can pass onto my mechanic?
Thank you.

Trade it in for a Yamaha! I had a 2 stroke from 2003 till I traded it 2 yrs ago for 2 150 hp 4 strokes! Very happy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts