569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updating my tuna permit on
https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp

There are no more 2 tuna, 1 under 47, 1 over 47 per day,

2010 regs state 1 fish between 27 and 72 per day per boat

Kevin

Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

· Registered
8,050 Posts
As a rec and a charter that is fine. We couldn't buy an under fish all last year anyways.... Catchin dolphin, deep water wreckin, sharking, run her to the canyon, be home by 10:00, just some of the many possibilities.

· Registered
19,261 Posts
It will change before the season starts.....

· Registered
168 Posts
I dont agree. One fish is not enough.

Going out on a six pack, or on a boat with five guys and only keeping one fish over 27 is not enough. Sorry, I don't agree. Maybe it is for you folks that go out every day. Hardly worth it for me. Be ok if tjhe one fish that was caught is on the larger end of the slot size but you cant control that. This quota and slot size will cause a lot of 30-inch fish to be culled. Hope it changes.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Going out on a six pack, or on a boat with five guys and only keeping one fish over 27 is not enough. Sorry, I don't agree. Maybe it is for you folks that go out every day. Hardly worth it for me. Be ok if tjhe one fish that was caught is on the larger end of the slot size but you cant control that. This quota and slot size will cause a lot of 30-inch fish to be culled. Hope it changes.
It's give and take. I understand when a group wants to charter, they want meat! But, at the same time all the bluefin we have been seeing are BIG! And they just keep getting bigger. One 175-200# fish gives you a lot of meat. Bluefin doesnt freeze all that well and is much better fresh.

That being said, playing catch and release with these big girls is a lot of fun, especially with all the high tech super light tackle we have these days. One big fish will usually have its way to 2-3 people, if not the whole charter :)

On a side note, after you catch your bluefin, there is always the oppurtunity to run to the edge to get in on some, usually intense action with the smaller 20-35# yellowfins. And, when the wahoo are in thick (like the past few years) You can really put a good trip together :thumbsup:

Brian

· Registered
909 Posts
stinks..

:thumbsdown:that stinks.. you have to stop fishing once you get one fish, no more looking for that over fish..:( and I agree that is not enough meat, especially when you get into 60 to 80 lb'ers.. that have to be shared by 6 paying customers.

· Registered
9,252 Posts
Im with ya Bri

It's give and take. I understand when a group wants to charter, they want meat! But, at the same time all the bluefin we have been seeing are BIG!

Brian
I hear that swab, but tend to think that is true from the claw south,

there were 20#,40#, up to 120# mixed all together from the south end of the gloryhole inshore to the mudhole and up and out to the bicardi, that makes for some tough decisions when it comes gaff time .

From the reports we are getting from hatteras now, and the trend of the last 3 years, I expect to see alot more 200+# bluefin caught (and lost) this year from the claw down to the dog. :thumbsup:

· Registered
771 Posts
Excellent.....I'm all for it. Many charters don't want to play the C&R game, and that means I can run out and beat em up all day. And for those that think a 120lb fish isn't enought for a 6 man charter are nuts....frozen tuna tastes shitty, and if you eat fresh there is more than enough meat. Like others said there are plenty of other options for people to catch other species the rest of the day.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
I hear that swab, but tend to think that is true from the claw south,

there were 20#,40#, up to 120# mixed all together from the south end of the gloryhole inshore to the mudhole and up and out to the bicardi, that makes for some tough decisions when it comes gaff time .

From the reports we are getting from hatteras now, and the trend of the last 3 years, I expect to see alot more 200+# bluefin caught (and lost) this year from the claw down to the dog. :thumbsup:
Josh, Isn't it wild how that works? The fish we see earlier in the year down south and up to the claw seem to be a different body of fish than what the northern guys saw up there at the GH and AP :huh:

It's also said that those fish off of Hatteras aren't the ones we see here:huh:

But yes, its makes for difficult decisions. It would suck to toss back a 60#er and not get bit again for the rest of the day :thumbsdown:

Even if the regs go back back to the same as last year, it might be difficult to find my "under" fish, as last year it was impossible to find the smaller fish :huh:

Only time will tell. Hopefully we see a legitimate canyon chunk bite this year :thumbsup:

· Registered
149 Posts
It won't matter what size or how many in a couple of years if not sooner.

If they make the CITIES listing this April and fall in appendix 2 you can forget about fishing for bluefin and even yellowfin and that is for both the recreational and commercial fishery.

After the CITIES listing the enviros, who are well funded, will push for them to be added to the endangered species list.

It will be a thing of the past and it's looking that way for almost every other species too.

The government will own the ocean...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.