BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into kayak fishing with my brother. Was thinking about a two person rig. Anyone have experience with the set up?

Would it be just as economical to purchase two separate kayaks?

I have no idea where to start and I dont have the money yet, so, I am just trying to start gathering information.

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Ryan,
Here are a couple of threads in regards to mine and Bruces Ambush Kayak from back in the spring.

Ambush 1
Ambush II

[ 12-14-2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Strikes

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
When all is said and done...I'll bet you'll be happier with 2 kayaks.

A good set-up would be if one had a 2 seater (most aren't that much bigger or cost that much more and that gives the room for a decent cooler and storage..the singles are tight for "big" storage.

I'm talking about sit "ins"..not on tops...no experience there....plenty with the "ins".

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree. There are things to consider. Its obviously cheaper to get one kayak than two, however freedom is restricted. You must also learn to work together as a team while paddling. Not to mention to be careful how you cast. I know that ocean kayak co. i believe makes a yak hat can seat 2 plus a small child, and convert to a single person yak as well. In a perect world everyone would own a yak.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
barrell,

i am 6'0" and 175. my brother is 5'10" and probably a little lighter than me. I like the idea of the ocean kayak that can convert from two person to one.

how much does it usually cost to rig a kayak with the basic accessories for fishing?

RyanF

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I'll vouch for the Ambush as well, I bought it back in 2001 and have caught loads of fish in it, including 30 plus inch bass. Seat for second passenger has two rod holders, good amount of storage room and you can put a trolling motor off the back, already constructed to handle the motor. N-Strikes has the trollin motor thing down pat, I will by spring time. Me and my son have had a blast in that yak. Bay yak only, would not attempt to go over breakers with the ambush.

Also own a single, frenzee, with rod holder built into the back, good for paddlin/trollin on calm days, in close, out front.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Ryan, You are both light enough that a tandem should float the two of you with no problem. But there are disadvantages. Casting must always be done with the second persons whereabouts in mind. You both have to fish the same spot. The tandem is heavier ,wider,and harder to transport.
And although many tandems can be paddled as a single its more work to paddle a tandem by yourself than a smaller narrower single.
Try to demo alot of yaks before buying one. There are tandems that vary in price dramaticaly.
Dont save money on the seats and paddles. Buy the best you can afford as you will be sitting in the seat for many hours and good paddles are lighter and more durable. Rigging it is no big deal or expense.
Bottom line you can get two singles for about the same price as a top of the line double. Get the two singles.

barrell

·
Registered
427 Posts
paddles are a huge difference. Aluminum in my opinion doesn't feel as good as a fiberglass shaft. The feel of it compared to a metal shaft is much better. You can get one for another 100$, but belive me it makes yakking a better experience.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. I still have quite some time to research and make a decision. Hopefully I land a summer internship and get a little bit of bank.

Barrell, I will contact you when I am closer to a purchase.

thanks all,
RyanF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts