BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The map below shows Delaware Bay beaches which will be closed from May 13 to June 7, 2006 and Atlantic Coast beaches which will be closed from May 5 through Labor Day or later, as indicated . Various beaches have been closed seasonally since 2003 to protect a rapidly-declining population of migrating shorebirds. These birds stop over each spring to feed on the fat-rich eggs of the horseshoe crab. (For more information on shorebirds see the Delaware Bay Shorebirds Information page.)

Closed areas will be marked with printed signs and rope fencing from the street end to the water's edge. DEP staff will be present to educate the public about the interaction between the shorebirds and horseshoe crabs and the need to let the birds feed undisturbed.

-------------------------------------------------

[ 05-10-2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Strikes...although I agree that the birds need to be protected, I HATE this time of year. I can't even gain access to wade in most of the areas that I fish. If I get there early or late and get in the water, usually nobody says anything but last year I did get into a p*ssing match with a couple of birders behind my place.

Oh well, for the next month I will be hitting the oceanside, same as every other year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey...stop giving away my exact spots.....although you missed a few. :D ;)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Looks like Stone Harbor Point and Champagne Island are closed till Labor day? Can it be? Let me know if I'm reading it wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
ITS ONLY ILLEGAL IF YOU GET CAUGHT GO IN THE DARK QUIETLY DONT LIGHT ANY MATCHES OR LIGHTERS - I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AND DONT RECOMMEND IT NORE DOES THE MONKEY SCRATCH MY FINGER SMELLS REAL GOOD SOMEDAYS WHEN IM BORED AND OH NEVERMIND

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just came back from up at Reed's Beach where a group of these Red Knot watchers were setting up something on the beach.I asked one of them what they were doing and the reply was "Setting a charge to fire a net" The idea was to fire a net over the birds to capture them for a weigh in and general inspection.They did a countdown and fired the charge.By the time the net landed all birds in the immediate vicinity were halfway to the Delaware border.Meanwhile,down by the jetty the birds were eating up the horshoe crab eggs.Not one bird I saw eating was a Red Knot but there were enough Laughing Gulls there to give Tippi Hedron and Rod Taylor a coronary.And to beat all,after the blast I drove off to the angry looks of the homeowners running down their driveways thinking I just pulled off a drive-by shooting.Are these bird people for real?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I tried and tried to tell ya this is just the tip of the ice berg. I would also think that Diamond beach at the end of the Crest will be closed as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts