1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
picked up a used 60HP evinrude for my skiff
it had been sitting for 5 years so i am told
did get it running on sunday and did a compression test when it was warm
top 124
center 118
bottom 120
i did notice when i looked it the center cylinder i noticed that the piston had spots where the carbon had flaked off and i could see the aluminum color. the top and bottom were black. is this something i should worry about?
also is the VRO system in 93 reliable?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
That looks like a nice clean motor. I would just do one of Dunk's decarb sessions with that motor. As far as the VRO goes, I disabled it on my 50 HP and I swear it runs better and starts easier on the premix. I dont know if I am just dreaming or not though.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
i just bought a 1993 grumman boat with a 93 johnson 50hp on it, it runs great, im thinking of unhooking my VRO and going to premix for peace of mind
Captn Chad can you tell me how you disabled the VRO??

Lippyat 13, can you tell me what kind of stainless prop is on that and what size?? im thinking of going to stainless

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Nothing to worry about lippy. I'd do dunk'd seafoam treatment as said above, it will blow a good amount of the carbon out.

I'd bypass the VRO. Those motors are pretty bulletproof, and that one looks clean.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
i just bought a 1993 grumman boat with a 93 johnson 50hp on it, it runs great, im thinking of unhooking my VRO and going to premix for peace of mind
Captn Chad can you tell me how you disabled the VRO??

Lippyat 13, can you tell me what kind of stainless prop is on that and what size?? im thinking of going to stainless
I am assuming I did it right because it still runs, but I just capped the oil line and unplugged the wires. I am going to remove it entirely for a basic diaphram pump, I just havent done it yet.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would like to keep the oil injection. wanted to know if it is a good system or if they have problems with them? i had a 96 merc. that worked fine , not sure about 93 Evinrude. my kids will be useing the boat and not sure if they will be good mixing oil.i have a chainsaw in the shed as proof of that.:eek:

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Most people switch after the VRO pump goes bad, hopefully without doing much engine damage. Fuel pump with VRO is more than double the price of the regular pump. If you are going to keep it just make sure all the alarms work properly.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
what kind of stainless prop is on that and what size?? im thinking of going to stainless
it is a 4 blade shooter (thats stamped n the side of it) canat see what size it is. i can pull it this weekend and look on the hub
http://turningpointpropellers.com/
this is a good site to see what prop u need. i looked here for my old 40 merc. when i wasnt happy with it and got the prop from there chart and it worked great

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think they are all about the same size. If you need one, I may have one too.
they make a 1.8 Gal. and a 3 Gal.
i have the bigger one and i think its going to be too big for where i want to put it.
i haven't gotten that far yet to see. i got the old motor off last night and i will start to install the new one this afternoon if its not raining

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the engine has been sitting for 5yrs I'd change the water pump and tstat before you even start it..
dropped the lower unit on Saturday and the impeller was in prefect condition. there was still grease on it, it was like the guy had it replaced when he had it winterized.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
dropped the lower unit on Saturday and the impeller was in prefect condition. there was still grease on it, it was like the guy had it replaced when he had it winterized.
Doesn't matter.... If it's been in the engine more than three years the blades get a permanent set to them. At under 18-2000rpms outboard water pump work like displacement pumps where the blade run against the cup they are in. Over 2000 they start to act like centrifugal pumps and the blades fold in. When they get the set in them they want to fold in too far and they won't move as much water as they should.

That's why outboards need water pumps every three years. 0 hrs or 3000hrs.

I mean it's up to you, but that horse looks almost new. I would not think twice about replacing the entire pump kit and tstat if I was going to turn it loose with my kids.. Those 55-60-65-70hp 3 cylinder engines are incredibly tough unless you over heat them.. Once you cook them you just throw them away..

Then make sure the engine is proped to turn 5500-6000 rpms. That 4 blade looks like alot of prop..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn't matter.... If it's been in the engine more than three years the blades get a permanent set to them. At under 18-2000rpms outboard water pump work like displacement pumps where the blade run against the cup they are in. Over 2000 they start to act like centrifugal pumps and the blades fold in. When they get the set in them they want to fold in too far and they won't move as much water as they should.

That's why outboards need water pumps every three years. 0 hrs or 3000hrs.

I mean it's up to you, but that horse looks almost new. I would not think twice about replacing the entire pump kit and tstat if I was going to turn it loose with my kids.. Those 55-60-65-70hp 3 cylinder engines are incredibly tough unless you over heat them.. Once you cook them you just throw them away..

Then make sure the engine is proped to turn 5500-6000 rpms. That 4 blade looks like alot of prop..
thanks Dunk i did plan on replacing the impeller.i was just amazed at the condition of this thing. i am also going to take the carbs off and clean them good.this thing was a good find, the guy was selling it for parts and i think i got a great deal. the only thing i dont like is there is no power trim and tilt but i cant complain for what i paid for it

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got it mounted. you should have seen this action, my son was not around so i had my wife help

i am going to have to find a different control. i have a side mount that i got with the new motor and i need a Binnacle control. anybody want to swap

i do have one on the boat but it must be a Mercury becouse the cables dont fit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.