BASS BARN banner

1972 Seacraft 20 Complete Restoration!!!

33K views 64 replies 27 participants last post by  Fillet1 
I know all about the different resins my dad uses vinylester on his project boats. I like having more time to lay things up with epoxy and work with it as it doesn't kick that fast. The floor is wood that is glassed on either sides. The only right way to use wood in a boat is to use epoxy as it is waterproof. The wood is now waterproof and any hole that is cut is sealed with epoxy resin so there's no rot. The transom also has a wood core with a lot of glass and it is all waterproof since epoxy was used. The motor holes were drilled then coated with epoxy before motor was hung. This gave me the satisfaction of knowing the boat was safe from any water intrusion. I am going to be keeping this boat for a very long time so I wanted to do this one right and use the best materials. Same reason I chose Armstrong hatches over other ones I wanted the best product out there. I also chose the suzuki motor for the same reasons for their reliability and peace of mind. Hope this helps thanks for the questions.
Exactly...... When I was in Maine at my wifes services I got talking to a guy(a cousin of her's) I sold one of my rebuilt Grady's too. I had rebuilt it 22yrs ago and the same guy still owned it. Told me was still solid as a rock.. He had to have the fuel tank replaced about 5yrs ago and the guy who did it charged him for 6 saw blades getting thru the deck. When I rebuilt them I used Luan 1/4" plywood, 3 layers on the deck with woven roven between each layer soaked in slow setting epoxy. It just about soaks thru the Luan before it kicks off. Transoms I used 6-7 layers with WR between each.. I called them 50yr transoms.

Polyester/vinylester resins kick off too fast...no soak time when you are working with plywood. This is also why I say marine plywood is just a waste of money. You still have to epoxy soak it if you want it to live in the wet. Plain old ext plywood uses the same exact glue's that MP does. Unless it's sealed neither will live. Luan is bone dry interior grade, but it soaks epoxy like a dry sponge.

That's nice work on that Seacraft...lot better finish work than I could ever get.. My rebuilds were not pretty, but they stayed rebuilt..

Afew years ago we had a Classic SeaCraft get together in Atlantic City, some of us guys from classicseacraft.com docked at Flying Cloud....I tried to get it back the past 2 years but timing was off for most....maybe I will try to start something up this summer, If so maybe you can join in ,only a short run from Somers Pt...

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II
Three four years ago te guy that owns Classic Seacraft.con asked me to be a moderator on their web site.. Seems that after I vented my thoughts about Potter Seacrafts they tossed me off the web site.. All I said is that were not nearly as well built as the Tracker Seacraft's.. They went nuts on me...

BUT.... How many Potter Seacraft's are out there running in original condition?? Next question is... How many Tracker Seacraft's do you hear about needing rebuilt?? Morris cheapened the consoles and interriors some, but they put better stringers, decks and transoms in the 23's than Potter ever did...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.