BASS BARN banner

19 Fathom lump

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  2nd Chance too 
#1 ·
Has any one fished here for tuna yet and how did you do? We are planning a chunking trip next weekend and just want a little help. We have a 21 ft Hydro-sport CC with 200hp yamaha and 85 gal. of gas, so we are limited to were we can go. I just know I am tired of east lump troll and blue fish!

#4 ·
19 lump

fished the 19 and the tea cup area, maiden voyage for the lucky strike, (fishing on others boats alot) trolled the 19, and the olivia grace was sitting there hopefully chunkin for tuna cuz the water was 79 degrees. at the south side of the lump we picked our first yellowfin of the day, a 60llb class fish. had a first timer on board and popped his tuna cherry so to speak with that one, with no more hits we eased our way toward the tea cup region it wasnt a 1 mile outside the lump that we hooked yellowfin number 2, smaller.. 40 lb but still meat for the box, kept course and picked a 15lb mahi mahi and called it a day around 3. blue and pink was the hot color of the day. with the same lure producing, small jet head with bally fished off the flat line.

#5 ·
I was there Saturday as well. Same experience - a ton of bait, but no tuna. We started there, hit another bump and then trolled towards the tea cup - basically going from bait pod to bait pod. Water was a little better in that area - had 1 tuna bite on a spreader bar closer to the 19, but missed, caught a 10-12# mahi and 0-2 in whites in the tea cup area.

#6 ·
Fished the 19 Fathom lump on Saturday. Great temps but not that deep blue color you would expect. Tons of bait but no tuna or any other gamefish. Trolled 5 lines for 3 hours, lines in by 7am and not a touch. Ran to Massyes and wet the lines for another couple of hours and nada.

Maybe this weekend will be better. Can't figure it out, great temps, tons of bait but no tuna.

Be careful out there. That's a good run off for a 21' boat.

#7 ·
2nd Chance too said:
Has any one fished here for tuna yet and how did you do? We are planning a chunking trip next weekend and just want a little help. We have a 21 ft Hydro-sport CC with 200hp yamaha and 85 gal. of gas, so we are limited to were we can go. I just know I am tired of east lump troll and blue fish!
WHAT INLET DO YOU RUN OUT OF??

#13 ·
I trolled Masseys, Tea Cup, southwest portion of the Trunk, and 19 fathoms last Saturday with not a single knockdown. I didn't hear any reports of any tuna all day. Only an occasional mahi was mentioned on the radio.

I did this in a 21ft cc. Long ride in a small boat, but the conditions were nice and I was loaded up with safety gear (EPIRB, etc.). Otherwise, I would not have attempted it.

Love the blue water, though. Will do it again as soon as I can!

#16 ·
Cigar monday

:confused: Great ride out to the south end with 2 other boats in the water next to a scalloper. Water looking good @ 77 degrees. Lots of bait , but no takers. Trolled to the north end and headed for the ridge. Hand full of others in the area. Put some chum in the water and had lot's of " chickens " around. Could not get one in the boat. Small blues and a few bonita. Hope someone else did better??????:)

#17 ·
With a 21 ft boat it all depends on the weather, we hope the weather is as nice as it was last weekend! The water was like glass Saturday, we fished cape may reef and cruised at about 28 mph and were out there in less then an hour!
Hope to see some of you out there. My boat name is 2nd Chance, if your out there let me know, see whos doing what and on what.

How many flats of butter fish should I take? As you know this is an all day afair, also if someone could give me some chunking tips that would be great. Pretty new at it, normally just trolled east lump.

Thanks again,
2nd chance out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.