BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anchored up in the Le inlet at about 4:45 am and it took about 15 min for the first fish and it was steady the rest of the incoming. Right about sunrise got a real nice 27lber, had my gloves off when it hit and the time it took to get him in my hands were nearly numb, got him on the lip-grip and when I went to release him he dropped and then the lip-grip went right in behind him. It did slow for me slightly at the end of the incoming so I went trolling off LBI, very calm and not a single tap, Thinking back, jigging around some of the marks I had probably would have worked better. Back to the LE inlet for the last of the outgoing and that was a GOOD decision. Dropped anchor, threw in a clam and less then a minute one fish then another and so on. It was fast and furious with a heartbreaker dropped at the boat, 30 to 35lbs? Ouch that hurts. I had a great day and enjoyed the company on the radio, special thanks to the guys who dropped off their extra clams to me, I used everyone and got a fish on almost all of them.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

·
Registered
885 Posts
Took some friends out today and had similar success as yesterday. Most fish were under 30 inches, but we did get one 37 inch, 17 lb bass. I met the guys that gave you the clams back at the dock. They also had a very good day on Friday. I need a few days off from fishing to let my hands heal up from the wear and tear. Will try to get back out on Wednesday.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My hands look like ground up meat, what's a little pain for good days of fishing.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I thought it was just me with the hand thing. My hands look like they were grated with a cheese grater.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had my reverse lock slip on a reel that gashed a knuckle on my left hand. Then today while trying to get live fish out of my live well to release, it darted and ran a deep half inch long gash the length of my right middle finger with it's dorsal fin. Plus a few other nicks and scrapes. Anything I touch or grip causes pain. I'll be back out on Wednesday, pain or no pain.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm fishing were it sort of looks good to me regardless of the depth. I ended up in about 4 1/2 feet of water friday evening. It is always conditions permitting when its really shallow like that, especially when it's dark.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I look at the way the current and waves are "making up", taking into account were my boat will lay once I drop anchor. It is not exact science but it helps for sure, I'll say that on friday I anchored in a favorite outgoing spot and was joined by another fisherman who was about 50 to 75 feet away he got one with some small taps and I was steady right up till I left. It can be worth it to make a small move of only a few feet when you can, it can produce well.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Although not quite to the level that Bob has been producing, I have been scoring 20+ Bass a trip as well following the same strategy. I generally look for about 5 - 8 feet of water and in a spot that puts me up current of the bar/rip I want to work. I try to get my baits as close to the wash as possible without putting the boat into it. On the outer bars, if there is no wash, look for the rollers and find a spot between them and 7 - 8 feet of water. I have not anchored in the same exact spot yet, but all spots had similar conditions, and all produced good flurries of fish of all sizes.

P.S.

Avoid areas of high boat traffic no matter how good the spot looks.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sound advice from a fisherman who produces.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking back on Friday My Mistress, I mave have got the jump on you in the morning but you did better at the end of the incoming then I did. I like to think it was my skill that paid off on the outgoing but after seeing guys on both sides of me(close too) that didn't catch as well as I did, I have to say a little luck hit that anchor on the way down.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There is always some element of luck. Saturday a week ago, I had my friend out with me. I caught six stripers and missed 1 hit. He was right next to me with same setup, same bait, put his bait in the same location, and did not get a single hit. All you can do, is read the water, the conditions, track what has worked in the past, so you give yourself the best possible chance. After that, it is up to the fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the LE inlet?
I'm guessing from reading it is close to LBI,but noone there seems to of heard of it.I see you guys are also fishing from boats but would the inlet be good fishing from shore?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The Holegate end of LBI. I see a lot 4X4s on the beach when I am there so something must going on. LEI = Little Egg Inlet.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you say that no one on LBI has heard of the Little Egg Inlet? Hard to believe. It works from shore in the inlet, on the 18th the trucks were lined up pretty tight together, so something was indeed going down!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Here's a picture of LEI.....compliments of google earth. Can you find your dock..it gave me my dock GPS numbers exactly!!!???

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re-Bait,
You have too much time on your hands. I am suprised you didn't put the numbers for the white water in. I can give you the spot where Fun for One and Ironhead were last week, but I doubt that you would care about the troll. I will see you after the holiday, its off to Cabo with the girls for some r&r, and some fishing.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Originally posted by BLADE RUNNER:
Re-Bait,
You have too much time on your hands.
Don't get me started, heh heh just kidding :D :eek: ;)
:rolleyes: Have a goodtime in Mexico BladeRunner. If you could bring me back 1 or 2 fishing tshirts (large)that say cabo, I'll fix you up with a 30 pounder!

[ 11-22-2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Re-Bait ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by MyMistress:
Although not quite to the level that Bob has been producing, I have been scoring 20+ Bass a trip as well following the same strategy. I generally look for about 5 - 8 feet of water and in a spot that puts me up current of the bar/rip I want to work. I try to get my baits as close to the wash as possible without putting the boat into it. On the outer bars, if there is no wash, look for the rollers and find a spot between them and 7 - 8 feet of water. I have not anchored in the same exact spot yet, but all spots had similar conditions, and all produced good flurries of fish of all sizes.

P.S.

Avoid areas of high boat traffic no matter how good the spot looks.
I prefer 10 to 14 foot in depth myself. I just do not like the idea of fishing the whitewater. We chum heavy and it produced very good results every time out. I also like the incoming tide as apposed to the out going. Anyone going out Thursday morning. The weather looks be a bit snotty but we are going to give it a shot. Striper fishing in the snow would be kinda cool.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts