BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the end of New Jersey's 2004 Fluke Season
Yesterday Let's See How Everyone Made Out...

Was the Season A Good or Bad One For You ?

Any Thoughts or Insights On What You Found
on the water in your quess for flatties ?

And What Was You Largest Fluke and or
Your Best Limit Catch ?

Thanks,,

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Worst ever for me in the back bays :( May was horrible, June turned on a little bit(had 3 limit days in a 10 day period) then slow pickins after that.
On the plus side, had a couple REAL GOOD days in mid-late August at the CM reef

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I'd have to say that this year was a very good year! It didn't start off that great for me, but it did get better as the year went on!

Running charters like I do, I'd have to say by far our besy day was with 54 keepers and just as many throw backs!

Also personal best for the year and ever was a monster 31" 13lb halibut(FLUKE) that I caught at the dock 2 days before opening day!

It was a good year!

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
Worst year ever for me. Only two limit days and had to work for the fish I did catch. Biggest of the year was a little over 7 pounds -- disappointing as well. Bring on the bass!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
besides the spring in DC channel---I would say it was the worst year in recent memory - I do not think a 1 pound fluke in 70' of water with 12oz weight is good fishin--I am ready for the Tog to get fired up--for me that is the best fall/early winter fishery--I am happy most anglers waste time drownin eels and spot--we are looking to break the boats record of a 16lb tog--which we caught 2 springs ago on the sewer pipe in seaside park--30ft of water---

·
Registered
908 Posts
This year was the worst year in back that I've
had in a long while. The keepers never really
showed in the places I fished. We had days with
70-80 flounder, but only a handful of keepers.
My largest was a disgraceful 3.3lbs and I didn't
limit out once. My best day was 5 keepers, 11
between three of us. The numbers were there,
the size wasn't. Never made it out front though.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I feel it was an average year for numbers. My biggest wasn't very big, maybe 3.5 pounds. Best day was 40 fluke total with 5 keepers. I didn't get to fish in August or September, but got 3 keepers on the final two Saturdays in October.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Very slow year in Delaware Bay. The fish were primarily north in the bay, with very slow action south of the Maull. Sure there were sporadic bites here and there, but it was nothing like last year. If you fished the upper bay, you could do good. And those spots were limited. Same in the back bays. The ocean bite was good while it lasted, with the mad dog bite at the reef and OG's signaling the end of the season in south jersey.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Poor year for large fish,early April run never happen,April generally is when large fish come inside.
My theory is a block of cold water 6 miles out stopped the migration.
Once water started to warm there were plenty of fish but not great size.
Limited out 2 times ,largest only 5'4" smalelst in years.
I did tagged 412 fluke from 12-19" so there were plenty of fluke available just no size
If you figure the small ones grow an inch a month in summer than there will be plenty for the netters with their 14" limit
I'm still catching 15" fish

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
About average up here in the Raritan Bay.... Not as many doormats as last year and the ones we caught were caught a little latter.... Limit catches were good during the early season in the back bay then slacked off a little in mid season.. though the guys i know bucktailing at the shrewsbury rocks had an excellent year... again limit catches were made on many trips in Sept. and Oct. .... Biggest of the season this year for me went 12 lbs 8 ozs at 33 inches...

[ 10-12-2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: broken bobber ]

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
what's a flounder?

I say that about weakfish as well.

Delaware Bay

maybe I'm not fishing enough?

I'm maybe speaking for the % of us that don't fish 24/7. Weekend warriors. 3 months, 12 weekends, 1 day, subtract out bad weather days, 8 times tops?

Bout ready to just fish spring and fall.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I'd have to say it was an average year for flatties as well.

Early Spring bite was non-existent. Learned how to bucktail the real skinny water by mid-Spring. Did OK there.

Bay bite was horrible. Ocean Bite was OK. Reef was on fire- then slow. On fire, then slow.

Off shore lumps did not produce for me this year.

As far as size- did not top my 7 1/2 pounder of the Spring before. Biggest was prob around 4 lbs.

Looking forward to 2005.

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
Inshore bays and back water in south jersey was poor, North jersey was good. The reefs and rough botom areas were good, a little better than average from Central Jersey south as the fish were in the deep all season. My biggest 6lbs. 7 oz. caught many 3-5 lb. fish. had days of 30 plus keepers 4 times. Had fish to 6+ lbs. every trip. Biggest fluke caught on my boat was 7 lbs. 9 oz. caught by Capt. George of the Heavy Hitter in late June.

[ 10-12-2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It was **** or miss for me this year. Had one great day and a bunch of ok days. We caught a lot of fish in 5 lb class and I was able to break 6lbs for the first time at 6.76. It kind of stinks that 2 years in a row that it came to screaching halt in the last week of August/first week of Sept.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i had a pretty decent year it was slow for a while bit really turned on at the start of aug the winds kept me close too many times this year

old grounds in aug 17 keeper one day 22 a few days later

with a 3 fish in 1/2hr run leave early due to kickin wind and a 2 hr ride home that day fish were there Bob was nervous of heavy seas

cape may reef 12 keepers one day
biggest this year was prolly 4-5lb range not a monster like my 8lber last year... but i got em in freezer

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Fluke took a back seat for me this year,as I mostly Marlin fished. ( glad I made that choice :cool: ) I had several dissapointing trips at Old Grounds, had a poor showing in the Duke of Fluke. Had one half decent day with Twin D's and Capt G and that was it for my season.

Maybe I get them next year. I am going to get better at trolling for them, I need to work on the
technique.

Captn Joe - Duke wanna be

[ 10-12-2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Captn Joe ]

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
hey joe i see you guys now using the limo shop i work for

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lackluster year in Del. backwaters too. Only 2 over 5lbs. and only one limit day. Oh well, bring on the linesiders.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Below par, biggest was 7lb 8oz, had about 3 limit days, had a lot of nice fish(5lb&6lber's), but numbers where way down, had a couple of good days at the old grounds and one real nice day at site 11. Next year will be better, come-on stripers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts