BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
hey mike

could you tell me some more info
on how you made a mold for the back
two pieces. i see that it is a form made
of wood then covered with a metal- alminum?
but then what goes on next, is it fiberglass
cloth or something between that and the
metal?

i am rebuilding a seaway center console and the
back two hatches and a hatch on the floor are missing
i was thinking of making new hatches and then making a molded
fiberglass box to fit the floor hatch

any info would be great

thanx

kyle

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
hey mike

could you tell me some more info
on how you made a mold for the back
two pieces. i see that it is a form made
of wood then covered with a metal- alminum?
but then what goes on next, is it fiberglass
cloth or something between that and the
metal?

i am rebuilding a seaway center console and the
back two hatches and a hatch on the floor are missing
i was thinking of making new hatches and then making a molded
fiberglass box to fit the floor hatch any info would be great

thanx

kyle
I finally got the boat flipped over, I had to roll it outside and with all the snow that wasn't happening till this past weekend.

To make the form I cut out the section and then I layed a piece of cardboard perpendicular to the cut and traced it. This gave me the shape of the cut.

I Then traced it onto a few pieces of wood and screwed them together

I layed aluminum flashing over it and nailed it down

I layed plastic over the flashing

I then layed up 3 layers of 1808 and epoxy resin

I then cut it to fit.

I haven't installed them yet because I'm waiting to finishde the floor first. I've made one for each side of the boat.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thanx

that helps alot i measured everything up and
figure that i have nothing to lose if making the
box and the hatches dont work since the weather
looks like its going nice i figure ill give it a try

kyle
Drop me a line or let me know when you do it I might be able to help.

· Registered
292 Posts
Wow Mike, that is pretty awesome. Sorry didnt get to go fishing with you last summer. Had to prepare myself and family for my unaccompanied assignment to Korea. Cant believe its already been 6 months here. The fish markets here are insane though. Any kind of sea creature you can imagine gets eaten here! Well just wanted say this boat post is great and hello too. Hope your sons are doing well. Ernest

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The fish markets here are insane though. Any kind of sea creature you can imagine gets eaten here!
Hi man, it is crazy what they eat in Korea isn't it, I've not spent 6 months in country but probably about 2 months over a few trips. Dining out in the small towns was a real treat to see what was showing up on the plate. Soup, sticky rice and kimchee 3 meals a day takes getting used to.

Keep in touch and if your family is ever in a pinch feel free to ask for help, many here will find the time to help out.

· Registered
292 Posts
Hi man, it is crazy what they eat in Korea isn't it, I've not spent 6 months in country but probably about 2 months over a few trips. Dining out in the small towns was a real treat to see what was showing up on the plate. Soup, sticky rice and kimchee 3 meals a day takes getting used to.

Keep in touch and if your family is ever in a pinch feel free to ask for help, many here will find the time to help out.
Cool Mike thank you. I'll definitely stay in touch. As for the food here, you are 100% correct it takes getting used to. Weirdest thing I ate here was raw abalone "reproductive" organ! Wont be doing that again. Hey good luck to you this season. Hopefully you'll be able to get out more than the last one. Cooper

· Registered
6,800 Posts
Cool Mike thank you. I'll definitely stay in touch. As for the food here, you are 100% correct it takes getting used to. Weirdest thing I ate here was raw abalone "reproductive" organ! Wont be doing that again. Hey good luck to you this season. Hopefully you'll be able to get out more than the last one. Cooper
Yeah, I can remember taking Korean guys on my headboat back in the 80's.. Everything that came in over the sides of the boat they wanted...right down the seawwed...

Mike I couldn't agree more about cutting those stern boxes out of that Mako. At best they are just junk collecters, at worse they just eat up space back there and in the way just to step over..

What engine are you putting on her?? I'm pretty sure 90hp commercial Etec's only come in 25" leg then they have V6 gearcases on them. It would not be a good choice even if you built the transom to 25"... A regular 90hp Etec would be my choice if I was repowering a 17 Mako..and even cheaper would be a 75hp Etec. I'd bet there wouldn't be a 2mph difference between the two at top end because the 75hp is probably close to 85hp at the prop. The 90hp at about 95 at the prop. The 75hp would be 2gph cheaper to run..and both will be in the 25-28mph cruising speed.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, I can remember taking Korean guys on my headboat back in the 80's.. Everything that came in over the sides of the boat they wanted...right down the seawwed...

Mike I couldn't agree more about cutting those stern boxes out of that Mako. At best they are just junk collecters, at worse they just eat up space back there and in the way just to step over..

What engine are you putting on her?? I'm pretty sure 90hp commercial Etec's only come in 25" leg then they have V6 gearcases on them. It would not be a good choice even if you built the transom to 25"... A regular 90hp Etec would be my choice if I was repowering a 17 Mako..and even cheaper would be a 75hp Etec. I'd bet there wouldn't be a 2mph difference between the two at top end because the 75hp is probably close to 85hp at the prop. The 90hp at about 95 at the prop. The 75hp would be 2gph cheaper to run..and both will be in the 25-28mph cruising speed.
I'm going with a 115 Yamaha only because I have it already, if I were to pick my preference it would be a 90 just because of the less weight on the transom and really don't need to go 40+ mph.

I've been modifing the Console right now I took the stock console and added 7" to it. I cut it in half just above the front seat section, I can't see the sence in having a console that has the wheel at your testicles when standing up, nothing good can come from that. I stand whenever I'm under power so having the wheel just above waist level and the controls the same fits me much better. Besides its nice to have a windshield that actually shields something also.

· Registered
4,651 Posts
I've been modifing the Console right now I took the stock console and added 7" to it. I cut it in half just above the front seat section, I can't see the sence in having a console that has the wheel at your testicles when standing up, nothing good can come from that. I stand whenever I'm under power so having the wheel just above waist level and the controls the same fits me much better. Besides its nice to have a windshield that actually shields something also.
Mike: Good to see the project up and running again. When you are done, you want to redo my console as well? It is def low as you descripted. Do you plan on putting tabs on your boat? That was the single best thing we did for our 17, followed second by the t-top and enclosure

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Been traveling too much for work but have made some progress

Finished the center stringer and the tank box. I moved the tank forward 18"
and got my rigging tubes in. I was messing around with them way too much and just went with 2 -3" tubes one for each side.

I mocked up the floor and have that almost done. I used 2 layers of Luan and a layer of 1708 inbetween and will do the same on the top and bottom. I still have to finish the top and bottom yet and trim up the excess of the middle layer

The console is going to be moved forward about 18" also, I'd rather have room in the back of the boat than in the front. I don't plan on spending too much time uo there.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)

I'll be setting the floor tomorrow but I found a piece of the original stringer and cut a piece out of it and compared it to the core I cut out of the new stringer a little better than the original. I couldn't get a good pictuer with my camera but this gives an idea of the difference.

· Registered
14,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I have the floor in and starting to get it ready for glassing.

Joe I used the 45's to make as long of a radius turn to make it as easy as I could to pull the controls and wiring in.

I'm going to glass in the floor then install the side panels

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.