BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alriight now that I found out all about the 36 Runaway it just sold, so now it's time to look elsewhere hopefully every boat I'm interested in doesn't sell right after I put a Thread up about it.
I've pretty much made my mind up that we want Cummins engines in our next boat, they're easy to work on and the parts are actually reasonable to buy for them. Looking into a 1985 35 Viking Express, the boat was very nicely restored, putting in some really high end Cummins QSM 380hp Common rail diesels. This is a really nice hardcore Express boat, nice big roomy cabin, strong well built hulls from what I can see it looks like they did a full restoreation on this boat, I know most of these boats I've seen forsale had teak decks, and I believe this one did as well but they were replaced when they did the restoreation and now have glass decks, which I prefer.. The boat is loaded with updates, they removed the old tower and like so many people are doing they went to a straight new hardtop, it's got a pretty funky looking Mast which has all the antenas mounted on it. I know the Viking boats have a great reputation, but I have heard there were some issues with some of the older models dureing certain years, which models and years I have no idea, so I'm hopeing someone has some input on the 1985 Express model of the 35. Anyone ever own one, fished on them or know anything about the boat? Even if it was the 35 Convertible any information would help about that layout as well. What do you guys think besides the obvious,me being nuts?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Hey Ron, glad to see I'm not the only one up too early!

I think that is a great all around model, but since I know you really like to fish, I feel the pit is way too small. Its like half the size of the L&H (there is one next to us) the upside is they use it as a summer home, its very and pretty comfortable inside, but not a hardcore fishing boat IMO.

There is another maker called Strike and from what I hear they will have several models at the Miami boat show, along with Capt Goldfinger's new 47 Release walk around.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey Ron there is a runaway 36 with c model cummins that is in well maintained condition in your marina I'm TOLD IS FOR SALE.You can look up Bruce under Tunanator charters I beleive his web is still up his boat is on A dock at breezee.You can give me a call if you need his number also 215-253-9238 jeff

·
Registered
785 Posts
There is a 35 that runs out of Morrisons, the Processor. There are quite a few guys on here that fish on it so I am sure they will chime in. The only thing I know is that they have no problem raising fish on that boat.

On a side note you are killing me with the asking price on the Albe, we run a 1990 325 and that breaks my heart to see you have to list that boat at that price. Good luck with your search and I hope you and your Pop get to enjoy man more days on the water together. Bandit

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ron we run a viking and love it.The boat you mentioned sounds great.how much range will it have as i think they had small tanks.just some thing to think about but with cummins it should be fine.good luck in the search.I know of a custom hatteras express with cummins very unique boat if you interested shoot me an email

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jeff are you teaseing me about Bruces 36 Runaway? That's the Runaway I've been doing all the research on and it just sold. I had found alot about his boat and it was all very positive, the engine was a perfect match tuned down from 450hp to 350hp that's an 8.3liter engine those engines tuned down to 350hp will run forever. Plus if they had them at 450hp it wouldn't gain you anything, that boat wasn't made for speed, so he's about maxed out where he runs it at with the 350's, that was a awesome boat, rigged extremely well. I would have loved to make a move on that boat and would have if our Albe, was sold.
Dan we use our boat for living quarters as well., if we were able to buy a Fish around, my buddy and I were going to buy a cheap double cabin type gas boat live aboard and split the cost. He's only off weekends and we mainly fish just weekdays so that's how we were going to work it out, even if all of us wer down together we'd have plenty of room with what we had looked at. You can buy boats like that to use as shore houses, extremely cheap, as long as it floats, and has a good AC unit we'd be happy. BZL is cheap enough that cost would be low. I had a really nice houseboat 36fter that my old Dr. buddy had restored, and lkept down by Chestnut neck. He was going to sell us this boat really cheap, and it would have been a great lived aboard, it's nicer and has more room then some of the shore houses my friends and I rented for the whole summer. I would have loved to have this back in my youth as a summer house, we'd probably have 20 people crashing on the boat back then, We'd probably come home from a night at Maloneys all firted up and decide to run the house boat out to the Canyon we were pretty crazy back in those days, I guess that's why they don't want them in there. They told me no go on putting it in the marina at BZL, it has engines that run , so I thought they'd let us put it in there, I could see if it was a house boat that didn't have engines or engines that run. I don't see why it is any different then the many big liveaboard boats in our place.We aren't going to live on it for the whole summer, but maybe that's what they just want to try and stop, but there are people that have lived on their boats all summer and then some. Two years ago a guy on our dock with an old Hatteras lived on his boat with his girlfriend and child from May until Dec. 1st.
Bandit it isn;t an easy thing haveing to list our boat so low, this market is absolutely brutal, I have a Thread in the Tackle box forum talking about all the people we've been dealing with, and trying to sell a boat we put so much time and money into for so little money. It's a better boat by far now then when we bought it. We spent 3 years, alot of cash and tons of hours getting it to where it now is. We spent more money on updates then we're asking for the boat. We definetly aren't thrilled about selling so low but on the flip side the boats we're looking to move into are also far below where they would normally be in a stronger market, so it kind of evens out. and we know we're going to take a big hit at some point so we figured we might as well get it over with and move into a boat that is better for our changeing needs.
I really couldn't tell in the photo's how much fishing room there is on the 35 Viking Express, it looked like there was alot of room in the photos, but photos are deceiveing. I know that 36 Runaway had plenty of fishing space that definetly was a hardcore fishing boat. We have a few other boats we're looking into, but our hands our tied until we sell. Maybe the Sale on the Runaway could still fall thru they have a deposit.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
hay ron when i was looking for a boat last year it seemed like everyone had some kind of issue. just sold, wrong moters, beat up, and then the albi came along. the right boat will come along. good luck on the viking that is a sick boat.:thumbsup: there was a 38 for sale on yacht world with new cummings about a month ago still might be there it was a donation boat price was right boat was mint

