BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the other post is long and tough to follow so I condensed it after painting it this morning

As I got it

The tank is pumped out

I removed the tank

It was foamed in and was stanky and water logged.

Flipped it over to take off the 5+ coats of bottom paint

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found a real poor patch job on the bottom which turned a minor update into a complete redo.

Ground out the old Patch down to good material.

The stringer was broken from whatever was hit so the floor had to be removed to get to the stringer

The floor is up and the water logged foam is removed

The floor is up so might as well redo the transom since we’re this far.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boxes in the back are removed they seem to be more in the way than good

The boxes are out and the skin of the transom is off with help of friends

The stringers are water logged and a mess

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A pattern is made of the transom and a new support is made of luan plywood and 1808 fiberglass layers a total of 4 in all this thing is super strong. I used about a gallon of Epoxy Resin in it.

Patched over 60 holes in the transom, there have been all kinds of thing mounted on, in and through this thing.

The transom is positioned and Epoxied in place

I decided I didn’t like the boxes in the back of the boat, I’d rather have the space to move in lieu of the small storage space they gave.

So I made a pattern

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The transom is glassed in with 2 layers of 1808 on the inside.

The stringers are removed and replaced one at a time

Decided to use plywood the original lasted over 30 years so if the new ones last that long I’ll be 80 so that should be good enough.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stringers are installed and the boat is flipped over to be painted, figure easier to do that now before finishing the inside.

The bottom had 3 spots that need to be repaired, this is just after the final sanding

The first coat of paint

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Your doing really nice work. But before its too late, Those stringers are very thin and susceptable to flexing, which is probably why they were broke to begin with. David Pascoes site talks about the effect of stringers that are too thin. When I find it I will post.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I showed the patterns I made out of Luan Plywood in a few of the pictures the actual stringers are 3/4" Plywood with 2 layers of 1808 fiberglass epxied in. A number of guys are actually using foam for the stringers because the fiberglass is where the strength is. The original only had a single layer of course weve glass, they did last almost 40 years :D.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats how a restored boat is supposed to look!

I like your work ethic get all that wet foam out! I did a mako 17 half *** restore last year. I painted the hull with a light blue imron and white topsides and made a teak helm pod for it. Probably one of the nicest 17 Makos I've ever seen but it sat way too low in the water with a 90 honda four stroke on it. Those boats sure do get waterlogged. I didn't gut the Mako like you did and I wish I had. Thats why I did the Seacraft right like your doing your 17. I always liked the 20 foot seacraft so why not do it right. Did you raise the floor on it? I have a Mako 17 on the backburner as well but I have big plans for it. Gona cut the whole deck cap off and cut her down a few inches and turn her into a flats boat. I always wanted one. Anyway nice project and keep up the great work. I love when people aren't afraid to tear everything out of a boat!

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice! I am thinking we might have to spray my Whaler in your shop.
You help me push the Mako out and then back in again you have a deal. While ypou;re here we can do thtat 13 Whaler in the yard too. :D

Nice work - you post this on the classic mako web site ?

I had when I first started it but haven't since I started it again.

I like your work ethic get all that wet foam out! I did a mako 17 half *** restore last year. I painted the hull with a light blue imron and white topsides and made a teak helm pod for it. Probably one of the nicest 17 Makos I've ever seen but it sat way too low in the water with a 90 honda four stroke on it. Those boats sure do get waterlogged. I didn't gut the Mako like you did and I wish I had. Thats why I did the Seacraft right like your doing your 17. I always liked the 20 foot seacraft so why not do it right. Did you raise the floor on it? I have a Mako 17 on the backburner as well but I have big plans for it. Gona cut the whole deck cap off and cut her down a few inches and turn her into a flats boat. I always wanted one. Anyway nice project and keep up the great work. I love when people aren't afraid to tear everything out of a boat!
I raised to floor about an inch and will be moving the tank forward about 6" and the console as much as I can. I've got a 115 yamaha for it on a lift right now but if I could find a deal on a 90 I'd do that.

Your Seacraft project is great, I've got a 22 McKeecraft thats next.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Sounds good. Are you still gonna put that old Yamaha on it?
Ah...It looks like you revised your post. What are you looking to spend on a 90? A new one, or just newer? 4 stroke or 2? The only thing I am better at than spending my own money is spending someone elses :D One of BBill's 90 HP Commercial Etecs would look sweeeet on it!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.