BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got the call ....nighthawk killed a 110" in morehead today, prior to today it has been 2 weeks since the last fish was decked...two other large giants were also killed, i guess it isn't over just quite yet. hopefully a few more waves come through. there is also a good wahoo/blackfin bite taking place well offshore in the stream, my buddys jay and sean are going tomorrow.

-josh

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nice report! I'm ready!:)

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Leaving the dock in a few minutes 2:30 am Friday

We were real close to the Night Hawk yesterday and watched them fight the fish. Cored out around 580 lbs I heard. Another boat broke two of befor the Night Hawk got theirs. One of our friends got one late on hi ay to the Big Rock to spend the night out in the 71 degree water about 6 miles offshore of where we were. I have some charter captains from Cape May that drove all night and just arrived and we will be leaving the dock shortly. 2:30 am Friday.
Decent Wahoo bite yesterday plus a friend Wahoo fished and then loaded up with Sea Bass on the way home. Acres of bunker offshore along 40-50 fathom line. Great day today with light winds and temperatures pushing 60 degrees. My friend had a hard time getting thru the snappers today to get to the Sea Bass and the snapper season is closed. Hard one to figure out with the bottom lined with them.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
just got the call ....nighthawk killed a 110" in morehead today, prior to today it has been 2 weeks since the last fish was decked...two other large giants were also killed, i guess it isn't over just quite yet. hopefully a few more waves come through. there is also a good wahoo/blackfin bite taking place well offshore in the stream, my buddys jay and sean are going tomorrow.

-josh

Nice fish! I guess if the market is down this year :)huh:) and the meat is quality then they are in for a nice payday.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Guys: I was on the "Nighthawk" when it caught the 109" 700+lb Giant Bluefin this past Thursday. (she cored out at 580lbs !)

Capt Mike Marro is a good friend of mine and we fish together in CT quite a bit. He heads down every winter to fish for these bohemouths. I won't repeat what others said about the fishery this year, but it's been very poor. My other fishing buddy (FFoley) and I go down to keep him company for a week or two every winter. We've been lucky go get a Giant every year. Call it dumb luck, but Capt Mike Marro knows his business and works very very hard.

The fish hit the deep planer around 9AM and nearly spooled the Shimano 130 in less than a minute. Capt Mike got the boat turned and came around on the fish with less than 25 wraps of line on the reel. We saw gold on the reel arbor !! It was a matter of seconds.

90 minutes later it was barely harpooned, but luckily we sunk gaff into her. It took 4 of us to get it in the tuna door. Kudos to his young mate Blake Conlin for doing the lions share of the cranking !

I'm still in awe over the experience. I hope he gets $30/lb for it. The fish will be at the Tokyo auction Monday morning. Oh yeah, a few guys said it was the biggest Giant Bluefin ever brought into Morehead City.

Enjoy the pics:

Capt Mike is to the right, I'm behind him in red and the mate, Blake is to the left.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
30 a pound

That would be amazing. Congrats on the fish but looking at the pix it looks pretty beat up. I doubt you'll see $30 a lb

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Congrats on an amazing fish guys!!! Id love to tangle with one of them someday :bow::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John,

congrats to you and the entire crew, that is a phenomenal fish.
your video almost makes me want to come back down to mhc,
two things i will never miss #1: that sick to your stomach feeling during the entire fight (loved the shot of the wind-on swivel nearing the rod tip) #2: shoveling 600yards of line

great job and great video

josh

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.