BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just bought a new 1780 dlx carolina skiff i didnt use it yet any advice on using a new boat for first time anything i should or should not do................... thanks .......

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
fishhead0524 said:
hi just bought a new 1780 dlx carolina skiff i didnt use it yet any advice on using a new boat for first time anything i should or should not do................... thanks .......
Going fast is nice..know where you are going at speed...:eek: :D

marine fuel guages never work right...

Keep an eye on your batteries...make sure there are no parasitic drains on them and make sure they are topped off and shut off when not in use.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Make sure you have a good battery
Make sure you have plenty of fuel
Don't forget the bilge plug like BB said
stay safe!
Start it up on "muffs" in your driveway. Muffs are like ear muff things for your engine that you hook up to your garden house, you put these over your intake holes on the lower part of the engine so when you start it up out of water the cooling system has water to use.

Make sure you have all required coast guard requirements

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishhead0524 said:
What engine is on it? Did your dealer go over engine break in procedures?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Here are A few skiff specific things to consider.

First off, don't expect to be comfortable or dry Carolina Skiffs are neither. do expect to get rattled even in a light ripple. Be careful on turns:eek: Skiffs being truly flat bottomed WILL SLIDE and they do so quite impressively when a sharp turn is attempted at speed. Do watch the wave heights as a Skiff has quite low freeboard. Don't worry too much about sinking, they just don't! I had mine filled with about 8 inches of water and she floated like she was empty.

Most of all have fun, they ae incredibly stable boats that can go places most can't.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
If it's not an Evinrude Etec is needs broken in. Let it idle for 10-15 minute before you leave the dock. Make sure it's pumping water and not overheating. Over heating a brand new engine is the kiss of death. Stay under 3000rpms the first hr and under 4000 for the next 4hrs and wide open blasts for no more than 30 seconds. Stay under 5000rpm till you've got 12-15hrs and no wide open for more than 1 minute. Always be changing rpms. Don't set the throttle at 3500rpm and leave it there for an hour. Full throttle hole shots to get it on plane are good for seating the rings, but don't let the RPMs come up past what I said above. After you've got 20hrs on it you can run it anyway you want.

Most engine manuf's recommend a 10hr break in. I recommend 15-20hrs before you run them wide open for more than 3-5 minutes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That motor break in is describe in the owners manual. If you have any questions please feel to call on my cell at 856-419-2965.;)
Your dealer should of when over the break in and show you the different features of the motor before you left. :eek:Its a 10 hour break in period all together.
Good Luck,
Capt Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts