BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a twin outboard boat with 3 batteries, electronics on one and each motor has one, is anyone just using 2 batteries and splitting the electronics between the 2 other batteries or better to have 3. Why I ask is the I have a hatch that is covered by one of the batteries. Let me know what you think

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
You want 3 with twins.... 1 2 start each engine and one for electronics..

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Miss Hailey said:
I have a twin outboard boat with 3 batteries, electronics on one and each motor has one, is anyone just using 2 batteries and splitting the electronics between the 2 other batteries or better to have 3. Why I ask is the I have a hatch that is covered by one of the batteries. Let me know what you think
I'd have to check the wiring requirements for your outboards... buuuut......

How about moving one battery up into the cabin under/near the console. You run the engine wire to the batt near an engine...then something like a #4 to an isolator and then an on/off switch and then more #4 to the batt in the cabin that feeds the electronics. This way the electronics don't drop off when starting and if you are shut down for long periods of time...you turn ther on/off switch to off so you dont drain that engine start battery.

You can still use the batt in the cabin to assist with the engine start...just switch on and wait a minute or two and don't crank for long if only using #4 wire or so so you don't cook the wire....

Get fancy and put an on /off switch between the 2 engine batteries then you can parallel them up first if one goes dead.

Did this on my sportfish and worked great....with the electronics battery isolated no matter what happens to the starting batteries (like an engine rool fire on a big boat ...and possibly even small boats) you still have one batt for a mayday call....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
i have twins w/2 batts. wired them so either battery can start either motor, and both batts can start port or stbd motor together. 1 batt has the electronics, and the other has the float switch. havent had a problem yet. plus i always bring my trusty jump pack

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I am running 4 batteries. I would stick with 3.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have twin outboards and use 4 batteries. Engine has its own starting battery. The electronics and various bilge pumps are split over the other two batteries. Two batteries mounted by each engine and recharge while running. Each has a A/B/A+B switch. Additionally, I carry a pair of jumper cables just in case I have to go from one bank to the other. And I even have given some thought to carrying one of those back-up battery jumper boxes when heading off-shore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts