BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
11' Fluke Season Totals from the Opener to the Closer

All fish were caught on Fred's float rig, minnows, bucktails, strips of meat, and gulp swimming mullet on the STEVE-O out back. None of these numbers were taken from trips out front or to the Delaware Bay!

This Season (11') :

1. 21 trips recorded (log kept through the barn)
2. 308 fluke caught
3. 35 keeper fluke
4. This past fluke season was good but the numbers were way down from last year. We averaged 1.66 keeper fluke per trip this season. As you can see from 2010 to 2011 the numbers decreased dramatically. We typically fish the same old producing spots year after year. :eek:

Last Season (10') :

1. 26 trips recorded (log kept through the barn)
2. 725 fluke caught (78 tagged)
3. 68 keeper fluke
4. This past fluke season was awesome, many many fluke but compared to last year, more fish but the keeper ratio was down. We averaged 2.61 keeper fluke per trip this season.

09' Season :

1. 20 trips recorded (log kept through the barn)
2. 415 fluke caught
3. 61 keepers
4. Averaged 3.05 keepers per trip.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Way to go Steve!!!!!

Ended up shy just of 100,000 lbs. for the yr. Did pretty well rod an reel in the back also. Seemed to be hit or miss. Some days it was good then went back the next day and was slow? Wish i had a little more time in the back but just didn't work out this yr. One thing that was cool though was i released a **** ton of flatties over 10 lbs on gb this fall. I'll tell ya what, one of the most beautiful things in life is releasing a 10 plus lb flattie and watching it hump it's way back down into the deep.:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just an onshore angler fishing docks, bridges, Inlet beaches and surf. Got 26 keepers from 18 to 21inches using killies, Mackeral and Squid. Up from 11 keepers in 2010. Good luck to everyone in 2012.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
thank you for the info. stevo-o, i always look forward to your posts since we fish the same water, keep posting :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
2011 in back was seriously off for me. 7 KF to 23.5" on 7 logged trips. Out front was better with 57 KF to 24" on 24 trips. No slobs last year. Our JCAA and DOF entries were down. I try to keep track of shorts, but if I forget the Mr. Crappie counter, then I give up after a doz or two.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
34 more keeper fluke than I caught in the back. Nice job Steve -O!
Thanks Rage!!! :cool:

Ended up shy just of 100,000 lbs. for the yr. Did pretty well rod an reel in the back also. Seemed to be hit or miss. Some days it was good then went back the next day and was slow? Wish i had a little more time in the back but just didn't work out this yr. One thing that was cool though was i released a **** ton of flatties over 10 lbs on gb this fall. I'll tell ya what, one of the most beautiful things in life is releasing a 10 plus lb flattie and watching it hump it's way back down into the deep.
Niiiiiiiice!!!!

Just an onshore angler fishing docks, bridges, Inlet beaches and surf. Got 26 keepers from 18 to 21inches using killies, Mackeral and Squid. Up from 11 keepers in 2010. Good luck to everyone in 2012.
Niiice job JK! :cool:

thank you for the info. stevo-o, i always look forward to your posts since we fish the same water, keep posting
You got it Esox! :cool:

Let me know when your ready to make some $$$ Steve-o
Hey. Steve-o don't go that way.
:p :p :p :D

2011 in back was seriously off for me. 7 KF to 23.5" on 7 logged trips. Out front was better with 57 KF to 24" on 24 trips. No slobs last year. Our JCAA and DOF entries were down. I try to keep track of shorts, but if I forget the Mr. Crappie counter, then I give up after a doz or two.
Haha, yea its not easy but a counter does help! :cool:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Sounds like someone is ready for the 2012 season...:cool: Way to put in the work Steve..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
interesting to note that although you had a much longer season this past year compared to prior years and that this past year also now included a better window for larger fluke due to the expanded season, that the #'s for last year were still down. guess that says something about the health of the population :confused::huh:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
NOAA handbook of fishing management must state somewhere:
If rec fishermen catch is worse than previous year, fish population must be low - reduce rec fishermens quota.
If rec fishermen catch is better than previous year, rec fishermen are overfishing - reduce rec fishermens quota.
:(:(:(

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like someone is ready for the 2012 season...:cool: Way to put in the work Steve..:thumbsup:
Thanks Matt! :cool:

interesting to note that although you had a much longer season this past year compared to prior years and that this past year also now included a better window for larger fluke due to the expanded season, that the #'s for last year were still down. guess that says something about the health of the population :confused::huh:
Yes,it sure was!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I had a pretty crappy 2011 Flounder Season despite the longer season. I flouder fish 12 times and landed about 140 fish with only 12 keepers and I only had 1 keeper after July 4th. I spent 3 weekends working on my Grady once I finally got it back from the fiberglass guy and had it launched on July 4th, but I spent some good quality time in the 17 Mako. I had some epic days early in the season whooping up on the shorts catching 30-40 fish alone...despite the shorts, they are great fishing days and I love catching fluke on light tackle on bucktails in the Great Bay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice work Steve-o. You had a better season than I did, which seems to be the consensus. I had a much better 2010 (as you did). Hopefully 2012 is better. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work Steve-o. You had a better season than I did, which seems to be the consensus. I had a much better 2010 (as you did). Hopefully 2012 is better. Thanks for the report!
Thanks SJ! :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This will be my first year running a boat. I will be leaving from chestnut neck at first and then maybe somewhere else if I find something better or closer to the fish. I think Scott's is a tackle shop somewhere around mystic island, I looked at there website and they seemed very informative. I guess I will by some maps and look for some flats or channel edges that look promising. If that don't work I guess I will look for a fleet or small group and get the binocs out and do some spying. I look forward to making lots of trips and posting reports proudly. Good luck to all and look forward to some bay fishin.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wish I had more time to put in. I averaged about 1 keeper for every 8 hrs on the water. Or 1 keeper for every 20 throwbacks rough estimate. Mackeral was def the bait of choice. I think I got out about 4-5 hours a week.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
451 tagged 44 legal during the season, of the 451 tagged 11 pre-season were 20-23" tagged and released
I missed some good opportunity to catch Fluke in mid-June due to an excellent bass bite

1 - 20 of 20 Posts