BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down working on my new ride and a very good and realiable source told me that people are fishing East Point and Thompson's and getting fish up tp 42 inches. Biggest problem they are having is finding frozen bunker.This group had 10 "keepers" this past week .

You would hope that The Marine Police in Port Norris would do some patrol both by boat and by car[some of the fish are being taken off the beaches at the point].Water temp at Brandywine is 43.5,so the fish will probably stay active for the next couple weeks.

Would hope that they realize that the season is closed and sit back for the next 4 weeks until March 1 rolls around.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maybe an early run.

not looking to start a pissing match, but remember the thread a few months ago about stripers wintering over in the bay? I believe that they do. If in fact there are people out there catching bass in feb this makes the theory that I and other believe - hold water. I also believe that some bass hold in different temperatures. For instance, the fish that are in the bay right with the water temp at 43 degrees. What happens when it starts to warm up? Do they go up into river spawn and move back out to find the same water temp? I think yes. I think the fish come into the river in seperate schools to spawn at different times durring the spring, rather than just one mass of fish at once.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I think with the main body of stripers not going as far south and the weather we are having may be an early run...I know we got a few weeks left.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Was down working on my new ride and a very good and realiable source told me that people are fishing East Point and Thompson's and getting fish up tp 42 inches. Biggest problem they are having is finding frozen bunker.This group had 10 "keepers" this past week .

You would hope that The Marine Police in Port Norris would do some patrol both by boat and by car[some of the fish are being taken off the beaches at the point].Water temp at Brandywine is 43.5,so the fish will probably stay active for the next couple weeks.

Would hope that they realize that the season is closed and sit back for the next 4 weeks until March 1 rolls around.:eek::eek:
way would you want the marine police to do anything go catch and release some your self and have some fun

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Have caught some nice perch in that area even a few tog

·
Registered
142 Posts
Winter Bass

I've fishing for these fish for about 55 years and all I'm absolutely sure of is that anyone says that all of the fish do any certain thing are WRONG. I've caught them on the beach in the ocean in 39 degree water.(too cold I was told) I've caught them (good sized fish) in 75 degree water. ( Too warm I was told). The map in this thread indicates that the in shore migration doesn't go south of Oregon Inlet NC. A few years back there was a 4 or 5 year period where they had a solid charter boat fishery off of Cape Lookout.
Why did we have so many small fish in the Bay last fall? Thise 20 to 27 inch fish aren't usually in high abundance in the bay in the fall. And yet in some places where that size fish is normally present in great numbers they had off years.
It is way more complicated than any of us (including the scientists) really know.
But what the hell, we all have aloty invested in persueing these critters, so we have the right make theories to fit the currant reports.
I hope you all have a great season. We can figure out why later.

Crazy Bill

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've fishing for these fish for about 55 years and all I'm absolutely sure of is that anyone says that all of the fish do any certain thing are WRONG. I've caught them on the beach in the ocean in 39 degree water.(too cold I was told) I've caught them (good sized fish) in 75 degree water. ( Too warm I was told). The map in this thread indicates that the in shore migration doesn't go south of Oregon Inlet NC. A few years back there was a 4 or 5 year period where they had a solid charter boat fishery off of Cape Lookout.
Why did we have so many small fish in the Bay last fall? Thise 20 to 27 inch fish aren't usually in high abundance in the bay in the fall. And yet in some places where that size fish is normally present in great numbers they had off years.
It is way more complicated than any of us (including the scientists) really know.
But what the hell, we all have aloty invested in persueing these critters, so we have the right make theories to fit the currant reports.

Crazy Bill
Crazy Bill has it right. I have also caught stripers (As well as other species) when I was not supposed to. Wrong time of year- wrong temp, wrong method of fishing, etc. Fish, animals, people- All unpredictable- Especially that crazy species called "woman"! :D.

Jim

True striper sharpies know:D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i thought season is closed till march 1 2012? if i would of known i would of went to the beach also maybe nextweek but i dont want to get cought
so i will wait till march 1 2012

·
Registered
286 Posts
True striper sharpies know that Thompsons Beach and East point is in NJ...:D

You and others OBVIOUSLY cant read between the lines.....what I was saying was, if their over on the jersey side, they might also be on the delaware side...you out of all people should know HOOKER that those fish dont know where the dividing line is for the bay.And also there are quite a few guys who fish out of delaware who are on those bass ALOT and do not share their catches.Only some are privy to that info. So once again get off your high horse:p And yes, I do know where those locations are. Fact is, I dont need to run 15+miles to catch keeper bass. All of my spring,summer and fall catches of bass do not come from the mid to lower bay.. All in the upper parts. And when i say upper i mean above Egg Island point.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i thought season is closed till march 1 2012? if i would of known i would of went to the beach also maybe nextweek but i dont want to get cought
so i will wait till march 1 2012

Don, this is the same as catching a nice keeper flounder in october or november.Its the fact that since the season is closed due to protecting the school of fish that do winter over.Its coincidence that its in the months we dont fish.Why delaware dosnt have the same rules as NJ i cant answer that.You can target bass in the off season but its illegal to possess and keep them in the bay on NJ side.Why do you think the rule is in place "from 0-3 miles from costal Nj open all year round" but not the delaware bay? But as mentioned in a highly debated thread months ago "bass dont winter over in the bay" the months when most fishermen including my self are on the couch dreaming about striper fishing.To save my self another arguement, yes there are bass in the bay in winter. If i was retired, had **** loads of money and not have to worry about working, or any other responseibilties i would be out there hammering them and flooding this form with my amazing catches...but then again i would come under fire saying" i kept the bass or those fish didnt live" ect. this is one of the reasons i dont post reports, i chose to keep them under ground and to with my fellow dockmates and fishermen. enough said.

Btw don, i talked to a netter who is a freind of mine and he has been getting some nice perch in his net:D What if what i said inspired you to go out and fish for perch next week and catch a few perch and you caught a striper? dosnt matter if the bass was 12" or 42" it isnt illegal as long as you let it swim free...get my point?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

Crazy Bill
Well said, Bill. The only thing predictable about fish is...they are unpredictable. I think that's what part of makes our sport so much fun.

See ya on the bay real soon! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.