BASS BARN banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I crab a little different than most of you I think. I have two pots that soak continually in the same spot when I’m fortunate enough that the job site is on the water. Used to have a very good spot but the client sold the house a couple years ago and I couldn’t get the dock boy in to the deal. Anyway I pick a few to six every day where I am now and put them in the frig for a couple days and cook em up once or twice a week. Lots of crabs where I am but keepers are there but not like my old haunt. Crabs and baseball... my favorite time of the year.:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Heavy or hollowed? Never did get the shedding time worked out.
Mostly heavy/rusty. Me neither, whenever I go and catch light ones, I take a week off. This is the time of year that the wife and I pick and freeze meat for crab soup and imperial during the winter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Delayed report From Thursday 9/24. Went to one of my late season spots. Had 15 traps baited with necks. It was dead low tide. First run only had two crabs. I figured here we go. Made a few more runs and was chipping away and then wham, it turned on. Didn’t have to measure many crabs. They were either big or small. Finished up with 65 nice crabs.

·
Registered
75,064 Posts
This is good to hear.
Work has limited my time in Sept. I plan to start in S. Jersey towards the end of this week then transition to Maryland in the following weeks.
Anyone worried about the temp dropping next week?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Bushel and 1/2 Fri, 3pm to 6pm...Start outgoing, Turkey Point, 25 Rings with necks....Took some topless and never used them...Too convenient with the rings...

Reactions: Joey O

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Here's 30 topless with floats...I use swivels to eliminate line twist and a bag because the floats are big enough to float the trap if too deep...Snoods in both rings and topless...

Reactions: Hardtop

·
Registered
657 Posts
Got the opportunity to get out yesterday. Got out at the top of an extremely high tide. Went to the spot where I got 65 crabs a few weeks ago. I was running 15 traps. After 4 runs only had 5 keepers. Packed up and moved into the Tuckahoe, another go to spot, it was slow picking but I was at least I was catching. All of a sudden it shut off. Picked up the traps and moved them into a little deeper water, 8-10 ft. Went to start pulling and first 4 traps were gone. The tide and current pulled bouys under. Ended the day with only 21 crabs. Frustrating day. Once the tide slowed a bit I was able to recover 3 of the 4 traps.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nice!! Took my pots out last week. They needed a cleaning. Gonna run out of crabs this weekend so I’m gonna put them back in action and see about another week or two. Another little cold snap here. We'll see if the water temp holds up.(y)

·
Registered
75,064 Posts
I drove passed Hasse's on old 47 Sat and they were still open. Do you guys think the late shed kept them more active this Fall? I don't remember catching Jersey crabs this late before. Still hearing reports from the Wye River in MD

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
11/1, Sunday from 9 till 11(rain came early) chicken legs, 24 rings...Turkey Point, 37 but the size is dropping...No females at all...Gonna give it a go 'probably' next week with the weather holding...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
No keeper crabs in the pots today. One or two little ones. I’ll probably pull them tomorrow.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts