BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking that any overnighters we may try to make 2 nights out instead of 1, weather and crew permitting. Anyone else thinking of this or if you have done it, throw out some suggestions and expeiriences

38 ocean

Dave

·
Registered
434 Posts
we've talked about it a few times over the past few seasons, but havent worked it out yet.... hopefully this year

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sounds like a good idea

With the fuel price increase, a 2 night trip sounds like a good way to get the most for your money. The biggest hurdles I see is finding a 3 day good weather window, and carrying enough ice and refreshments for the longer trip. However, with some extra planning and luck, it good be a great trip.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I think that on the open boat forum one of the captains said that he will be running about a half dozen of these types of trips. Because of the added time they will add bluefin fishing and other misc. suprises to the same trips.

Sounsd great.

In Southern CA they go out for several days at a clip.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We have plenty of room for extra stuff for a 2 night trip but we fill every space we have with ice, about 500 pounds, and that just lasts us for a warm single day trip. If you have an ice maker on board, that would help but the good ones run $10,000+.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
In august during the bermuda highs it is doable. I have done back to backs as a rec on a 29 Topaz but never a two dayer. We only came in to offload the catch. 29' is just not enough for a ice machine... You really got to love it and it is only for the experienced, weathered crew. Also, you really have to like the folks your fishing with or else it becomes work work instead of fun work.The bigger boats, stoves, coffee makers, showers, nice quarters, I would think it would be very doable!! I don't think I'd try it on my CC though. Too much sun....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
We'll be running two-night trips this year. Weather permitting, overall trip length will be about 52-56 hours.

it is the best value but it also gives the charter the flexibility to focus on some specifics, like targeting whites or blues or wahoo, while still having the time to target tuna, tiles, mahi, and swords...

We'll carry 2000 pounds of ice on these trips...

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Where was everyone for the great ice debate????? ;)

Just kidding...:p

Once the fish is cooled down...keeping them cool is important...not necessarily keeping them near frozen.

With the price of fuel...installing a small 12V solid state cooling plate to your ice box/fish box may quickly become worth it if the 2 day deal becomes the norm. You might be divorced quickly also... which might free up some cash flow too!!!!:eek:

I think 2 days is the ticket...especially if the boat and crew are flexible for different kinds of fishing.:)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I found blocks of ice last much longer than the small cubes you get from an ice machine. Good coolers and blocks!! I let my wife go to every tupperware party she can. Then I steel them, fill them with water, and throw them in my basement freezer. I even freeze the square cat food buckets!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
At some point, doesn't the (social / familial / professional) cost of the time involved in a three-day trip exceed the savings (net expense) of spreading the fuel cost over two nights?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've done a few 2 day trips and it's a little tiring after 48 hours out there. One thing to remember is you still have the single day fish limit when you return to dock regardless of how many days you were out.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not so sure why everyone keeps worrying about the ice for a 2 night trip. We did several 2 night trips in the past and never had a problem keeping plenty of regular flaked ice available in our coolers and on the fish. The biggest problem for this type of trip is finding enough people with the time and money to go.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
2 nighters get to be a real pain. Usually you don't sleep the 1st night with chunking, excitement, etc, then you can't really sleep during the day and then another night of little sleep. I have done them, a couple of times, and if the weather takes a sh%t, which it often does, it makes the trip almost grueling. Another thing is that you would only be allowed 1 day's limit on fish if that is in the back of your mind. I like our 24 hr. Noon to noon trips. Great fishing and the end is always in sight!

·
Banned
490 Posts
You will def experience better fishing thats for sure when you can stay out there and figure out the water and how everything's working and your not scrambling with a time deadline

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I know that this is an incredibly radical thought, but one might also think about releasing fish. Then there is no need to worry about ice.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
We are talking about doing a few 2day trips. We figure leave Friday afternoon - troll till dark, set up and chunk all night - troll morning - if we have our limit or close - well head in. If we have none, or only a few fish - well be prepared to stay another night.

I did a trip last year where I fished Friday might, ran in, unloaded then reloaded and IMMEDIATELY headed back out. The run in and back out sucked and I decided then that next time I would rather just stay out both nights. Only problem was it was 2 different crews - only me and 1 one other guy were in common. I slept ALL DAY MONDAY!

If we have a weather window - we can set up a nice group of barners doing the 2 day thing together.

Then if someone decides to run back or limits - we can leave unneeded bait/ice for the rest of the barners that might need it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts