BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
200 Minimum, 225-250 ideal. I have a 1979 21 Mako and it has the same deadrise, a foot or so less length, and can hold about 30 gallons less gas. And I run a 200 happily. 175 would be a dog in my opinion unless you ran a 15" or less pitched prop.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My previous boat was a 93, 21ft Mako CC with T-Top...first engine was a 200hp and I felt it was a little underpowered for me. Repowered with a 225hp Optimax and I thought that was the idea HP for that boat. Personally, I would not hang anything less than 200 on that hull. They are heavy boats.

Make sure you have Dunk go over it good....older Mako's are know for water in the transom and leaking fuel tanks.

Check out www.classicmako.com there is a wealth of knowledge there on older Mako's

Good luck

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Chevy,

I also have a 21 Mako (1988) and repowered last spring. I removed a 225 Optimax and put on a new 200 HPDI Yamaha. I get identical performance with the 200 with the exception of 2mph less top end due to swinging a smaller wheel...I get better mileage with the 200 and it is plenty of power. It takes a lot of forward momentum to get these hulls going and up and over the bow wave, but 2 identlcal hulls with the same power will see the longer hull run faster..so the additional foot of the 224 may result in a little more speed...175 may be working hard unless you run light. I run my boat between 3500 and 4000 rpms and see 3.5 to 3 mpg at 25-30 mph.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have an 88' 224 with a 200hp rude. When repowering the 224 I would pay close attention to the weight of the engine considering the scuppers and open transom. The 200hp is fine but I would like a 225 in the future. I think a 250hp is a bit overkill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input

I thought a 175 wouldn't be enough, I will look into a 200 or 225. Will also contact Dunk as I have heard there are issues with the older makos. Is this one of the "good" years for mako's?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes. Pre '94 is what you want. Check out classicmako.com for all your questions
After 94 the orginal owner of Mako had to sell out. That is when things went downhill. When you have some time there is the whole history on classicmako.com forum pages...interesting reading....

Good luck with your Mako

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.