BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the clam and sod bank thing with Capt. Ahab. Ended the day with 8 stripers. One keeper 34" and a slot. The rest were "cookie cutter" 32 inch brutes. A great day fish but tough to swallow with having to throw back big fish.

I could have punched Tom Fote and NJ legislation after the 4 "tweener" went back. :mad: All these big fish being put back can't be good fish mortality.
With 2 @28", woudl have been done fishing by 10:00 AM

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
If you handle with CARE in this cold water the survival rate will be VERY HIGH allowing for a great spawn and continued strong Striped Bass fishing for the future.
The future of the species depends on healthy fish in the 28-34" range as they produce the most hatchable eggs

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had them back in water as fast as possible. Once we had them going into the tide, they would chomp down on your thumb and take off.

Were you out yesterday Willie...tried calling you on the radio?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Bucktail Willie,
Thats a load of crap. Everywhere else people get 2 fish over 28" so why don't you tell the truth, and let everyone know that our fishery managers in the state of NJ dropped the ball, when they insisted on a Slot Fish. Next thing I guess I will see PEW Foundation next to your name as well.

You people make me sick, and I too am tired of throwing all my fish back that I used to be able to keep.

Theofish583,
nice report, great point you made, very clearly, in the simplest of terms. Its very interesting, I agree, much more effort is being put into fishing this year, to come home with way more less fish.
With Bunker Chunking and Live Spot fishing, I am seeing every damn one of them is gut hooked. This is not helping as well.

Big Thumbs down, for the new laws I say, time to get rid of the people who supported thethis new law and replace them with people who are more Recreational Fisherman friendly.
Captn Joe

[ 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Captn Joe ]

·
Registered
190 Posts
CAPT. JOE, NO DISRESPECT BUT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE ARE FISHING TO KEEP FOOD ON THE TABLE. I GO FISHIN TO CATCH FISH NOT TO EAT, IF I BRING ONE HOME THAT IS A BONUS, YEA IT SUCKS WHEN THEY ALL GO BACK IN THE WATER, THE BRIGHT SIDE IS YOU CAN GO DOWN AND CATCH ALOT MORE NICE SIZE STRIPERS THAN IN YEARS PAST. WE USUALLY LIKE TO BRING 1 HOME, BETWEEN 2 OF US AND THAT IS ENOUGH FOR MY AND MY BROTHERS FAMILY. IF WE DON'T BRING 1 HOME, OH WELL,IT'S CHICKEN FOR DINNER. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE KILL IN MY BOOK.

·
Registered
190 Posts
BY THE WAY, I'M EATIN CHICKEN THIS WEEK, RELEASED THE TWEENERS THIS WEEK ALSO. NO BIG DEAL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fellas, fellas, fellas.....

I just post a report and did a little whining. I appreciate everyones stance on our current situation.

Willie

I have seen you fish for years. You put me and my buddy on fish a few times. You C/r and I keep my fish for the table. Let's leave it at that.

My grandfather was LBI surf guy through the 50 and 60 when they used 40 lbb cows for fertilizer for Jersey tomatoes. That generation was wrong for that and my father generation paid for it, with no stripers around. My father died without ever catching striper.

If we are going to get into the C/R thing. The best conservation of species is to leave them alone in nature. Don't go catch a fish, jab them with a hook, take picture of it or throw it into a cooler. Neither is good for a species.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the point here, as Capt. Joe eloquently established, is that NJ Fisheries managers dropped the ball when insisting on a slot fish. The reality of the matter is that when bait fishing, even using circle hooks, some fish are going to get hooked deep. Prior to this year and the deplorable "tweener" situation, those fish could go to the table. Now, when faced with a situation where a "tweener" may not survive, an angler is forced to either; 1) use a bonus tag (although we can only do that 2Xs this year); 2)break the law; or 3)release the fish for crab food.

I also agree that more effort and dollars are being spent to bring home fewer fish for those of us who want to take a few for the table. While I fish for many other reasons than purely subsistance purposes, my family and I enjoy eating fresh stripers. Therefore, I echo the frustration of Theo and Joe.

The other point lost here, is that Theo and I had a great time catching stripers yesterday, and that's the beauty of our chosen pursuit!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by Theofish583:
Did the clam and sod bank thing with Capt. Ahab. Ended the day with 8 stripers. One keeper 34" and a slot. The rest were "cookie cutter" 32 inch brutes. A great day fish but tough to swallow with having to throw back big fish.

I could have punched Tom Fote and NJ legislation after the 4 "tweener" went back. :mad: All these big fish being put back can't be good fish mortality.
With 2 @28", woudl have been done fishing by 10:00 AM
Which day did you fish? I have been doing pretty well in the same area, but I came up empty last Friday and Saturday.

Thanks,
Anthony Marino

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
The new regs are a little more distressing to me personally than I origanally thought they would be. I would rather that I could just take one fish. Over 24" . Period. It is tough to release these fish when you can't get one out of the tweener zone. Which is often these days. When I go fishing I do it because I love the hunt, and I want that "one" fish for the table.

One fish is not to much to ask....is it ?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
CaptnJoe--#1 you will never see PEW next to my name and have a defined track record of being against the action of PEW.
#2- I could care less what the reg's are as I don't keep many fish 327 Bass caught in 2004 ytd 5 went in the pot,rest go back no matter the size.
#3- I talk and I help a lot of people catch bass from banks and little boats not capable of getting in areas where majority of bigger bass are found,these people for most part rarely catch a bass over 28 so slot is important.
#4--I hope you aren't surprised next year when there is a significant possibility of limits getting reduced even more.
I will agree it is tough to release a 28-34" BUT if you look at success Florida is having with Red Drum and Snook you will find it is the result of regulations similair to what we have today with bass.
No need to fight over this the bigger fight on size and limits is coming and it is coming quietly so get ready

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Bucktail Willie,

I guess you can imagine the root of my discontent. I pay upwards to $3 gallon for fuel for my boat, I drive to the shore, fish the beach sod banks, and ocean, have a nice day, catch a few fish, then I gotta to put them back because they are mostly 28 to 34 inches.

Its plain and simple, I have been regulated out from even making up my mind to keep a fish. The trend is disturbing to me. I see the "Jersey Gold" miracle at work, marina's filled with paying customers, Charter boats with 6 people on them every day, Party Boats filled, beaches full of anglers looking for an opportunity to catch a Striped Bass, and God forbid, maybe even eating it for dinner.

I do not see people lining the Sod Banks, releasing "Tweeners", nor do I see many people on the Sod Banks, Jetty's, Bridges and Beaches with a slot fish either. We can agree to disagree on this one Cap, these new laws took alot of fish away from many deserving anglers, ones who have paid a price to fish.

Maybe you never have the words PEW next to your name, I do however "SMELL" you from a mile away,

Captn Joe

[ 11-09-2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Captn Joe ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.