BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 1/6/08 New Jersey’s commercial summer flounder season opened with a daily trip limit of 7500 lbs. Conservation Officer Snellbaker boarded the F/V Little Sammie as it offloaded its catch at Cold Spring dock in Cape May. CO Snellbaker observed the vessel offload 8200 lbs. of summer flounder, 700 lbs. over their landing limit. CO Snellbaker issued one summons each to the Captain of the vessel and the owner of the vessel for violations of New Jersey’s commercial summer flounder regulations.

Not trying to start a Comm. vs Rec, just thought i'd share what i found on New Jersey's Conservation Officer Association's website
http://www.njcoa.com/highlights/H_08_01.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,377 Posts
ccmarinetowers said:
8200lbs at a avege 5lbs each thats 1640 fish thats in 1 trip wow how many trips do they make? thats not right:( :( :(
They make very few trips. They're under the same cutbacks we are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,417 Posts
ccmarinetowers said:
8200lbs at a avege 5lbs each thats 1640 fish thats in 1 trip wow how many trips do they make? thats not right:( :( :(
Why "not right"? That's the difference between a comm operation and a rec operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't make this a rec. vs comm., there are plenty of recs. that got caught as well, just check out the site. I was just amazed that the commercial summer flounder season starts so early. I assume they go out to the deap and drag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
I think that season lasted 1 week. A couple of weeks ago the sea bass season openned for the draggers with a 3500lb limit. They were getting thier limit in a day at the rock pile. I wonder why the fishing reports were bad for a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
Guatemala Dave said:
The season lasted 17 hours, most boats didn't get two trips. Now they are at the dock.

Thank you !!!


The vassal in question was wrong Not gonna argue that he got fined. The system worked Perfect ( Great )

Now let me explain this to you , We are allotted 7,500 pounds during the winter one season. It is very easy to go over as well as going under. We usually fill baskets or totes a basket is about 80 pounds a tote around 110 pounds , Depending who filled them.

The part that tells me that this was a honest / costly mistake is that the fish weren't hidden. I know the law was broken But I personally don't think it was broken out of malless. BTW how many trips were under the 7500 pound trip limit ?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
I was up at the Fisherman's Co-op on Sunday when the draggers were unloading. There had to be at least 8 state troopers on the dock, one in a state police patrol boat and 2 or 3 conservation officers. Since only one or two boats can unload at a time, I think there was enough manpower there to handle a national catastrophe. I guess this was the overflow from the turnpike and I-195, where I counted 7 speed/cell phone traps. My tax dollars at work:( .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fishpicker said:
Thank you !!!


The vassal in question was wrong Not gonna argue that he got fined. The system worked Perfect ( Great )

Now let me explain this to you , We are allotted 7,500 pounds during the winter one season. It is very easy to go over as well as going under. We usually fill baskets or totes a basket is about 80 pounds a tote around 110 pounds , Depending who filled them.

The part that tells me that this was a honest / costly mistake is that the fish weren't hidden. I know the law was broken But I personally don't think it was broken out of malless. BTW how many trips were under the 7500 pound trip limit ?????
I can see what you mean, if the boat uses nothing but the 110 totes it would take 68 full totes to reach the 7500 lb limit and to be over by 700 lbs each tote would only have to be over by 10lbs which could possibly be a couple fish. If the boat used all 80 lb baskets it would take about 94 full baskets to reach the 7500 lb limit and to be over by 700 lbs each basket would have to be over about 7.5 lbs give or take.
I just have one question, do most boats have a scale on board so they can weigh out the totes or baskets? If so there's no escuse for being over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,862 Posts
Whats messed up and pisses me off is Rec's have seen an increase in size limit for last 10 years.

Why is it that Comm's are still allowed to keep 14 inch Fluke ??? And not have a increase in size. I thought the M&S law says Fair and Equitable. This is certaintly not FAIR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
johnny d said:
Whats messed up and pisses me off is Rec's have seen an increase in size limit for last 10 years.

Why is it that Comm's are still allowed to keep 14 inch Fluke ??? And not have a increase in size. I thought the M&S law says Fair and Equitable. This is certaintly not FAIR.

Well the question I'd like to ask is how many pounds of flounder do they kill to put 7500 legal pounds on the dock?

Now back to the 14" com limit. If they up the size for the coms more will go over the side dead..

Rec's are just as guilty, gut hooking or killing fish getting a hook out of them.

They'd be better off dumpping all the size limits on flounder. Let people keep the first ten they catch. Of course people will cull, buts it's still better than gut hooking 15-16" fish or killing them getting a hook out of them then tossing them back..

Let the coms take 10,000lbs(I'm guessing it takes 10K to get 7500 legal) with no size limit. The ones that are too small will at least get ground up for chum(or fertilizer) instead going out thru a deck scupper as a complete waste..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
johnny d said:
Whats messed up and pisses me off is Rec's have seen an increase in size limit for last 10 years.

Why is it that Comm's are still allowed to keep 14 inch Fluke ??? And not have a increase in size. I thought the M&S law says Fair and Equitable. This is certaintly not FAIR.



JD I have said this time and time again the fish that we are catching are small Halibut. The 14 inch flounder that you are up in arms about is about 1/2 % of our total catch. As I have tried several times to explain the bag / Cod end that we use is big mesh the fish that we catch are large fish. You can believe me or you can go down to a dock and watch a fluke boat unload.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
Kyle said:
I can see what you mean, if the boat uses nothing but the 110 totes it would take 68 full totes to reach the 7500 lb limit and to be over by 700 lbs each tote would only have to be over by 10lbs which could possibly be a couple fish. If the boat used all 80 lb baskets it would take about 94 full baskets to reach the 7500 lb limit and to be over by 700 lbs each basket would have to be over about 7.5 lbs give or take.
I just have one question, do most boats have a scale on board so they can weigh out the totes or baskets? If so there's no escuse for being over.


One boat in Cape May tried a motion less scale and they had nothing but problems. It is the captains responsibility for the fish on the boat. But it is up to the crew to help the capt do what best for all. Remember in some cases the Capt and crew pay the fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
Dunk said:
Well the question I'd like to ask is how many pounds of flounder do they kill to put 7500 legal pounds on the dock?

Now back to the 14" com limit. If they up the size for the coms more will go over the side dead..

Rec's are just as guilty, gut hooking or killing fish getting a hook out of them.

They'd be better off dumpping all the size limits on flounder. Let people keep the first ten they catch. Of course people will cull, buts it's still better than gut hooking 15-16" fish or killing them getting a hook out of them then tossing them back..

Let the coms take 10,000lbs(I'm guessing it takes 10K to get 7500 legal) with no size limit. The ones that are too small will at least get ground up for chum(or fertilizer) instead going out thru a deck scupper as a complete waste..

Untill you see it with your own eyes you will not believe how little waste there is .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,393 Posts
A lot of those boats took their limit in one tow. Not too much in the way of discards, as most of their quota are bigger fish.

Up their size from 14" and all you'll see is an increase in dead discards.

They were done in under one day, and now tied to the dock or have switched over to a different species/landing in a different state/etc. Ask the draggermen, there are a whole lot of fluke out there to be had!!!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top