BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a late report for two trips last week in Sandy Hook Bay.

Fished for fluke for only 2 hours last Thursday on board my "Bertha" with my friend, Al. Ended with 6 keeper fluke over 17.5". I had 4 including 2 twins at 19.25" that were caught within minutes of one another on the same drift. My other 2 fish were both over 18" while Al's were 17" and 17.5". Used squid/spearing combos near the Earle naval pier in 18 - 25 feet of water.

Late in the afternoon/evening, we tried for stripers at the Highhlands Bridge area, but the dog fish were a nuisance. After catching at least a dozen within the first 45 minutes of anchoring up, we moved up to Romer Shoal where we caught and released 3 slot bass before the dogs again turned on hot and heavy. Some of the bigger ones were over 4 feet long, and they were a real PITA to release when they are so big and powerful.

Fished again on Sunday on board my "Bertha" with my friend, Johnnie. Started the day near the Coast Guard Ledge where I quickly nabbed a 17.5" fluke that was wearing a American Littoral Society tag. I added 3 other keepers up to 19.5" before the boat traffic picked-up and we decided to try dragging Ambrose Channel. Probably released at least a dozen shorts along with a couple of sea robins.

Despite a perfect drift, Ambrose was a bust from the #9 buoy all the way to the AC buoy. We managed only 5 shorts, a few dogfish, a couple of skates, a few sea robins and some big blues.

After wasting an entire tide in Ambrose, we returned near to where we started the day. Johnnie caught his first keeper of the day on our first drift ... a really nice 27 inch fish that weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces (see attached photo.)

Ended the day with 11 fluke in the box over 17.5". I got 7 and Johnnie caught 4. We both released several "bubble" fish that were between 16.5 - 16.75 inches. Also had a lot of short fish in the 15.5 - 16" size range.

Fish were aggressively hitting squid/spearing combos in depths from 20 - 50 feet. Dragging the bait along the bottom was not producing bites, but if you were actively jigging your bait up and down, the fish were all over it.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Excellent Report Gr8ful One,
And Thats A Beauty Of a Fluke, Congrats...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts