BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent 2 days in Islamorada and had 2 decent days fishing
Day one we fish a wreck on Gulf side and found Cobia 33-41" all caught on ultra light tackle ,what a ball
Couple of Jewfish 35-40" and I lost a big Permit,maybe 30 lbs. Had him to boat 4 times but on 4th trip he took off for the wreck and line got cut. Was a helleva lot of fun on the ultra light
2nd day went looking for snook and trout but after an hour with only 1 trout we decided to find some Spanish Mackeral and found them over a rough bottom in 10-12 ft of water.
Anchor and chum bag over and we proceeded to catch Spanish mackeral from 21-33". All on Ultra light and 1/4 oz jigs EXCEPT for 3 I caught on surface poppers. quite a sight to see one of these silver bullets hit a popper.
26 Macks in total
On way back in picked up 3 Tripletails
Water starting to warm up nicely but I have to come home

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like fun Willie! Bring some of that warm water home with you and sprinkle it around flat creek. After the lousy fall we need an early start this year!! See ya on the water.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AJ,, WATER TEMPS WERE 70-72

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No time for pictures, too bust tagging and getting fish back in the water :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
can't wait !! i made my reservations sat. 7 days on duck key!! rented a 2 bedroom duplex on the water with a 22' CC. going out 2 days with desperado charters in marathon. capt. lanny is a great guy!! then use the rental for the rest of the week!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like you got a workout on ultra light tackle!!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ramblin, an absolute ball on 4 and 8lb Ultra lites . i love the sound of a "singing" fishing reel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts