BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in the Fisherman that the regs have been set. "18" Bag limit of 8 from May 24th to September 7th. Sounds okay. Alot of time, money, and effort was spent on both sides for this issue.

What I don't understand is why? Gasoline is supposed to hit $4.00 a gallon on the street....probably be $4.65 at the docks....Diesel is already well over $4.00 at the street..probably be $5.00 at the docks. The flounder stocks don't need the Magnusson or the tree huggers to save them, the oil companies are doing that job on their own.

I see it going one of three ways....

1. Sell boat..buy sailboat ....outcome is..... line tangled on jib, jib swings knocks me out, fall overboard. At this point the boat makes it to France on it's own where some crummy Frenchman finds and keeps it.

2. Divorce wife....Find a rich 80 y/o lady who likes to fish. Heck one with a bigger boat...BONUS!! Outcome is.....I have to spend January, February and March at home with her by myself.

3. Bend over and take it like a man and maybe go out 3 or 4 times this summer. 8 fish over 18 inches..cleaned maybe 15 to 20 lbs of fillets. I figure at $10 a lb at the store I have $150 to $200 worth of fish in the freezer. So I figure....Tackle...$20.....Bait....$30 So that leaves me 21 to 32 gallons of fuel per trip to break even. God I hope my boat doesn't break again this summer or else this budget is going south real quick.

As if winter wasn't depressing enough? Maybe it's time for me to try surf fisshing LMAO

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Fishing Is My Enjoyment. I Dont Drink. I Dont Smoke. I Dont Do Drugs. I Dont Talk To My Wife;) . I Spend Time On The Water With My Son My Dad And Mom-ocassionally The Wife And Daughter.
Fish Are Just The Bonus To A Relaxing Day On The Water:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a life

I can agree about all the things you said but being a boat ho its just a little easier. People need a mate, I bring bait, rod, food, and a little gas money and we are off. If no fish well I had a hell of a time anyway. Good jokes and a lot of laughs. But usually come home with dinner. Certain guys dont even eat the fish :) Thats why they call me the boat ho. Any takers, give call anytime. 24 hour notice will do

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
FishandTales said:
I just read in the Fisherman that the regs have been set. "18" Bag limit of 8 from May 24th to September 7th. Sounds okay. Alot of time, money, and effort was spent on both sides for this issue.

What I don't understand is why? Gasoline is supposed to hit $4.00 a gallon on the street....probably be $4.65 at the docks....Diesel is already well over $4.00 at the street..probably be $5.00 at the docks. The flounder stocks don't need the Magnusson or the tree huggers to save them, the oil companies are doing that job on their own.

I see it going one of three ways....

1. Sell boat..buy sailboat ....outcome is..... line tangled on jib, jib swings knocks me out, fall overboard. At this point the boat makes it to France on it's own where some crummy Frenchman finds and keeps it.

2. Divorce wife....Find a rich 80 y/o lady who likes to fish. Heck one with a bigger boat...BONUS!! Outcome is.....I have to spend January, February and March at home with her by myself.

3. Bend over and take it like a man and maybe go out 3 or 4 times this summer. 8 fish over 18 inches..cleaned maybe 15 to 20 lbs of fillets. I figure at $10 a lb at the store I have $150 to $200 worth of fish in the freezer. So I figure....Tackle...$20.....Bait....$30 So that leaves me 21 to 32 gallons of fuel per trip to break even. God I hope my boat doesn't break again this summer or else this budget is going south real quick.

As if winter wasn't depressing enough? Maybe it's time for me to try surf fisshing LMAO
IMHO, agendas. Hard to sell papers, etc if you do not create a 'crisis'.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
steven brooks said:
I can agree about all the things you said but being a boat ho its just a little easier. People need a mate, I bring bait, rod, food, and a little gas money and we are off. If no fish well I had a hell of a time anyway. Good jokes and a lot of laughs. But usually come home with dinner. Certain guys dont even eat the fish :) Thats why they call me the boat ho. Any takers, give call anytime. 24 hour notice will do
WHERE IN BERLIN. I AM NEAR NARDIS

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
FishandTales,

It's "such an issue" because, yet again, regs have been set based upon false premises and political agendas...

Take a read of the other threads on the regs, there's plenty of info from both sides there... but I'll summarize....

Currently, the regs are set to acheive a number pulled from the ozone and set spectacularly high due to influence of environmentalist and anti-carnivore groups. The "science" used to justify said numbers, and related catch and mortality rates, is both outdated and flawed in method. Continuing down the path paved by current law will lead to a shutdown of the fishery, with possibly no reopening in my (or my childrens') lifetime. Some groups are willing to take what can be gotten now, to save their hobby or stay in business for a few more years... Some groups are willing to gamble that closing now might allow a reopening next year, or the year after.... Some are willing to gamble that having a 2 fish limit and a 6 week season will cure all, and that the bag would eventually go back up while size goes back down, ignoring history. Fishermen from the north catch at different times/location as those from the south, and don't agree on any of the season dates.