·
Registered
385 Posts
quit advertising and buy it Ron. Snooze u loose. I feel your pain bro I knew about that runaway also. You missed a good one Man. Mike

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've pretty much made my mind up that we want Cummins engines in our next boat, they're easy to work on and the parts are actually reasonable to buy for them.
Agreed, but don't forget that small displacement Cummins are parent-bore blocks, typically called "throwaways." Cylinder liners are not easily replaceable such as in a wet liner block. If you're getting brand new Cummins in your 1985, then no problem. If they're high hour Cummins or are tired you may have to consider engine replacement costs as opposed to overhaul.

Yanmars are dry liners as well. Not sure about 3116/3126 Cats. Comparable size Volvos are fully rebuildable, wet liner engines.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ron I'll call him

been living at Bruce's shore house for three years. him being a two boat owner he has no time to get the use out of it being the job/family to juggle.he has stated the boat is always for sale and I don't blame him I hate to see that boat sittin in the slip it's a nicely kept ride .

·
Registered
334 Posts
My boat is right next to Processor...you should buy that one so he can buy my 2001 Carolina Classic 35. :razz: We both raise fish.

I would only suggest that you try to find someone who has the lighter QSB engine package and see if the ride characteristics change any.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
AHHHH, the 38 "Special" without a windshield and with a new bow rail from Loosyana, HMMMMM, I wonder........

There are also plenty of 10 year old boats with modern diesels at reasonable prices that don't have 1900 hours on them, or a 27 year old hull:thumbsup:

Just sayin....:huh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are looking for a Viking Express you may want to consider the El Gina. She's a 43' that has been repowered with Cat C-12s (620 hrs) and received a fresh coat of paint from Jersey Cape a few years ago. Turns heads, runs great and CATCHES FISH!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I looked at both of those boats, the 440 Yanmars in the Viking 35 Express is nice, I just don't know much about those Yanmars, I know some are excelelnt engines, I also know 440hp yanmars ar e tough engine to work on yourself, and parts are high,but I may look at them some more, The viking apon closer look is a bit cramped for fishing room for a 35' boat, I saw one that the owner added 4' to the cockpit he had Holtz do the job and this boat is now and bad *** fishing machine. Is the Processor forsale? what's it got in it? If I go Cummins it will only be freshly repowers with low hrs.
The Bertram in FL I've talked to the guy several times, talked to guys who run them, they are incredible boats. Maybe one of the best Express boats in the 35-40 range out of all of them, Volvo D-9 500hp repowers WOW that's alot of power. Maybe more boat then we need. If I were in a different position and had time todo overhaul a boat there is a 1990 Henriques El Bravo that can be had pretty cheap, but when it comes to repowers it's alot cheaper to let someone else do it. If the Albe sells, and there isn't a boat we're really happy with on the market, we'll run the 20fter until we find one, it won';t take long for a nice boat to show up in this market, more and more are hitting the market evey week,

·
Registered
785 Posts
The EL Gina is absolutely tits from head to toe, always kept spotless. I do not believe that the Processor is for sale those guys have to good a time on it.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The 38 Specials are awesome Boats! The viking is nice also, older Vikings lack in Cockpit space however. We looked at a lot of boats before getting the 42' we have now. We passed on Vikings after we saw how small the cockpits are compared to the same size Bertrams..

The 38' Bert is a gorgeous boat. That would be my pick over just about any other express style boat in that size class!

Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts