BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is our first boating season in the area, looking for some general intel on the bay. Never been on it before so we will have a huge learning curve. Boat is going to be slipped at Skinner Marina on Tuckerton creek.
Plan to do a little fishing, crabbing and take the kids to a beach spot so they can frolic. Not looking for specifics on fishing no spot burns but just give me general info like flatties can be had across the bay near LBI, crabs can be had here or there, a nice little place to put in for the kids and wife to sit on the beach is...Will mostly be spending time with the kids and wife, and she is not one to go out front in the ocean.
Will also go up into Manahawkin and Barnegat bay if there is something going on up there, but I think I will try and stay close to home port to begin with. Would also like to know is there's a public dock that you can tie up to on LBI near the amusements, would like to take the kids there. Or would I need to arrange tieing up with a marina close by....
Boat is a 23' Penn Yan.

Would also like to see if anyone would be able, beginning or mid June to take me around and show me the perils of the bay, shoals and the like. can either use my boat or theirs...

We usually have our boat south in DE @ Indian River, but wanted to try the NJ waters for a little time this season to see if we like it up here.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Welcome north, my dad used to have a boat at the Oak Orchard Water Sports club, they've lived down there since '86. There are flounder opportunities on the way out to the inlet some of the channels are 20' and have sharp drop offs. Be careful around the white barrels straight out from the Tuckerton creek entrance, there are some very hard sandbars out there and you'll find them the hard way. The channel markers are pretty good through there. There are some very nice sandbars to hang out on, the beaches that are in the area are closed for birds most of the season.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Google shows the sand bars pretty good. There are large sand bars that are out if the wster at low tide..good for hanging out on

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oak Orchard is where we have a house too! My parents are members at the IRYC, so used their dock last season. Love the IR bay and I know every bar and area to go. I hope to have the same fun here in LEH.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google shows the sand bars pretty good. There are large sand bars that are out if the wster at low tide..good for hanging out on
How about the islands in the bay, are landings possible?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
yes, but be prepared with green-head defenses...they can almost carry away a small child at times and nothing keeps them from biting you but long pants and a flannel shirt..they can bite through a t-shirt...and those bastard little black flies always try to bite you through your white socks on the ankles....

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was looking on Google maps and noticed a few boats beached at the far end of LBI, see link. Is this ok during the summer?

https://goo.gl/maps/P2kQC

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
NO..damn piping plovers and tree huggers....they close access to the Holgate portion of LBI from memorial day until labor day..or all damn summer..they also close little beach to access, so you have to land on the large sand bars to hang out and play in the sand..

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about dockage on LBI near the amusement parks for the kids, anything public or do I need to arrange something with local marinas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Greenhead defense!!! While playing on the beach/islands.... 50/50 mix of SOS and Listerine.... feels gross and messy but works. The other is Bite Blocker Xtreme... does not work very well for mosquitoes but the greenheads do not like it, they will light on you but not bite then just fly away. If you go near the grass island in the bay the greenheads and black flies can be unimaginable. Last summer I swear I had 200 black flies on both legs and 50 greenheads on the rest of my body at one point while kayaking when I got to close to one of the islands, it was like something out of a movie.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it. Stay away from grass islands! LOL

is there one or two articular sand bars people go to to frolic?

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haven't been able to splash the boat due to some repair work that is taking a lot longer then expected. I hope to be in either this weekend or next....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts