BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I just got done rebuilding this engine. It fired right up and idled perfectly, he then purchased faria system check gauges and had to rewire the main engine harness to the control box. Now, the engine cranks, got a couple of chugs, but thats it, it won't start/run/idle. The guages work properly, engine cranks, we have great spark, so what am I missing ? Thoughts anyone. VRO related? System-Check related? . Please any and all ideas welcome.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
???

I am totally perplexed. It wasnt a total rebuild, just a powerhead (short block) swap, but close enough. When we fired it up 2 monthes ago after finishing putting it together, she fired right up, idled smoothe and I thought I was good to go. I finished up rigging the engine on sunday, and it didnt fire up as easy as it did before but it coughed and ran rough for a few minutes. I was tinkering with the throttle to try to get it to idle when we realized that the plugs were still only finger tight...we figured problem solved. I put the throttle back to where I started and it has just cranked since. It coughed a few times tonight, but didnt want to run at all. I tried ether, new gas, checking my fuel lines. It sparks like hell and I cant for the life of me figure out why it wont even try to run with the starting fluid. The only things that are different from when I ran it 2 months ago are that the shift and throttle cables are connected now and that I used a system check wire harness rather than the traditional round red plug harness. When I swapped out the wire harness on sunday it was time consuming, but straight forward and I just matched wire colors. The boat is hitched up and ready to roll to Wildwood tommorrow, any help to get this thing running would be greatly appreciated. I dont even know where to look at this point.:confused:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I am going to guess that since it was ok before you rewired it, its in your wire spliceing. You cannot just install system check to a red plug connector. Im guessing you only have spark while the enigne is cranking. One the key switch is in the run position you may be loosing spark. Check for 12 volts with the key on back at the purple wire on the enigne.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks Joe. I know I have 12v in the purple wire at the console/control end with the switch on. I didnt check it at the engine though. I didnt splice any wires either, it was all just "plug and play" at the engine end of it. The only rewiring that I did was at the control box because the wire harness I had for the system check was too long. I just cut it and put new rings on and swapped out 1 wire at a time being sure to match colors. Now that I have a clear head and thought about it all last night, I want to look at a few other things and I am thinking about going back to the red plug as a last ditch effort. It doesnt help that I cant find my repair manual right now, so I am running blind.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Time is runnin out Chad! j/k..we can always work on it here. Im having problems of my own with my 48spl. I went to turn it off yesterday, and it wouldnt. I touched the metal and got one hell of a shock. I think there is a loose ground wire in the box. Ill be messing with that today. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks Phil. We are pulling a control box off the cobia to check another control box before I re-wire again. Speaking of the Cobia, is there any chance that you have those pedestals down there with you? Andy was asking about them.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Good deal. I will give you a call later to give you an ETA and to let you know if my tinkering did any good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts