BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be nice to find out how each other made out over the 2004 fishing season.
It was the first year I kept a fishing log and ended up with 829 Stripers, 254 Weakfish and 92 Flounder.
In my opinion the weakfish and flounder fishing was a little slow this year, I only got out a few times for flounder and hope to get out more often this year. I had nine weakfish over 10 lbs with my biggest going 11.93 lbs. My biggest backwater flounder was 5.3 lbs and I had 3 stripers over 20 lbs with many in the high teens. I hope to get out as often as I did in 2004 this year and already can't wait for March to arrive. I got a new camera so expect a few more pictures from me!

Here are a few pictures taken through the season...

My new fishing partner....

[ 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Very Nice Frank,, Some Very Impressive Numbers
along with some great pictures,especially the
last one with your young'un...

Thanks,,

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had a good year but not that good! Stipers were the highlight. The Spring was ok but the fall was great. Some days topping out at 30 plus fish from land. Most Bass in the 23 to 32 range in the backwater and the inlets.

Weakfish was bad to say the least. Caught very few in the Spring run of tiderunners where in years past I caught double digit all 8lbs and over in 1 day. The fall had a good run of spikes around the bridges and sod banks but no size like years before.

Flounder. I don't really target them but did manage to get alot of them during the fall run at night on pink zooms.

Far26, how many days of fishing does it take to catch 800 bass. Awesome!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Frank great catch.Whats your most productive method for bass and weakfish,bombers,jigs?

·
Registered
453 Posts
caught 72 keeper flounder with 211 throwbacks. the biggest was 11.6 lbs with alot of fish in the 4-5 lb range. stripers well not so good-i did manage a few 30-40 lbs but that was not on my boat. weakies 2 small and all the croakers in the world.i targeted flounder almost every trip.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Very impressinve Far,
i know you put your time in for those kind of numbers bro.
well done !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.
Hey Joe, how have you been? I'm up for a trip to Baurer's pond, is it possible for me to come down one weekday sometime next week?

I fished a total of 114 days (nights actually) last year and it still didn't feel like enough! My only regret is getting out once in December as I am already waiting for March 1st. I guess fresh water fishing will hold me over, with the current weather pattern maybe our lakes won't ice over. Crappies, perch, and pickerel all seem to be very willing now.
Almost all of my fish were caught on jigs usually the good old pink Zoom. I learned a little more this year and now have so many places to fish the only question is which one to be at first.

I'm expecting the weakfish to be on an upswing this year, let's hope for a warm winter to get our season started early.
Hope everyone has a great 2005 fishing season.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Although I Didn't Get A Chance To Fish The
BackWater Nearly As Much As In Years Past,
Due To The Available Time That I Had and Making
A Honest Effort to Fish The Surf More This Year.
I Did Manage To Find Some Nice Fish Thru-out
The Season Picking My Moments and then
Catching Both Weakfish and Stripers on a
Combination of Different Plugs and Jigs....
Overall A Good Year For Me..Here are some shots..

[ 01-04-2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nice JOB FAR......i DIDNT FISH AT ALL!!!Tied up the the women...ya understand??probably not thats no excuse....Ill see you in march buddy....late

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice fish Steve, there were some monster weakfish caught this year. How big was the striper in the first picture?

Hey Sean, you missed out on some good fishing. Sounds like you had your hands full anyway. ;)
You know where I'll be March 1st at midnight!

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Although I don't get to fish from land as much as I'd like to because of my current employment...I do try to get out there as much as possible. The only fish I really keep a count on is stripers. This year I ended with 1,052 stripers. 413 from sodbanks, jetty and beach. The other 639 bass came from the deck of the STALKER. The biggest fish I had this year was just over 30lbs on a eel in the rips...the second biggest was on a bucktail that was around 25lbs in the rips... Also had 4 fish around or just over 20lbs off the beach and jetty on plugs and poppers. Many teen size fish thrown in there as well! I have to say over all, with the time that I could put in...it was a good year! Hopefully the 2005 season will be as good!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Good going guys.

I only got out fishing about 20 times this past season. On the stripers I managed a few in the spring, but had good numbers in the fall. About 20-30 total. For the weaks, I got my first tiderunner this past spring, 8#, and caught too many spikes to count later in the summer and early fall with a nicer one here and there. For the flatties barely got out, but managed 2-3 keepers on each of 4 trips, biggest only about 23".

Gonna start keeping a log this season to get more accurate numbers and learn some things. Anyway, nothing compared to what you guys did this past season but in the past 3 years that I have been getting serious about saltwater fishing I have improved in numbers each year. You guys are good damnit.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank,I didn't get any info:weight/length etc.on
that fish but it was my largest along the banks
caught during the Fall..

And I Guess I Should Include Some Of These Fish
That I Caught In The BackBays,.Although Not
Pretty But Interesting.. I Hit A Run of Both
Stripers & Weakfish That Were Either Sick or
Beaten Up During May.We Caught These Fish Almost
For A Solid Week in this Condition around the
OceanCity Area.Right Around That Time There Was
The PecksBay Closure due to High Bacterial Counts
and Reports of Fishermen/Boaters Contacting Some
Type of Skin Rash after coming into contact with
the water back there. I was able to send two
stripers and one weakfish off to a biologist
with NJ Fish&Wildlife to have them looked at,to
see what was wrong with them.. Thinking It Might
of Been The So Called FishHandlers Disease That
Has Been Reported Down in the Cheseapeake Bay.
Results came back that is wasn't,but they did
have some type of bacterial infection but
un-identified.... ????

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Strikes, I have caught/seen a few stripers in the Del river that have the red marks on them I just thought it was the river doing it to the fish. If and when you find out what it is or what is causing it please post thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve I experienced the same time frame with sick stripers (Pecks Bay closure). I found quite a few stripers with soars, but only in Ocean City waters. Funny I only noticed the soars on fish over 28 inches?
Thankfully after 2 weeks of what seemed like every other bass had soars I didn't catch another sick fish during the rest of the year. I was real surprised to see your pictures of weakfish with the same problem. Let's hope whatever caused these fish to get sick doesn't happen again this year.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Very slow year for me. I only fished 17 times in the back bay this year compared to over 50+ times the last couple of years(Girlfriend). Total was: 52 bass, 18 weakfish and 7 flounder.

Slowest year I ever had in the back, on the boat it was by far the best year. Hopefully this year will be a better one with more time to fish.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi Strikes
Pictures 3,4,5 look like columnaris but hard to say . It comes from stress usually a secondary disease and usually find it in water that is 70 degrees or more. These fish could have been caught and released but more than that caught on light tackle and fought to exhaustion . Just mu 2 cents from my experience
JBauer
HyBrid Joe

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.