That's what the "issue" is... Us lowly fishermen can't agree on anything as a collective, and the whole time, the enviro's that want us off the water entirely are laughing at us from the shadows.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Without all the BS, we would have gotten this year what we are gonna get next year. ZILCH. Load up the freezer this year boys!!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Don't get me started!

TheAdamBomb said:
2008 had its problems, but wait 'till '09.
?2009? Adam I hope I'm 100% wrong! But sometimes I think half these guys don't know what's coming!

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
TheAdamBomb said:
2008 had its problems, but wait 'till '09.
Adam,
Who says?

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Pat, that is exactly the problem. Too few people know what will happen. Knowledge is power, and the general fishing public needs to get educated so we can preserve our right to fish for fluke and whatever other species may fall into the sights of special interest groups.

egghead said:
Adam,
Who says?
Cutbacks are inevitable with the flawed system used to calculate our catch for the season in conjunction with the approaching target date established by the MSA. What's your thought, Mike?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
TheAdamBomb said:
Pat, that is exactly the problem. Too few people know what will happen. Knowledge is power, and the general fishing public needs to get educated so we can preserve our right to fish for fluke and whatever other species may fall into the sights of special interest groups.

Cutbacks are inevitable with the flawed system used to calculate our catch for the season in conjunction with the approaching target date established by the MSA. What's your thought, Mike?
I don't thnk it is or will be anywhere near as bad as portrayed, I realize that the criticism of MSA and the system is mostly self-serving.

Too much BS. Want to join a discussion where agendas and BS goes out the window?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Retired & live in Berlin also....

steven brooks said:
Steve B. shoot me your E-mail address & I'll keep you in the mix, I like to keep the costs down & I don't always have a mate to share expense...Eric "SeaMaid" my boat will be in port Norris my 10th year.... [email protected];)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Adam is right , because of the flawed data that will come from 08 we will be way over again . Really wont matter that fewer people will actually be fishing , the #'s don t actually have to be true . But with this size the weight allowed will be gone quickly making next year a problem before it starts . The allowable and necessary #'s need to be addressed real soon or its gonna be silly for a while .

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
phish4fun said:
Fishing Is My Enjoyment. I Dont Drink. I Dont Smoke. I Dont Do Drugs. I Dont Talk To My Wife;) . I Spend Time On The Water With My Son My Dad And Mom-ocassionally The Wife And Daughter.
Fish Are Just The Bonus To A Relaxing Day On The Water:)
I like you already. Need a partner? :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The final 2008 flounder regs look okay. But I wonder what they would have been if the RFA, Save the Summer Flounder and all the other fishing groups didn't rise up and raise hell. Pew and all the other wacko groups are always around to ruin your day. You have to stand up and "draw the line".

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Putem OnIce said:
FishandTales,

It's "such an issue" because, yet again, regs have been set based upon false premises and political agendas...

Take a read of the other threads on the regs, there's plenty of info from both sides there... but I'll summarize....

Currently, the regs are set to acheive a number pulled from the ozone and set spectacularly high due to influence of environmentalist and anti-carnivore groups. The "science" used to justify said numbers, and related catch and mortality rates, is both outdated and flawed in method. Continuing down the path paved by current law will lead to a shutdown of the fishery, with possibly no reopening in my (or my childrens') lifetime. Some groups are willing to take what can be gotten now, to save their hobby or stay in business for a few more years... Some groups are willing to gamble that closing now might allow a reopening next year, or the year after.... Some are willing to gamble that having a 2 fish limit and a 6 week season will cure all, and that the bag would eventually go back up while size goes back down, ignoring history. Fishermen from the north catch at different times/location as those from the south, and don't agree on any of the season dates.

That's what the "issue" is... Us lowly fishermen can't agree on anything as a collective, and the whole time, the enviro's that want us off the water entirely are laughing at us from the shadows.
Very well put. That sums it up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
PHP:
[quote=roadkill]The final 2008 flounder regs look okay. But I wonder what they would have been if the RFA, Save the Summer Flounder and all the other fishing groups didn't rise up and raise hell. Pew and all the other wacko groups are always around to ruin your day. You have to stand up and "draw the line".[/quote]

You would have had a season that would probally be 2 fish at 19" and a 4 week season. NMFS wanted to reduce the quota a hell of alot more then they did, but do to the pressure from the fishing groups they did not.

Wait until 2009!!!!
You think your screwed now!! Just wait. Get involved now and educate yourself!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts